Pentax Pentax Q Lens Set - Your Opinions

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
So I have the Q7 coming with the 07 shield lens, 01 standard prime(8.5/1.9) and the 02 standard zoom(5-15/2.8-4.5).

From what I can tell, I probably will use the shield lens sparingly, The 01 prime is probably going to be the most used. The 5-15 appears to perform well from 5-12mm, but shows some sharpness issues past 12mm (based on the reviews I've been reading/watching).

I've also researched the other lenses in the system. As a complete kit, it seems to me that the "best of the best" in Q lenses very well may be the 08 wide zoom (3.8-5.9mm/3.7-4), the 01 prime (8.5mm/1.9) and the 06 zoom (15-45mm/2.8).

To the other Q users out there, does that seem a fair assessment?

Starting at the 3.8 side, the Q7 should give you slightly wider than 18mm FOV and the 45mm side of the lens kit would give you 211mm FOV. That's not horrible, if I'm being honest.

I could see me getting the 2 zooms to go along with the 01 prime and being relatively happy with that - given that I get along with the Q7 like I hope I will.

Just thinking out loud and looking to bounce ideas off of you all.

Last edited:
So my Q7 arrived today.

First impression. Despite its small size, it really is relatively easy to hold. A bit smaller than I would prefer, but I've tried using similar sized cameras and just didn't get along with them at all.

The 8.5/1.9 really is smaller than I imagined it to be. Just something about the videos I watched didn't give me the impression it was that small.

The menu system is easy to use and quite intuitive for most items. What surprised me is that the AF was rather peppy, even in my low light office. Exposure in there at night with just the overhead light was 1/40, f/1.9 ISO 3200. If that is worse case scenario and it gets better in good light, it is something i can live with.

More playing about in the daytime tomorrow!

Found a place in Japan that is selling an 06 Zoom (15-45) for $100 shipped. If I get along with this Q7....that lens very well may be mine! So far I'm liking the 01 Standard Prime. Have yet to use the 02 Zoom.

Last edited:
Back