Personal gear review

I'm really starting to realize that there is a bit of a (expensive) disconnect between the cameras I like to buy and the cameras I like to use. I really like smaller cameras and will grab those on the fly. I also need to only buy fixed lens cameras with zooms. Fixed lens tends to be 28 or 35 mme, and those just aren't my favorite focal lengths. OTOH, I could have an ILC with 50 mme and never change the lens. Sigh. I also tend to avoid cameras I probably would like, e.g., the SONY A7C with its really nice tracking AF-C. Sigh redux.

Last edited:
+1. After using m43 & m lenses, I like the smaller combos... Sony finally figured out with A7C and smaller 40-50mm 2.5 with aperture on the lenses. They are not hot sellers like 50mm 1.2... You can try greentoe to get deals on them. Also I like what Sigma also did with the smaller dn lenses which Sony copied....

Sony_FE24mm_F2p8_G_40mm_50mm_a7C.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm really starting to realize that there is a bit of a (expensive) disconnect between the cameras I like to buy and the cameras I like to use. I really like smaller cameras and will grab those on the fly. I also need to only buy fixed lens cameras with zooms. Fixed lens tends to be 28 or 35 mme, and those just aren't my favorite focal lenses. OTOH, I can have a an ILC with 50 mme and never change the lens. Sigh. I also tend to avoid cameras I probably would like, e.g., the SONY A7C with its really nice tracking AF-C. Sigh redux.

I put my Sigma 17-50/2.8 up on eBay the other day, and it just sold. It was a truly bargain lens, and had that going for it along with very decent IQ. But it's just so heavy, for a light camera person like me, I found myself very unlikely to use it. Now that I have a M4/3 body again, along with the 12-32mm lens that I can always steal from my wife's camera, I don't technically need a zoom like that. Actually, the biggest reason that led into my decision was that I found my copy of the Sigma to produce a lot of purple fringing, which it was a bit hard to reliably remove.

I think I'm back to my original surmise, that the Pentax KP is best with small primes.

I set the Pentax stuff aside for a while. I've picked it up a couple of times over the last month. Each time I've picked it up, it felt great in the hand. Then I put the cameras to my face and became frustrated again. Mainly the K-3III OVF. So dang close, but not right for my eye.

If this happens again, I'll make the call. I'm supposed to be reducing stress and frustration, and the gear isn't helping with that anymore. The Fuji ILC stuff isn't really fun to shoot, but it's not frustrating me like the Pentax stuff. The X100F is closest to being transparent, I find myself fiddling with it much less than the X-H1. Other than adjusting basic shooting settings, most I have to worry about is which metering mode I want to use. Not sure if I'll keep the K-1 for landscapes, or even if I'll stay with Fuji.

Changing things up could be in play. How, or when, I'm not sure. Not really looking forward to the expense of a change, but if it can dump more frustration and bring back some of the enjoyment... I think I've previously mentioned the possibility of dumping everything except the X100F and taking some time to think before making a move.

I set the Pentax stuff aside for a while. I've picked it up a couple of times over the last month. Each time I've picked it up, it felt great in the hand. Then I put the cameras to my face and became frustrated again. Mainly the K-3III OVF. So dang close, but not right for my eye.

If this happens again, I'll make the call. I'm supposed to be reducing stress and frustration, and the gear isn't helping with that anymore. The Fuji ILC stuff isn't really fun to shoot, but it's not frustrating me like the Pentax stuff. The X100F is closest to being transparent, I find myself fiddling with it much less than the X-H1. Other than adjusting basic shooting settings, most I have to worry about is which metering mode I want to use. Not sure if I'll keep the K-1 for landscapes, or even if I'll stay with Fuji.

Changing things up could be in play. How, or when, I'm not sure. Not really looking forward to the expense of a change, but if it can dump more frustration and bring back some of the enjoyment... I think I've previously mentioned the possibility of dumping everything except the X100F and taking some time to think before making a move.
Gordon, perhaps an Olympus E-M1 MkIII plus f/4 8-25, f/4 12-100 and one or two f/1.8 primes would suit you? Depends on what, and how, you shoot, really.

The 12-100 is the best lens I've owned in over 60 years, and I've owned some crackers (e.g. Leitz Summicrons x3, plus a lot of loaners).

Gordon, perhaps an Olympus E-M1 MkIII plus f/4 8-25, f/4 12-100 and one or two f/1.8 primes would suit you? Depends on what, and how, you shoot, really.

The 12-100 is the best lens I've owned in over 60 years, and I've owned some crackers (e.g. Leitz Summicrons x3, plus a lot of loaners).

Thanks for the thoughts John. The other part of the equation is things have to fit my odd hands and issues with arthritis. My X-H1 is the smallest DSLR style that I've been able to use, and still some of the controls are difficult for me to use. I've handled Oly and Sony etc... Nikon Z full frame works better for my hands/ fingers than the X-H1. Still have the issue with viewfinders. Rangefinder-style cameras are the only ones that fit into my eye socket area well enough I can see the whole image, unless I want to shoot everything in portrait mode.

The X100F works (mostly) simply because of the placement of the controls, and I have added the RRS base plate/ grip/ L-bracket combo. I still have issues with a lot of unintentional activation of the Q menu due to button location vs my arthritic thumb. It was so bad on the X-H1 I had to completely disable the Q button.

It's frustrating. So many cameras, very few work for my hands/ fingers and my eyes.

LOL, the continuing saga continues.

Main reason I've been keeping longer tele primes and tele zooms was to get bird photos from the apartment. Nice tree right off the balcony, able to get nice tight shots on mid-size birds, minor cropping for the small ones. Convenient. Apartment acted as a blind. Easy use with tripod and monopod, no lugging heavy gear.

