Fuji People You Meet

Derek HAll

Regular
Last night I met a gentleman while trying to take a landscape picture in my local park, over looking the shore. Loudly from a distance he approached me and forcefully suggested i take his picture, as I would never get a picture of an Irishman like him. After our long conversation I believe that might be true. Anyway, how could I refuse such a character! So I swung the camera around on the tripod and quickly fulfilled his request. There was no time for composition or even to consider focus. Just capture the moment, hope everyone is happy and pray that would be the end of it.

However, during the evening various people came over to me to ask what I was looking at or what was it i saw. It was my first outdoor opportunity to use my Manfrotto tripod, and it would seems from last nights experience, a camera on a tripod convinces everyone you are a professional, even when all you hoped for was a quiet night to know your hobby better.

Here is the image taken of this unusual character - The Irishman And Alfie

Anyone else have similar stories of attracting unwanted attention or meeting interesting people simply because you are using a tripod?

White Canvas Images

That's a great story Derek! I'm afraid it's been many, many years since I've used a tripod. I'm not at all surprised that you garnered such interest. This might be an interesting series to consider - portraits of the strangers who approach you? Clearly the fellow in your photo was a real character - and I love the way his little dog is all a blur! I'm guessing he was some kind of terrier - perhaps a Welsh Terrier, and a bit feisty like his owner.:wink_old:

It would be great if you could embed your photos using the Flickr BBcode instead of using a link, if possible?

I think your quiet moment brought about a gift.

That's a great story Derek! I'm afraid it's been many, many years since I've used a tripod. I'm not at all surprised that you garnered such interest. This might be an interesting series to consider - portraits of the strangers who approach you? Clearly the fellow in your photo was a real character - and I love the way his little dog is all a blur! I'm guessing he was some kind of terrier - perhaps a Welsh Terrier, and a bit feisty like his owner.:wink_old:

It would be great if you could embed your photos using the Flickr BBcode instead of using a link, if possible?

I think your quiet moment brought about a gift.

It was a story to remember and a real character. Sorry, I forgot I could use a Flickr BBcode to link photos to the website. Thank you for mentioning it, I'll try to do this in future.

If your right and tripods cause this much attention, then a portrait project of approaching strangers might be a great idea. I'm keen to start a project idea.

Cheers

It certainly would be an interesting project - plus, I know I'd like to read about the circumstances... Different locations will surely attract different types of an audience/subjects. Please keep us posted! If you do, do this, I'd start a completely new thread explaining your idea in the Image section - under Portraits, perhaps?

It certainly would be an interesting project - plus, I know I'd like to read about the circumstances... Different locations will surely attract different types of an audience/subjects. Please keep us posted! If you do, do this, I'd start a completely new thread explaining your idea in the Image section - under Portraits, perhaps?

Thank you for the encouragement. I will keep you informed.

Meet Hans from Germany. (similar story)

_1010029.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was doing some street shooting around downtown Los Angeles and this guy saw me take a photo of him. He chased me down for four blocks then asked why I wanted his photograph. I told him he looked like an interesting person and wanted a candid shot of him. He then told me wanted to pose because he looks better that way.

8440010950_762a9607d6_b.jpg

Byron by dacalac, on Flickr

I was doing some street shooting around downtown Los Angeles and this guy saw me take a photo of him. He chased me down for four blocks then asked why I wanted his photograph. I told him he looked like an interesting person and wanted a candid shot of him. He then told me wanted to pose because he looks better that way.

8440010950_762a9607d6_b.jpg

Byron by dacalac, on Flickr

That's a fantastic story, all he wanted was his picture taken well. :)

In my case I wasn't even looking his direction, never mind trying to catch a candid moment. However I do like taking street photography and I am alway worry someone is going to go mad if they think I'm shooting them. I bought a X20 for travel, but also to be discrete in those situations. Yet last night it was definitely the tripod that caught his attention.

Great picture and great story. Thanks for sharing.

Continuing to meet people and I have met such lovely people in Rwanda.

Meet John who used to have poor shelter, no access to clean water and generally lived in fear of his neighbour. Now through the work of the church in the community he has a new roof, a water tank to harvest water and through the reconciliation programme there is peace in the community.

9598452521_658e6b7944_o.jpg
Living Blessing by -Derek Hall-

9577433985_e8307a3193_o.jpg
Rejoice by -Derek Hall-

Total transformation of his life, family and village. It was a delight to meet him and hear his story.

Back