Pentax Pentax NC-1 Kit to be Announced in June with $600 Price Tag?

Amin

Hall of Famer
pentax-nc-1-mirrorless-camera.png

According to Photo Rumors, Pentax is on the cusp of introducing the world's smallest interchangeable lens digital camera next month. Called the NC-1, this camera is said to use a 1/2.3" sensor, which is similar to many pocket compacts and smaller than the sensors found in such cameras as the Canon S95 and Olympus XZ1.

The NC-1 will supposedly be released in June with a kit lens for $600. Rumored lenses include an 8.5mm (50mm equivalent) f/1.9 prime and a 5-15mm (28-80mm equivalent) f/2.8-4.5 zoom.

Despite matching leaked images on more than one site, I'm still a bit skeptical that this product will see the light of day. Do people really want interchangeable lenses on a camera this small?

Despite matching leaked images on more than one site, I'm still a bit skeptical that this product will see the light of day. Do people really want interchangeable lenses on a camera this small?

Like you, I'm skeptical too. I've always been a bit bewildered by this rumour, though its been aound for a while and seems quite strong. The small sensor makes the whole thing a bit pointless as does the small lens choice.

The other rumour that Pentax are making a mirrorless APS-C CSC for their K-mount lenses makes much more sense and is actually quite exciting. Those limited pancakes on a small mirrorless compact camera, is very tempting. Its tailor-made for Pentax, they already have the lenses and the mount.

However this one seems strange. It goes with the rumour of a similar Nikon small sensor CSC. "Pro" Coolpix is what I've seen it called. ?????

Like you, I'm skeptical too. I've always been a bit bewildered by this rumour, though its been aound for a while and seems quite strong. The small sensor makes the whole thing a bit pointless as does the small lens choice.

The other rumour that Pentax are making a mirrorless APS-C CSC for their K-mount lenses makes much more sense and is actually quite exciting. Those limited pancakes on a small mirrorless compact camera, is very tempting. Its tailor-made for Pentax, they already have the lenses and the mount.

However this one seems strange. It goes with the rumour of a similar Nikon small sensor CSC. "Pro" Coolpix is what I've seen it called. ?????

Soundimage- Exactly the same way I am thinking.
A Pentax APS-C CSC for their K-mount would have me saving like crazy as soon as it was announced, as I have two Pentax lenses for my K20D that I could use and could swap down for a smaller body.

The sensor size just makes this a no go for me

The rumor of a second Pentax system is variably reported as an APS-C system camera that will take K-mount lenses or as camera based on their 110 system and taking those lenses. Also, different rumor sites are saying that the second system will/won't have a mirror.

It could be that the "other" system won't be here for a long time. The Pentax 645D was one of the longest rumored cameras ever to come to market.

I know it'll be noisy. I know I'll have refraction issues. I know I'll have no control over DOF. It looks ugly.

But I'm still tempted........... Wonder how it would go at weddings? ;-)

Gordon

I've been waiting for a Kenco, but maybe the Pentax fits the bill. Whether I buy in the first round depends on whether they offer a C-mount adapter. 1/2.3" is all about C.

Back