Personal gear review

I have not shot with the 90mm f2 since the last single in challenge ended. Have not even thought about using it. The 50mm f1 stays glued to my camera 90% of the time. So I put it up for sale. Again. Now I am highly reconsidering the 33mm 1.4 as wider portrait lens for when I need it. For things like full body shots and 3/4 body shots.

I have not shot with the 90mm f2 since the last single in challenge ended. Have not even thought about using it. The 50mm f1 stays glued to my camera 90% of the time. So I put it up for sale. Again. Now I am highly reconsidering the 33mm 1.4 as wider portrait lens for when I need it. For things like full body shots and 3/4 body shots.

That lens is one I can't part with, as long as I stay with Fuji. The focal length works well for me, and the IQ is wonderful. But, we all have to use what suits us best. Hope the 33 works for you.

So ... perfect day today: wet, cold, nasty weather - let's see how a lengthy walk with the G1X III in hand turns out ...

See you around later, possibly :)

M.
Okay, we can call this a win ... I carried that little warrior in the hand for two hours in constant snowfall, mixed with miserable drizzle - not a dry second. I was thoroughly soaked when I came back, not even my so-called water-resistant boots were, any more. Here's an impression of what I looked like:

IMG_2743.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yep, that's a water-repellent hardshell jacket and glove, completely wet (as were the boots and trousers - but the latter ones stayed tight).

The camera got thoroughly wet (except for where I held it; the eyecup of the EVF got filled with water a couple of times (which, let me tell you, was not without its "hilarious" side effects at times). It worked till the end; except for a discolouration of the unprotected metal parts of the hotshoe, I can't find any sign of ongoing detrimental effects on the camera.

So, after all these years, I think the Canon G1X III has finally definitely secured its place in my collection as the compact weather-resistant camera that can take the rain (and the snow) at least as well as I can. And I'm glad about this - it means I can stop worrying about it!

M.

Well, my company had better pay my bonus because I just pulled the trigger on an “excellent” Fuji 16/1.4 from Harrison’s in Sheffield and it should be here tomorrow. I will keep the 10-24 around for the extra width but I will be reverting to the 16 being my main wide lens. Already got plans for a close up shot using some of my daughter’s Lego.

Lucky I kept the Fuji metal lens hood when I sold my previous copy of this lens a few months ago. 😂

Makes perfect sense since m4/3 is not your primary system and Nikon Z is.
I've looked further into the OM System 20mm f/1.4 PRO - and I have to sort of eat my words. It's not "a bit" better than the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II, it's *way* better.

If people are interested, I can make two German tests available, done by the most trusted test lab there (many publications use their data - and I'm subscribed to their flat rate plan). The figures and tables are easy enough to interpret ... The only thing that the Panasonic seems to offer is less chromatic aberrations towards the edges - not unimportant to me, but certainly less crucial than resolution - and that's where the OM System lens shines by comparison. It's also better built and more trustworthy when it comes to sealing (it's IPX1 rated) - another strong point.

Food for thought, especially since I want to move on another lens and could more or less make it work for close to no current cost ...

M.

I took the plunge and took the Nikon Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S for a walk today - which means I walked with the lens on the Z 7 II in hand for over an hour and a half (the walk was a bit longer, but I had the camera out for "only" more than 90% of the time).

It's certainly not made for this kind of use - the combo is not light by any means, though light for such a bright zoom of this class. What can I say? It *almost* worked - in the end, I came away with a slightly sore wrist (and arm in general - I can feel it as I type now). But I wouldn't hesitate to do a similar thing again - with longer periods of the camera in the bag. In use, no issues - this isn't an unwieldy combo at all!

However, I have slight hesitations now about letting go of my Z 24-70mm f/4 S which I wanted to trade for the Z 24-120mm f/4 S as soon as possible. I may get and try the new lens in the hand first and wait for a different occasion to move on the compact zoom ... if at all. As for cost savings, the f/4 lens is too common to be worth much anyway.

M.

Last edited:
I just had summed my gear adventures of 2021 elsewhere. I thought, maybe I'll translate them to this thread also.

2021 in review

The year started with me planning my move and packing up things to move to Hyvinkää. That didn't stop me from getting my January fix of gear, two interesting M4/3 primes that came as a package of three. PanaLeica 15/1.7, Panasonic 42.5/1.7 and the third one, Panasonic 25/1.7.

Then I moved but it didn't take long when I had spotted a deal on G9 + PL12-60 kit and I headed to Tampere direction on Valentine's Day weekend. What a camera, that G9. But the camera taught me very quickly what's this hobby for me. It's not about having a perfectly automatic device, it's about a more primitive tool-in-hand feeling.

