Pentax Pentax KP

Aug 27, 2013
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Good question, Milan...I wonder about that myself. Except I think these days, people in many places either are obsessed with - or have a fondness for - the macabre. Look at the commercialization and marketing of Halloween, look at the proliferation of zombie movies and TV series, just to mention a few. My personal suspicion is that many, if not most, small towns - or, rather, small American towns - have a fair share of skeletons and skulls and eccentric-slash-weird 'folk art' .... it's just a question of being 'tuned in' enough to look for it. Or, as the saying goes, "seek...and ye shall find".

I wonder if I visited Zemun, and spent some time there, what I would find...or see. But, obviously, if no one really lives there, I'm not likely to run across too many random skeletons.

Recently I spent some months down in Mexico, on a writing project. Mexicans have even more of an obsession with, or fondness for, grisly images, than Americans do - from el Día de los Muertos (the 'Day of the Dead) - to Calaveras (the fanciful skeleton spirits who populate Mexican popular folklore, to la Santa Muerte, a skeleton Saint with a grinning skull face, it's a country with rich and excessive folk art, to say the least.

I think my fondness for the KP is partially due to having spent quite a few years shooting with analog Pentax cameras, and enjoying the way the handled...and possibly the minimal aesthetics of their designs. The KP - like its big full-frame brother the K-1 - is decidedly 'retro' in its styling - but I rather like that. I was surprised, too, since it is barely larger than my favorite micro 4/3 camera, the Lumix GX8 - and Pentax has a history of making small and optically excellent (and surprisingly affordable) lenses. Add all those elements up....it makes for a cool camera.

pictogramax

Top Veteran
Aug 18, 2011
Zemun, Serbia
Recently I spent some months down in Mexico, on a writing project. Mexicans have even more of an obsession with, or fondness for, grisly images, than Americans do - from el Día de los Muertos (the 'Day of the Dead) - to Calaveras (the fanciful skeleton spirits who populate Mexican popular folklore, to la Santa Muerte, a skeleton Saint with a grinning skull face, it's a country with rich and excessive folk art, to say the least.

I think my fondness for the KP is partially due to having spent quite a few years shooting with analog Pentax cameras, and enjoying the way the handled...and possibly the minimal aesthetics of their designs. The KP - like its big full-frame brother the K-1 - is decidedly 'retro' in its styling - but I rather like that. I was surprised, too, since it is barely larger than my favorite micro 4/3 camera, the Lumix GX8 - and Pentax has a history of making small and optically excellent (and surprisingly affordable) lenses. Add all those elements up....it makes for a cool camera.
[/QUOTE]

Right, and I must confess that to me also it is a fascinating topic. As a preparation for a project I will start working on soon, right now I'm reading "Devoted to Death" by R. Andrew Chesnut, a study of Santa Muerte, while awaiting delivery of "Death and the idea of Mexico" by Claudio Lomnitz.

As for the KP, the more I'm reading about it, the more I like it. I'm just sorry that it is a DSLR with an OVF and not a mirrorless camera with an EVF. I even found out that Pentax has one very interesting lens (to me) which is compact, has a good reputation and is not even that expensive (compared to similar offers from other manufacturers):

And this guy here has some interesting comparisons of Pentax gear: the CameraVille

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2013
Cheshire, England
Martin Connolly
Right, and I must confess that to me also it is a fascinating topic. As a preparation for a project I will start working on soon, right now I'm reading "Devoted to Death" by R. Andrew Chesnut, a study of Santa Muerte, while awaiting delivery of "Death and the idea of Mexico" by Claudio Lomnitz.

As for the KP, the more I'm reading about it, the more I like it. I'm just sorry that it is a DSLR with an OVF and not a mirrorless camera with an EVF. I even found out that Pentax has one very interesting lens (to me) which is compact, has a good reputation and is not even that expensive (compared to similar offers from other manufacturers):

And this guy here has some interesting comparisons of Pentax gear: the CameraVille
From what I have seen,the 20-40 is an awesome lens. It’s certainly the one I coveted when I’ve had Pentaxes in the past.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2013
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Hey, Milan---

Thanks for the Cameraville recommendation, Milan - I checked it out, it is a fascinating - and informative - website.

The books you are reading sound 'right up my alley', too ... I'm going to have to make a note of them. Incidentally, I was in Mexico City this year on Día de Muertos and took a handful of fascinating images. I'm on the verge of posting them (one of these days), will let you know.

The 20-40mm zoom has a superb reputation and also is quite compact. I'm actually tempted. It belongs to Pentax's 'Limited' (Ltd) series of lenses, most of which are remarkably small and brilliantly (optically speaking) engineered. Pentax has had a long history of making cool - and occasionally quirky - but often affordable lenses. Their cameras are not optimized for modern foibles such as video - but for pure photography, the KP is hard to beat. I must admit that after shooting with a micro four thirds camera with a superb EVF (my Lumix GX8), it was hard getting my eye (and my mind) 'acclimatized' again to the process of shooting with an OVF - it's really a different photographic experience - but I'm almost getting used to it.

Thanks again for the references!

[/QUOTE]

Latest threads

Top Bottom