Pentax K-01 In-Depth Review

Biro

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
I wasn't sure where to post this, but a full, in-depth review of the Pentax K-01 is now up on Pentax Forums. One might think that it would be biased in favor of the camera since it's a Pentax site, but Adam is (and has always been) quite fair and points out what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses of the K-01 without pulling punches.

Pentax K-01 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Wolf

Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
I wasn't sure where to post this, but a full, in-depth review of the Pentax K-01 is now up on Pentax Forums. One might think that it would be biased in favor of the camera since it's a Pentax site, but Adam is (and has always been) quite fair and points out what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses of the K-01 without pulling punches.

Pentax K-01 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
looking good, too bad it looks so bad ...:wink:

krugorg

All-Pro
Sep 26, 2011
Minnesota USA
Kyle Krug
Nice detailed review. I was actually surprised how well (not quick by any means, but seemed fairly accurate) it focused in low light.

Every once in a while, I get in my head that this would be fun to have with a 15mm LTD lens permanently mounted for landscapes and walk around architecture. You would have a relatively compact package with that great Pentax APS-C sensor performance (and IBIS to boot).

Julien

Top Veteran
Jan 6, 2012
Paris, France
Julien
Adam is (and has always been) quite fair and points out what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses of the K-01 without pulling punches.
It's good that you point this out, else I wouldn't have read that review past the very first image, which shows the K-01 and K-5 with grip side by side for size comparison. I really can't see one reason to show the K-5 with its grip, apart from trying the make the K-01 look smaller that it really is.

Apart from that, I've skimmed through the review and I've found it interesting and well detailed.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I really wanted to like the K-01 (being a Pentax fan) but I just absolutely HATE the design. I think its gross, looks like a child's toy, and spoils what might otherwise have been a very appealing alternative to my current gear. I'm sure many many people will buy. Its at a great price for what it is... but... I just cannot get my head around the design at all. I'd even prefer the Q... and I don't like that, either.

Andrewteee

All-Pro
Jul 8, 2010
That was a great review. If the K-1 had a built-in EVF like the Nikon V1 it would be more promising because otherwise it looks like an interesting camera. But to not have any EVF option is a deal breaker.

Biro

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
After reading the review I have decided the K-01 isn't for me. I'll probably either get a new lens for my micro four-thirds kit or perhaps pick up a Sony NEX 5N just for fun. I'd like to try the NEX system - just for fun and curiosity's sake - and this would be a way to get the same sensor that's in the K-5 and K-01.

madmaxmedia

Veteran
Nov 10, 2010
Los Angeles
I actually kinda like the design, it sorta has a German minimalist thing going for me. I wish the pancake lens were 30 or 35mm, 40mm is too long for me (but I wasn't considering this camera anyway.)

This seems like a great option though for existing Pentax users. I wonder how fast the AF is with other Pentax primes.

krugorg

All-Pro
Sep 26, 2011
Minnesota USA
Kyle Krug
I actually kinda like the design, it sorta has a German minimalist thing going for me. I wish the pancake lens were 30 or 35mm, 40mm is too long for me (but I wasn't considering this camera anyway.)

This seems like a great option though for existing Pentax users. I wonder how fast the AF is with other Pentax primes.
I still don't love the design, though, the black and white is strangely appealing (I still want a stormtrooper suit as well!). But I went for the black version, which I think is pretty unobtrusive.

They do have pancakes in other focal ranges, for example 35mm equiv., but they are just really little, not super tiny. :biggrin: Oh, and they aren't all that fast.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom