• Cameraderie, a friendly photography forum for photographers and camera enthusiasts!
    If you are looking for critique, tips, advice, buying recommendations, or just want to talk to fellow enthusiasts then join now for free!

Pentax Q samples

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Just realized that the old Vivitar 100-300 K-mount zoom I had lying around has close focus!
Hey John...good to see you are still making good use of the Pentax Q.

Got a question for you. So, I can grab one of 2 kits - a Q10 with the 5-15 for $90 or a Q-S1 body only for $150. Would you recommend the Q-S1 because it is newer/bigger sensor or is there not enough difference to mention? In which case I could spend a little extra on one of the prime lenses, which look excellent from the samples I've seen. I was thinking of getting the 8.5mm f/1.9 and a Q body to partner with the Ricoh GR II.

Not that I need the Q for anything specific...they are just so inexpensive right now....it seems a good time to snag one to muck about with.

john m flores

All-Pro
Aug 13, 2012
Hey John...good to see you are still making good use of the Pentax Q.

Got a question for you. So, I can grab one of 2 kits - a Q10 with the 5-15 for $90 or a Q-S1 body only for $150. Would you recommend the Q-S1 because it is newer/bigger sensor or is there not enough difference to mention? In which case I could spend a little extra on one of the prime lenses, which look excellent from the samples I've seen. I was thinking of getting the 8.5mm f/1.9 and a Q body to partner with the Ricoh GR II.

Not that I need the Q for anything specific...they are just so inexpensive right now....it seems a good time to snag one to muck about with.
Hey Andrew, there was a noticeable step up in IQ with the Q7/S1 thanks to the larger sensor so I’d go with one of them. Of the two I prefer the handling of the Q7 over the Q-S1 (I don’t like the grip/knob on the Q-S1 and the plastics are a bit cheaper feeling) but image quality is more or less the same.

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Hey Andrew, there was a noticeable step up in IQ with the Q7/S1 thanks to the larger sensor so I’d go with one of them. Of the two I prefer the handling of the Q7 over the Q-S1 (I don’t like the grip/knob on the Q-S1 and the plastics are a bit cheaper feeling) but image quality is more or less the same.
Thanks. I'd definitely like a Q7, but can't find one right now at a price I'm willing to spend. That IR knob on the S1 does seem like it might be annoying. I might give it a try anyway, get there probe with it.

Thanks for the info!!

Last edited:

Biro

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
I have a QS-1 and I personally like its feel in hand more than any other Q with the exception of the magnesium-bodied original. But the original had the smaller sensor. I can see why some might not like the grip/knob on the QS-1 but I find that it doesn't bother me. I say if you can't find a Q7 you want at a price you're willing to accept, then don't be afraid to snap up a QS-1 at a friendly price.

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Well....I think I talked a good deal. Did some online sweet talkin' and was able to get the seller to part with the Q7 and 3 lenses listed above for $200. Not bad considering, I feel. I'll let you all know how I get on with it and post some images here. I'm most excited to check out the 8.5/1.9. I figure I can use the Ricoh GR as a wide option(28mm FOV), then the Q7 and 8.5 as an intermediate (40mm).

I might also look into the 15-45/2.8 if I get along with the system. Running the 8.5 and the 15-45 might be a decent little street setup.

Last edited:

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
OK...I've hijacked this thread long enough...next time I post here it will be with images from my Q7. But before I do that - update - tracking number shows that I shall receive the camera tomorrow! muwahahahahaha! :D I just hope the weather cooperates, for if not my poor pooches will receive the brunt of the testing.

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
SO, the weather is still not great...last night as promised, the pooch got the brunt of the testing. I have to say, not bad. Just wanted to check out the JPG for now. Did a little Lightroom fiddling.

1/60, f/1.9, ISO 2500 (lightroom tweaks and on1 B&W processing)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/60, f/1.9, ISO 2000 (lightroom and on1 B&W processing)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

rmcnelly

Veteran
Jan 3, 2018
Portsmouth, VA
Took the Q-S1 w/Ektanon 38mm/2.5 out today. It's been a long time since I've shot it and I forgot how fun it is to shoot.

Star dog by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Dandelion by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Ant on Dandelion by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Hoverfly by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Dandelion by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

20180406-160002.jpg by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

20180406-160043.jpg by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Star dog by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

Latest posts

Latest threads