Leica Pentax Takumar 50mm/1.4 converted to M mount

Raid

All-Pro
I bought at RFF a Pentax 50/1.4 SMC lens that someone there had modified with a self-made "thing", plus an adapter into M mount, with complete focusing capabilities from 07m to infinity. I love the Pentax 50mm/1.4 lens with my Spotmatic F, so having another one but in M mount was nice. The negative aspect of having this lens is that it discourages me to go back to using my Spotmatic F now. I just love using such adapted lenses. They are often hard to find for sale. Of course, the new cameras allow for use of almost any mount lenses, so maybe such adapted lenses become less useful (for their cost).

I tried out this lens on the M9.

i-36sMBf2-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-rkC94pQ-L.jpg

i-Z6tfkRC-XL.jpg

i-D2H2fn3-XL.jpg

i-5Xn5jQQ-XL.jpg

i-GsHC9F9-XL.jpg

i-BMggzH2-XL.jpg

i-mjBRDjk-XL.jpg

These images need some cleaning! There were dust spots all over the M9 sensor.

i-fzWWTHQ-XL.jpg

i-b37vVLs-XL.jpg

i-CbWpw8B.jpg

They look really good- I did a home-hack on a Pentax 50/1.4 as well. Also set the rear group under a UV light for a few days to cure the yellow. Yours must have been "cured" as well.

I picked up an SMC Pentax 50/1.4 as well, for use on my M42 mount cameras.

I got mine from Paul (at RFF) who got his from Roland (who did the adapting).
The 50/1.4 is as good as the pre-asph Summilux, according to some users.

Stopped down a bit- yes, but wide-open: the Summilux 50/1.4 tested better than all of the then-current SLR lenses. Pop Photo did a test in 1976. The Konica 50/1.7 tested out the equal of the Summicron. I adapted that lens to M-Mount as well, was a real Hack.

Thanks.
Yes, I have many 50mm lenses, but this is part of the enjoyment of photography. I try to use them all. The adapting to M mount was needed in my case so that I can use the Takumar on my digital Leica cameras. The total cost may have been lower than $250 for the adapted lens, and what could I get as a fast 50mm lens with M or LTM mounts at such a cost? Maybe some FSU lens.

Stopped down a bit- yes, but wide-open: the Summilux 50/1.4 tested better than all of the then-current SLR lenses. Pop Photo did a test in 1976. The Konica 50/1.7 tested out the equal of the Summicron. I adapted that lens to M-Mount as well, was a real Hack.

Not all photos are taken wide open, Brian. Then consider the cost.
I would like to use one day (when we will be neighbors) your Konica lens!
I have been trying for a while to find a way to have someone adapt my Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 (in QBM mount) to M. Amedeo offered such a service briefly, and I waited too long to ask him to do it for me. He then decided not to offer such a service anymore. It would match the new SONY cameras.

Back