Pentax MX-1 for $249.99 - WOOT!

I looked hard at the MX-1 last night, but before I purchased one I reminded myself that I just sold my X10 for about the same money and I don't think the Pentax is quite in that league. So I passed. Proudly. :)

I don't think so. I haven't used an MX-1 but I suspect the XF1 probably offers slightly better IQ. No need to have both or swap the Fuji for the Pentax. But I keep wondering if I should pick up a leftover (but new) X-10 at the going rate of $339-$349.

Same thoughts about the X10 as well! But what I do like about the MX1 is the brass!! But I'll likely resist ...

... I haven't used an MX-1 but I suspect the XF1 probably offers slightly better IQ.

Haven't used either (yet ;). But comparing the MX-1 against the Fuji XF1 here Pentax MX-1 the Pentax looks MUCH better across all ISOs and no matter if jpeg or raw.
(Even to the point that I think there could be something wrong with the XF1 they used.)

The DPR studio samples don't seem to do justice to the IQ of the X10/20/F1.

That's probably true. Also, studio tests often only have a limited relevance to real life use.

Still, I think we sometimes put too much importance in sensor size or sensor technology when it comes to compact cameras.

With compacts we rarely talk about the quality of the lenses. (Whereas with interchangeable lens systems we tend to obsess about lens quality. :) )

Long story short, I believe that the lens on the MX-1 gets it very, very close to RX100 territory - at a fraction of the prize (with this deal).
If this is true (or if I'm completely off the mark), I'll soon find out... :redface:

Back