Personal gear review

the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 and 14mm f/2.8) were the fourth and fifth lenses produced for the system. Do you figure that this is because many folks have used these since there weren't other options initially?
There weren't many other options, so that's probably right. The main plus of the 18-55 as I recall, was that it was much much better than a lens packaged with a camera (as it was at the time) had any right to be.
is there something special about the old Fuji X lenses that the new lenses are missing?
I haven't come across anyone who owns the 18mm who doesn't think of it fondly and images I've seen posted from it seem to me to have a certain something. My own experience is of using the newer F2 and older F1.4 versions of Fuji's 23mm/35mm lenses. The newer F2 versions seemed to me to be more modern in their rendering and were certainly faster in operation with AF. Aside from that, the older F1.4 lenses to my eye, whilst they had slower AF, comprehensively blew the F2 lenses away optically and with a signature rendering (like the 60mm) that the more modern versions just didn't have. It's hard to explain; it's not that the F2 lenses weren't good, they clearly were, but in comparison to the earlier versions, they didn't have that something and I'm not just referring to the wider aperture. For me, the only practical reason to get the F2 versions was for AF speed which for me wasn't a priority (I was a prime guy). As always, this is subjective and I have been out of the Fuji system for a while, so in terms of the recently released lenses like the 33mm F1.4/ 50mm F1, @Bobby Tingle is best versed to address any comparisons between first and new generation lenses.

There weren't many other options, so that's probably right. The main plus of the 18-55 as I recall, was that it was much much better than a lens packaged with a camera (as it was at the time) had any right to be.

I haven't come across anyone who owns the 18mm who doesn't think of it fondly and images I've seen posted from it seem to me to have a certain something. My own experience is of using the newer F2 and older F1.4 versions of Fuji's 23mm/35mm lenses. The newer F2 versions seemed to me to be more modern in their rendering and were certainly faster in operation with AF. Aside from that, the older F1.4 lenses to my eye, whilst they had slower AF, comprehensively blew the F2 lenses away optically and with a signature rendering (like the 60mm) that the more modern versions just didn't have. It's hard to explain; it's not that the F2 lenses weren't good, they clearly were, but in comparison to the earlier versions, they didn't have that something and I'm not just referring to the wider aperture. For me, the only practical reason to get the F2 versions was for AF speed which for me wasn't a priority (I was a prime guy). As always, this is subjective and I have been out of the Fuji system for a while, so in terms of the recently released lenses like the 33mm F1.4/ 50mm F1, @Bobby Tingle is best versed to address any comparisons between first and new generation lenses.
Ray makes a pretty spot on assessment. My opinion on the newest primes is that Fuji was making a big effort to get the character of the original lenses like the 35 1.4, 18 f2 etc. Combined with the performance of the f2 primes. Which have lightening fast AF, weather sealing, and are super sharp. What Fuji got were lenses with equal or better technical aspects of the F2 primes. And with really good character. But not quite the same character as the original primes. In the case of the 50 f1, it is the first time I was able to get images like I got out of my Canon 1D3/Sigma 85 1.4 kit. Which was huge for me. For the most part, I picked up the 18 1.4 and 33 1.4 for the times when the 50 f1 didn't give me the width I needed for the shot. But discovered that those lenses really work well for me and use them for more than just extra width.

Ray makes a pretty spot on assessment. My opinion on the newest primes is that Fuji was making a big effort to get the character of the original lenses like the 35 1.4, 18 f2 etc. Combined with the performance of the f2 primes. Which have lightening fast AF, weather sealing, and are super sharp. What Fuji got were lenses with equal or better technical aspects of the F2 primes. And with really good character. But not quite the same character as the original primes. In the case of the 50 f1, it is the first time I was able to get images like I got out of my Canon 1D3/Sigma 85 1.4 kit. Which was huge for me. For the most part, I picked up the 18 1.4 and 33 1.4 for the times when the 50 f1 didn't give me the width I needed for the shot. But discovered that those lenses really work well for me and use them for more than just extra width.
Agreed. While I have all of the f/2.0 Fujicrons and a number of newer zooms, I hang onto the original 14mm f/2.8, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 60mm f/2.4 and 90mm f/2.0. Focusing on some of them is a bit on the slow side but they have character in spades.

Another Fuji noob here. Any thoughts on UWA, like the 16mm 2.8, for landscape? I like going even wider than that if I can, but it seems like it’s either the 10-24, or manual focus third party, unless I’m missing something.

