Personal gear review

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
The LX100 is another camera I rented over the past few years. My memory is fuzzy here, but it seems I decided not to buy one because of the power zoom, lack of tilt screen, and intense purple flare in backlit conditions. I also remember the buzz around the LX100II as the announcement approached, and the intense disappointment expressed by many people that it didn't have a flip screen or WR. I wonder if any of those people are looking at the X100V? If you look at the latest generations of those cameras, the X100 is a bit larger and heavier, but not unreasonably so. I would think the two cameras would appeal to a similar demographic.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
I had an X10. I remember how much I liked the function and build of it. Again, the pursuit of IQ drew me away, but the X10/20/30 and the X100 series have always been such good examples of Fuji making high quality cameras. One reason I have a pre-order for the new X100V is because it is a Fuji.

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
The LX100 is another camera I rented over the past few years. My memory is fuzzy here, but it seems I decided not to buy one because of the power zoom, lack of tilt screen, and intense purple flare in backlit conditions. I also remember the buzz around the LX100II as the announcement approached, and the intense disappointment expressed by many people that it didn't have a flip screen or WR. I wonder if any of those people are looking at the X100V? If you look at the latest generations of those cameras, the X100 is a bit larger and heavier, but not unreasonably so. I would think the two cameras would appeal to a similar demographic.
Yes they both do appeal to me at least. One of my biggest issues with power zooms is startup / shutdown. I tend to be good with turning it on and off when not actively shooting to keep the lens retracted for safety and save power. The X70 was really quick on / off.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I've been away from MFT for a while, since I sold my GX9 and lenses. Years ago I rented a Pen F when it first came out, and it was great paired with the 17mm 1.8, but I just felt the camera was more than I wanted to pay.

Fast forward to this week, and I came across a mint Pen F with only 400 shutter snaps, and it was less than 1/2 its original cost. I grabbed it, along with another 17/1.8. I still have a film Pen F 38/1.8 lens and MFT adapter. That lens rendered really nicely on the GX9 and the Pen F I rented.

For some reason, I keep finding myself drawn back to MFT. Looking through my archives, I find a lot of nice images from the various MFT cameras I have owned. Several of you do great work with your Pen F, and I expect I will like it quite a lot.

wee-pics

Veteran
Sep 13, 2016
Germany
Walter
Since I have the Lumix LX100.2 with the superb Leica lens I've realized that the EM-5 often stays in the bag. Only when I need any of the primes with more focal length or the macro lens I'm carrying the full gear.

As to getting gear reduced I have a simple rule for myself: any clothes in my wardrobe that have not been on my body during the last three years are thrown out. With stretching this a little to five years it might be useful for photographic gear as well.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Since I have the Lumix LX100.2 with the superb Leica lens I've realized that the EM-5 often stays in the bag. Only when I need any of the primes with more focal length or the macro lens I'm carrying the full gear.

As to getting gear reduced I have a simple rule for myself: any clothes in my wardrobe that have not been on my body during the last three years are thrown out. With stretching this a little to five years it might be useful for photographic gear as well.
I've done a complete turnover in my photo gear in recent months. I sold or gave away everything I had been using except for a single Pen F lens. My kit now consists of an X30, Pen F + a single native lens, and a single film Pen F lens. That gives me a lot of versatility, and even if I stuffed it all in a bag, the weight would be negligible. I have a tiny bar bag for my bicycle, and I'm looking forward to going out on some long bike rides away from civilization and bringing back some nice images.

Latest threads

Top Bottom