Pentax Pentax K-30 Official

Nope. I had a look at the DPR preview. It has some nice features. I just sold my K20, and have decided to stay with Olympus. Pentax makes great cameras, but I have been with Olympus (mostly), for 25 years or so, except for brief transgressions into other pastures. There is just something about them that I cannot describe, that I like. They are not perfect, and I wish for some things to change. But can't have everything.

Not for me - not enough of an upgrade from my K20D.
The focus peaking is only in Live view.
I like it, I like it alot, and Im so close to getting a K5 as they have dropped in price to silly money now (relatively!)
But I still feel the K5 is a better camera over the K30, but Im going to hold off for now as I believe that there isn't long to wait until an upgraded K5 comes out as the K30 is going to hurt K5 sales at the price it is going for.
And I think the blue model looks gorgeous (can I say that about a camera without being weird?)
I have that buying urge and the worst bit is that I actually have the cash this time!

K30 looks pretty good. Very close to the K5 in all specs, except direct controls and top LCD. I'd think that Pentax will likely come out with a K5 successor in the near future as well, because the K30 will likely cannibalize some K5 sales.

If this had been released sooner, I would not have hesitated for a second, to have it as a replacement for my K200D. I've stepped back a bit from wanting to sell my K-5, but only a bit. My purchasing will be defined by cash flow which is pretty much non existent at the moment unless I sell some things.

I owned a K-r for one day. I couldn't deal with how loud it was or the lag between the time I took the photo and the time it was displayed on the rear screen. If those 2 problems have been addressed, I'll buy the blue one. Then I'll see if it feels better in hand than the OMD.

I may have to trade in my K-01 for one of these... minimal size/weight increase and I would get the viewfinder. I hope this would make MF a lot more useable in daylight with focus peaking.

I owned a K-r for one day. I couldn't deal with how loud it was or the lag between the time I took the photo and the time it was displayed on the rear screen. If those 2 problems have been addressed, I'll buy the blue one. Then I'll see if it feels better in hand than the OMD.

I never played with the K-r, but got the sense it was designed to meet a price point? I can tell you that the K-01 is pretty snappy in operation and I think the processor is the same in the K30.

I never played with the K-r, but got the sense it was designed to meet a price point? I can tell you that the K-01 is pretty snappy in operation and I think the processor is the same in the K30.

I think the K-r was designed to address many of the issues in the K-x which was lacking some basic features that every camera ought to have. The one that made me sell my K-x on was the complete lack of focus points in the viewfinder... the only way you knew your shot was focussed was if a green light lit up in the base of the VF. But you had no idea which particular parts were lit. God help you if you wanted to play with DoF. It was very much hit and miss.

I owned one for a couple days. I had never owned a DSLR. While this is one of the smallest, I felt it was too heavy and decided that smaller cameras are more my bag. The IQ was great....focus snappy. I think it's easily the best value in DSLR cameras right now. I wanted weatherproof, too. I went with the Olympus E-M5 instead. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Back