How aboot the Samyang AF 12/2? It's not even stupid expensive, and from what I've seen it seems quite competent.
I think I saw it and the Rokinon, but both are manual focus. My problem is my peepers these days depend a bit more on AF.
There is an 8-16/2.8 Fuji too, but it is pretty expensive. The 10-24 is okay, but for me the 16/1.4 is outstanding
Yeah, the 8-16 isn’t on my list. Adds too much weight to the front while removing too much from my wallet in back. I’d fall forward.

Another Fuji noob here. Any thoughts on UWA, like the 16mm 2.8, for landscape? I like going even wider than that if I can, but it seems like it’s either the 10-24, or manual focus third party, unless I’m missing something.
I did 95% percent of mine with the 16mm 1.4. Which gave excellent results. I've done some with the 16mm 2.8, which is quite capable of delivering great images. Going to give it a go with the 18mm 1.4 this year.

I'm planning a bit of a turnaround in my m43 gear. As I've just bought an LX7 to use as my EDC on dog walks, I don't need both an E-M1 and a GX80. So I'm strongly considering selling both and getting a GX8, which I've craved for a long time. I toyed with quitting m43 and trying another system, but I can't be faffed working out which one to go for!!

I was mulling over some gear choices over the last couple of weeks - with somewhat unexpected results. Don't hesitate to skip over my random thoughts - this is just as much about taking stock of my own findings as for providing information to others. I'd better break all that stuff down in a few posts (two at least), too ...

First off, my struggle with what the market is offering in terms of truely compact cameras has led me full circle. TLDR: For now, the Canon G1X III stays.

To reiterate: As much as I've always wanted to love the Canon G1X III, I've often found myself at odds with key aspects of it - mostly, they boil down to general sluggishness (especially on power on as well as when zooming) and incongruent decisions on Canon's part; to list some of the latter ones:
  • Non-sensical Auto ISO behaviour with a lack of adjustability (thus rendering a camera that is meant to be straightforward to use decidedly fiddly - precisely when it shouldn't be, like for candids of people indoors). Yes, you can choose from different "profiles" (normal, fast, slow), but only "normal" is predictable enough to be usable in a majority of situations.
  • Lack of step-zoom functionality for the zoom rocker (why withhold it if you can assign it to the lens ring - I'd appreciate it the other way round!), fixed zoom ring operation on the lens ring (just let me switch it to the sensible way - it's counter-intuitive now!)
  • Nice, but somewhat hampered customisability: If you customise certain aspects, like zoom position, switch on time will suffer *again*!
  • Some technical limitations - the sensor performs well enough in good light, but falls short of expectations above ISO 1600; together with the slowish lens that's also not the sharpest to begin with, you're often looking at sub-par files. Both the Ricoh GR III and the Nikon Z APS-C bodies show what's possible - the Z 50 with its rather paltry kit zoom smokes the G1X III in terms of results, especially above ISO 800, and I can easily go to ISO 3200 on those cameras without issues. All those sensors were announced within the same year (2016/2017). For the record, yes, of course you can salvage most files from RAW - but that needs lots of time and the kind of tedious work I'm absolutely not into, especially if it's obviously possible to avoid this by using appropriate technology. Canon should have been able to pull that off in 2017 - heck, in some respects, Olympus' 20MP :mu43: sensor from 2016 performs better in low light!
In short, there are quite a few reasons to be less than happy. On the other side, it's a fact that I've captured quite a few nice images with this camera - so it's definitely more a case of a lack of perfection or desirable features than one of complete uselessness. Nevertheless, I was what I called "disenchanted" enough to pit it against another camera, one I have learned to appreciate for what it is (instead of grumbling about what it isn't - we'll have to come back to that), the Nikon 1 V1. With the 10-30mm PD zoom attached, it's quite a close match to the G1X III in terms of size and basic features (minus the sealing - I'll get to that). The Nikon is a minimalist camera with several very idiosyncratic choices when it comes to handling - but once you know how to use it and what issues may arise, it's a pleasant surprise in terms of usage as well as results, even with the optically mediocre zoom attached - specifically because Nikon got the operation aspects of the latter exactly right: After a tiny bit of hesitation, it deploys quickly and positively, and zooming is very, very fast if you rack the zoom ring (it's slow and sufficiently precise if you move it slowly). Results are actually above expectations though of course, if you were to start pixel peeping, the V1 wouldn't be able to keep up with the G1X III - but I knew that going in. Whatever - fact is, I do enjoy using the V1 and don't manage to feel equally pleased with the G1X III. So, I reckoned that in spite of the huge differences, it might be an interesting contest to say the least - with the possible outcome of me moving on the G1X III and use the V1 instead (at least until the market offered something worth considering).

