Film People have asked, What was your first camera?

Me a long time ago with the first and only movie camera I used. My mother bought this for my father in the 1950s, I think it cost quite a bit back then. It has 1400 watts on a light bar so it was literally a death-ray. If you look at the indoor movies taken with it back in the day everyone is either squinting like someone threw sand in their eyes or has their hand in front of their face like they are looking at the sun. . On top of that the button to activate the camera was on the front-bottom so it was easy to burn your hand on the bulb by it. A few years ago one evening I dragged it out and told my wife, "Watch how bright the lights are for this camera.", to which she replied "Do you want me to turn out the lights so it shows up better?", and I said "That will not be necessary.". From the outside our house probably looked like an A-bomb went off in the livingroom.

me 8mm lights.jpg

The first camera I used was my dad's Pentax S1a initially with an external hand-held meter and then with one that clipped on top of the pentaprism. Later he let me use his Pentax SP500.

The first camera I bought after my university graduation was the Minolta XG-M along with a Sigma 28mm and Sigma 80-200mm zoom.
DSCF3579_1600px.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After I few years I added the Minolta XD (XD-11 in some parts of the world). I used that for many years (usually print film in one for family photos and slide film in the other for travel photos). Finally entered the digital world in about 2006 with a point-and-shoot camera (Nikon L4).
DSCF3578_1600px.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I sold the two cameras and one Minolta MD 50mm f/2 lens and the Sigma 28mm to KEH when they came to town in about 2016 or 2017. I still have one of the Minolta MD 50mm f/2 lenses that I used first with my Fujifilm X-A1 and now with the X-T5. After getting the X-A1 I found a 70s-era Minolta MC Rokkor-QF 50mm macro lens and later the Minolta MC 300mm f4.5 lens. I haven't found the 300mm lens to be very sharp and the Sigma 80-200 zoom seems to have suffered from a drop, although I'm not sure it was ever very sharp.

Last edited:
Back