Pentax Pentax Product Development video on Friday - released

gordo

Hall of Famer
Name
Gordon
If anyone is interested, Pentax is going to air a pre-recorded web conference covering products that were to be showcased at the CP+2020. Friday, noon, Japan standard time.

Announcement here: CP+2020 | RICOH IMAGING

Will update with a link to video if I can find it.

Highlights.

New APS-C. Still working towards release by the end of 2020, although delays of items from suppliers due to the covid-19 might impact development. New OVF, 1.05x magnification to give a view closer to what you see through the K-1 series. Working on improved AF tracking. New battery grip with more attention paid to match controls and grip more closely to the body controls and grip. Plans on updating progress via the Pentax website prior to the official announcement.

Lenses. We already knew the DF-A* 85 was in development, progressing and they hope to announce "soon". New Limited series 21mm with DC motor and WR in development. New APS-C standard zoom 16-50 featuring PLM and WR in development. edit - they also mentioned future development of some less-expensive more compact lenses.

Nice lenses. Not sure about the new body shape. The viewfinder doesn't look as 'cool' as the old K series. Also not sure whats up with the nobbly dial on the right - looks borrowed from the K-01, Seems like a lost opportunity to make it mirror-less but I do like a nice bright OVF.

Nice lenses. Not sure about the new body shape. The viewfinder doesn't look as 'cool' as the old K series. Also not sure whats up with the nobbly dial on the right - looks borrowed from the K-01, Seems like a lost opportunity to make it mirror-less but I do like a nice bright OVF.

IMHO the nobbly dial looks like a less-featured function dial of the K-1. With the limited info released, I think it'll be a while before we know exactly.

As for the OVF - one of the things I've been waiting on in order to make some gear decisions was to see the direction Pentax was going to go with the OVF. I've always had problems seeing through Pentax APS-C OVFs without getting eye strain and headaches. Not an issue on the K-1. I'm hoping the K-new OVF is spec'd high enough it will be usable for me.

edit - that 16-50 update will pair nicely with the K-new.

Back