So it was quick. I decided in March-April I'd give Nikon Df a good chance to prove itself. For that it needs more lenses. I bought quite a bit of Nikkors during that spring. I also decided to have the camera serviced and fitted with a K3 focusing screen. I had much fun with the camera before the operation. Sadly the service which started in ~early May took a long time and I lost much of the momentum during that time.

In June I spotted a great deal on silver Leica M9P so I headed Tampere once again. A beautiful camera to be sure, but I didn't see the M9 CCD magic in sufficient quantities to justify the camera's spot in my stable. If anything I was ever more content with my "black sheep" of an M240.

Summer was turning to fall when I got the M9P sold. That recouped money was itching to be spent and I tried my best not to spend it on useless stuff, I did.

But I had to act. As fall started to turn into dark days of winter I decided it was good time to get the Panasonic S1 as to study if a modern mirrorless camera can be a best version of a TTL camera can be. Truth be told the camera's sheer size and weight has held me down and I haven't really even begun to start exploring the possibilities yet. I think my ideas about universal adaptable host platform were dead on arrival.

I scratched several other itches as I spotted decent deals. A silver Panasonic GX80 to accompany my black GX80, then a Panasonic G80, why not throw in a Fuji X100 while we're at it. Now all that M9 money was spent (again). As these cameras came with some lenses now I also reacquired the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 that I didn't particularly like in 2018. Now I like it a bit better. Perhaps because it's used one and cost me only half of the new one?

Just to make sure I don't fall behind any record-breaking, I spotted and acted on a killer deal on Leica gear. Now spending money I hadn't budgeted for camera gear but here we are. Black Leica MP240 to accompany my silver one, TTArtisan 50/0.95, Leica Elmarit-M 24/2.8 ASPH, and the old buddy Summilux 50mm ASPH was all acquired in a swift transaction. Yes, the Summilux 50mm ASPH rides again, in my stable. The same model that I accidentally bought in fall 2019, then tried to get rid of in 2020, then finally after some trouble had it sold in spring of 2021, now found its way back to me in December 2021. I did regret selling it somewhat. Now I have it back (not the same exact copy) at considerably lower cost of acquisition.

It has been a roller coaster of a year. I sure hope 2022 will not be as eventful. My wallet or my "treasure chest" couldn't possibly handle much more.

I just had summed my gear adventures of 2021 elsewhere. I thought, maybe I'll translate them to this thread also.

2021 in review

The year started with me planning my move and packing up things to move to Hyvinkää. That didn't stop me from getting my January fix of gear, two interesting M4/3 primes that came as a package of three. PanaLeica 15/1.7, Panasonic 42.5/1.7 and the third one, Panasonic 25/1.7.

Then I moved but it didn't take long when I had spotted a deal on G9 + PL12-60 kit and I headed to Tampere direction on Valentine's Day weekend. What a camera, that G9. But the camera taught me very quickly what's this hobby for me. It's not about having a perfectly automatic device, it's about a more primitive tool-in-hand feeling.

So it was quick. I decided in March-April I'd give Nikon Df a good chance to prove itself. For that it needs more lenses. I bought quite a bit of Nikkors during that spring. I also decided to have the camera serviced and fitted with a K3 focusing screen. I had much fun with the camera before the operation. Sadly the service which started in ~early May took a long time and I lost much of the momentum during that time.

In June I spotted a great deal on silver Leica M9P so I headed Tampere once again. A beautiful camera to be sure, but I didn't see the M9 CCD magic in sufficient quantities to justify the camera's spot in my stable. If anything I was ever more content with my "black sheep" of an M240.

Summer was turning to fall when I got the M9P sold. That recouped money was itching to be spent and I tried my best not to spend it on useless stuff, I did.

But I had to act. As fall started to turn into dark days of winter I decided it was good time to get the Panasonic S1 as to study if a modern mirrorless camera can be a best version of a TTL camera can be. Truth be told the camera's sheer size and weight has held me down and I haven't really even begun to start exploring the possibilities yet. I think my ideas about universal adaptable host platform were dead on arrival.

I scratched several other itches as I spotted decent deals. A silver Panasonic GX80 to accompany my black GX80, then a Panasonic G80, why not throw in a Fuji X100 while we're at it. Now all that M9 money was spent (again). As these cameras came with some lenses now I also reacquired the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 that I didn't particularly like in 2018. Now I like it a bit better. Perhaps because it's used one and cost me only half of the new one?

