Film People have asked, What was your first camera?

Richard

All-Pro
My first camera was an Olympus Trip 35, passed down to me by my father when he bought himself something better.

I'm not sure what happened to it, but I have a suspicion it was traded in for an Olympus XA4 along the way. I still have that.

-R

MiguelATF

Hall of Famer
Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Technically it wasn't "my" first camera - it was my father's old Leica but it was sitting unused at the time as he was taking pictures with his Nikon F - and he generously allowed me to use it for several years and I don't remember how many rolls of mainly Tri-X. The camera has gone to a different home now - but this picture, which I took in 2013, brings back many memories.

My father's Leica (Kodachrome Mem).jpg

Technically it wasn't "my" first camera - it was my father's old Leica but it was sitting unused at the time as he was taking pictures with his Nikon F - and he generously allowed me to use it for several years and I don't remember how many rolls of mainly Tri-X. The camera has gone to a different home now - but this picture, which I took in 2013, brings back many memories.

View attachment 216287
Got that lived with look

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Real Name
Andrew
My first camera was actually the “family” camera. We couldn’t afford anything else, but I became the one to use it most.

CB74BD6D-CC10-40EA-A087-DF3B8CD39FA2.jpeg

we would occasionally get film and a flash bar and take pictures during family events like birthdays.

It wasn’t until I was much older that I thought of photography as something special to me. Then the gear race began. Thankfully that has slowed down a lot recently and has not been as heated as it once was.

I do splurge from time to time on recreational gear, but my work gear is normally in an8-10 year replacement cycle.

if that stands true, then I still have quite a few years to go on the D500 and Z6 combo I’m sporting now!!

Harry Cutts

Veteran
Real Name
Harry
My first camera was a cheap Prinz instamatic which took (i think) 126 cartridges. It was bought when I got a job working in an Hotel on Tresco in the Isles of Scilly way back in 1972. It was ok for what it was but I soon became frustrated by its limitations. When I returned home to Sheffield I purchased a Ricoh KR5 with 50mm lens and was hooked.

Latest threads

Top Bottom