However, it turned out to be a non-contest in the more than one way: Basically, if you know what you're doing and avoid the situations it's bound to struggle with, you can get much, much better results from the Canon. So much better in fact that putting up with its limitations appears to be worth it most of the time. And what's more, the V1, fun though it may be, isn't the more straightforward camera in use - neither is its operation significantly faster (it's actually more complicated in some aspects - like exposure compensation), nor does its apparent simplicty trump the much greater versatility the G1X III offers. And finally, on the last day of the contest, it started raining on and off - so I ended up worrying about the V1, whereas I wouldn't have had to with G1X III which I had left at home for the first time - after all, I wanted to find out if the V1 could "stand in"; well, it can't.

What about other options I actually own? As much as I prefer the Nikon Z 50's or Z fc's results, especially in low light, they're certainly not pocketable and not as well sealed (the Z 16-50mm DX kit zoom isn't protected at all), and while the GR III is much more pocketable, it's way less sturdy and not sealed at all. The V1, while fun to shoot with, can't keep up - in truth, it doesn't even come close, and on top of that, it's not sealed, either. Lastly, while the Olympus E-M5 III ticks all the boxes in terms of weather resistance, together with the 12-45mm, it's way bigger than even the Z 50 with its kit zoom.

To cap it off, the elephant in the room was the existence of the Fujifilm X100V with its modicum of sealing - but truth be told, having to piece together some fiddly kit to achieve what is built into the G1X III seems too much like Fujifilm dropping the ball on purpose, possibly to make you spend more money. I'll not buy into that (pun intended). Even though I might even enjoy shooting with that camera, it certainly doesn't truely address the issues I'm seeing, while adding some of its own. So, it's out (for now - may time and opportunity will change my take on this; at the moment, I actually doubt that).

What I discovered at long last (and maybe not even for the first time) is that it all depends on what you expect from a camera. While the Canon G1X III is *not* a do-all, end-all solution, specifically not for travel due to its lack of low-light prowess, it certainly is a surprisingly rugged outdoor camera - maybe not ideal for extreme conditions, but well suited for trekking, cycling and walkabouts in marginal weather. During the day, none of its limitations show up in any major way once you accept some of its idiosyncrasies and work with or around them. Use it for what it's good for, and you won't be seriously dissappointed. That's what I'm going to do.

M.

Not really personal gear review. Yet.

Waiting for Fuji to do their X-H2 announcement now seems like the other shoe has dropped and I'm waiting for it to hit the floor. In extreme slow-motion.

Like those nightmares where no matter how hard you try, you just can't run fast enough. And you're running from the man from Mars. And the man from Mars has a gun. And he shoots you dead. And eats your head. And then you're in the man from Mars. And you go out at night eating cars...

Or some other video-induced nightmare.

Ack.

I bet they'll release a cam that's just that.

LOL. Yeah, I'm not confident the X-H2 will work for me.

I hope I'm wrong and it's the best thing since sliced bread and will work great for me.

Just over a month and we might know more about one of the two models.

A month? I thought they'd have an event by May.

If it doesn't get postponed, it's supposed to happen on 31 May.

Supposedly only the X-H2S is going to be announced, the other X-H2 will be announced later. Not sure what other products might be announced at the May Summit.

Not really personal gear review. Yet.

Waiting for Fuji to do their X-H2 announcement now seems like the other shoe has dropped and I'm waiting for it to hit the floor. In extreme slow-motion.

Like those nightmares where no matter how hard you try, you just can't run fast enough. And you're running from the man from Mars. And the man from Mars has a gun. And he shoots you dead. And eats your head. And then you're in the man from Mars. And you go out at night eating cars...

Or some other video-induced nightmare.

Ack.

I think I saw the sequel to that movie. Except it wasn't a Man from Mars - but a Photographer from Hell, with an 8x10 view camera that had saber-tooth Tiger teeth instead of a shutter. And his victims - the people who lost their heads when they sat for portrait photo sessions - became re-animated Zombies afterwards, and were part of his army of mobile modified pickup-trucks which had been converted into Rolling Instant Selfie Photo studios, so that the photography plague continued spreading...

Back