Just to make sure I don't fall behind any record-breaking, I spotted and acted on a killer deal on Leica gear. Now spending money I hadn't budgeted for camera gear but here we are. Black Leica MP240 to accompany my silver one, TTArtisan 50/0.95, Leica Elmarit-M 24/2.8 ASPH, and the old buddy Summilux 50mm ASPH was all acquired in a swift transaction. Yes, the Summilux 50mm ASPH rides again, in my stable. The same model that I accidentally bought in fall 2019, then tried to get rid of in 2020, then finally after some trouble had it sold in spring of 2021, now found its way back to me in December 2021. I did regret selling it somewhat. Now I have it back (not the same exact copy) at considerably lower cost of acquisition.

It has been a roller coaster of a year. I sure hope 2022 will not be as eventful. My wallet or my "treasure chest" couldn't possibly handle much more.
Purely anecdotal - I think your best work is with Leica. Congrats on your new acquisition.

This is the year of Leica to me. I got an inheritance and did various buying and trading and repairing and so on. I got curious and wrote up a spreadsheet. On it I listed all the purchases and cost with tax and shipping of everything related to the Leica that I bought this year. Camera, lenses, accessories, repair jobs and so on.

I have:
Voigtlander 21/4
Voigtlander 35/1.7
Voigtlander 50/1.5
Jupiter 12 35/2.8 (the good side of the sample monster with FSU lenses)
Jupiter 8 50/2 (not sure where it is, it's a lesser sample of FSU lens)
Industar 61 L/D 50/2.8
Nikon Nikkor 50/2
Nikon Nikkor 135/3.5 (coming soon)
Industar 22 50/3.5
Chiyoko Super Rokkor 50/2
Leica Elmar 90/4

This is quite a fine little collection that spans, for me, the whole range of shooting that a rangefinder is good for from very wide to moderate tele. And I keep thinking, oh there are several other lenses I should get (almost all of them are 50s - a Canon 50/1.4, a Leica Summitar, 7Artisans 1.1, etc) but then I look at the bottom line from that spreadsheet I was telling you about.

I look at that number in shock. I won't say what it is, simply that since January I've spent about 1/5 of my total rather modest income on this camera and the lenses to use on it. The only thing I spent more money on is my rent. (Don't let my GF see this sheet!!!)

My resolution for this New Year is very simple - to not buy any lenses for as long as I can hold out, preferably all year. The time is here to ONLY work with what I have, to get to know each of these lenses and how well they work (or not) for me here and now.

Perhaps a year from now I can look at that list and say - ok, perhaps I can justify a super speed 50 because of shots I missed in darkness or perhaps find that 21mm isn't too wide after all. But it's clear I need to spend the time just finding out and only buying anything if I have too - perhaps I need a second battery for the 240 and while they aren't cheap, it's not like getting nearly a dozen lenses either. I enjoy window shopping and will likely continue that. But I'm going to remind myself of this every time I think of possibly buying a lens and think hard about Need vs. Want.

from my family portrait post

So that's my gear review for 2021. I look forward to seeing what I think a year from now.

Perhaps a year from now I can look at that list and say - ok, perhaps I can justify a super speed 50 because of shots I missed in darkness or perhaps find that 21mm isn't too wide after all. But it's clear I need to spend the time just finding out and only buying anything if I have too - perhaps I need a second battery for the 240
A fresh battery for one's weary camera is a blessing. And it doesn't count as gear purchase!

After acquiring the Nikon Z 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 DX today, I'm seriously considering having the Panasonic FZ1000 I've used as my casual travel camera join the Z 24-70mm f/4 S when I do the trade-in for the Z 24-120mm f/4 S (which will happen as soon as possible). The Z 50 is the much more desirable camera to have with me than the FZ1000, and it's way more comfortable in the hand and handles a lot better. Yes, I'd lose reach - but if I really need it, the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E covers 105-450mm-e on the Z 50 with FTZ adapter with much more grace and quality than the FZ1000 ever could. And what's more, the new combo even has some degree of weather-resistance - not as much as a Z FX combo would offer, but still better than the woefully unprotected FZ1000 - while being smaller and (a little) lighter. I guess I won't use the FZ1000 a lot anymore (I haven't used it a lot anyway lately).

N.B. I've stopped watching an ongoing auction for a GR IIIx - it's a fine camera, but right now, the zoom was what I was missing.

M.

Last edited:
For a long time, my desktop rig has served me well. I have an old GeForce 750ti for graphics, and a Samsung curved 24" IPS LCD with 99% sRGB, which has proven "accurate enough" for some time. However, I just started having a weird problem, where colors that are initially pulled up when I open an image file in explorer change a bit, and are shifted towards purple and decreasing reds, among other irregularities. Web browser now looks that way too - for example, the "really blue" setting here now looks "really indigo-to-violet."

I switched the HDMI to another, small monitor I had and it looks the same, so it's not the panel. Next up I'll find another HDMI cable and see how that looks. It's frustrating.

Back