A couple months ago a leak developed in the water line to this part of the apartments. When maintenance dug to find the leak, I noticed they were having to cut roots out of the way. Some were substantial in size. I kind of figured at that point there was a chance the tree would be brought down.

There have been several outfits brought in to evaluate and bid. And yesterday maintenance started taking down the tree. They finished removal today, and the ground and sidewalks have spray-painted markings. I'm sure a plumbing crew will be in here soon with equipment to dig up the area and replace the bad water line.

No more bird shots other than maybe hummingbirds, Verdin and woodpeckers. Except the woodpeckers have claimed the hummer feeder and mostly driven the hummers away, rarely see hummers at the feeder any more. Health isn't good enough to go roaming with heavy gear. Not sure when, or if, that will change.

So, seems as good a time as any for a change, take a different fork in the road, and see where it leads.

I'll be downsizing the amount of gear I have. Take a year or two, see if my health improves, where I land if I end up having to move, and what happens with the photo industry over that time. Initial thoughts are to keep X100F, X-H1, 90/2, and pick up the upcoming 56mkII - back to a 35/85/135 trio. See how that works and adjust from there. Or maybe do the YOLO - finish selling other hobby gear, household stuff, and one vehicle in exchange for a Q2M.

Feels good to have the beginnings of a plan.

As I walked in the hot sun today with the M9 -- strapless, I might add (how very risque of me) -- I found myself surrounded in thoughts:

If someone offered me a paid gig or even simply asked for portraits, what would I grab for the session? I didn't have to rank my existing gear for very long. The first choice was rather obvious for me.

1. Panasonic GX80
  2. Nikon Df with AF lenses
  3. Leica M
  4. Nikon Df with MF lenses

If someone who knew me better and perhaps shared my taste, for those kinds of cases I could easily elevate Leica and Nikon (MF) to top positions.

As I walked in the hot sun today with the M9 -- strapless, I might add (how very risque of me) -- I found myself surrounded in thoughts:

If someone offered me a paid gig or even simply asked for portraits, what would I grab for the session? I didn't have to rank my existing gear for very long. The first choice was rather obvious for me.

1. Panasonic GX80
  2. Nikon Df with AF lenses
  3. Leica M
  4. Nikon Df with MF lenses

If someone who knew me better and perhaps shared my taste, for those kinds of cases I could easily elevate Leica and Nikon (MF) to top positions.
Yes, but isn't that a question of what gear functions the best to help you, the photographer, complete a task given to you? That doesn't necessarily have the same answers as "what speaks to you the most when you're using it."

Yes, but isn't that a question of what gear functions the best to help you, the photographer, complete a task given to you? That doesn't necessarily have the same answers as "what speaks to you the most when you're using it."
Yes, indeed.

It is a question about an elusive situation I am not likely to find myself in, any time soon.

What struck me as interesting is how easily I found GX80 climbing to the pole position, even for portrait work. Panasonic G9 really hammered in how in a way reliable their cameras are, really dependable for a lot of things. Of course, GX80 shares some of that DNA.

After using an E-P5 for a few months, and sharing a couple of primes between it and the E-M1, I have realised that my heart lies with compact cameras and zoom lenses! So with that in mind, I have sold the E-P5 and my primes, and bought an RX100 Mk 4.
(It just arrived today and I can see straight away that it operates faster than the Mk 3 I had a while back, plus the EVF is nice and sharp). My Panasonic 12-60 is being replaced by an Olympus 14-150. I love the E-M1 so will be keeping that with the 14-150.

After using an E-P5 for a few months, and sharing a couple of primes between it and the E-M1, I have realised that my heart lies with compact cameras and zoom lenses! So with that in mind, I have sold the E-P5 and my primes, and bought an RX100 Mk 4.
(It just arrived today and I can see straight away that it operates faster than the Mk 3 I had a while back, plus the EVF is nice and sharp). My Panasonic 12-60 is being replaced by an Olympus 14-150. I love the E-M1 so will be keeping that with the 14-150.
I’m always tempted by the VI and VII. They have such a good zoom range.

A few years ago I sampled Fuji and slowly built up that kit and sold my Nikon DX DSLR and lenses. I have enjoyed the size and weight reduction. I now find myself more likely to just take an iPhone along when I want to travel lightly. So, I’m considering selling the Fuji kit and going back to a DSLR for birds, wildlife, landscape. I do miss viewing through glass and the better ergonomics on the Nikon. Has anyone else gone through this process?

A few years ago I sampled Fuji and slowly built up that kit and sold my Nikon DX DSLR and lenses. I have enjoyed the size and weight reduction. I now find myself more likely to just take an iPhone along when I want to travel lightly. So, I’m considering selling the Fuji kit and going back to a DSLR for birds, wildlife, landscape. I do miss viewing through glass and the better ergonomics on the Nikon. Has anyone else gone through this process?
A number of serious bird photographers have been using Sony's RX10 Mark IV - which has a remarkable Zeiss zoom lens that gives the equivalent of 600mm. The RX10M4 is about the size of a traditional DSLR - but the quality of the lens, coupled with Sony's great 1 inch sensor - has yielded some impressive results among the aficionados.

Probably a DSLR with certain lenses will still give you better quality, when all is said and done. And there are a number of superb wildlife and avian photographers who seem to have embraced the newer Olympus E-M1 bodies - including the large-isn E-M1x which a number of bird people swear by. And, even though it's not exactly mainstream, Pentax's newest APS-C flagship the K-3iii - which has much better (and higher-speed) AF capabilities, not to mention a fine viewfinder and thoughtful ergonomics - has become the camera of choice of a small number of truly fine bird and wildlife-nature photographers.

I think you're totally right to mention ergonomics, something which often is left out of conversations. A camera should truly feel good - and right - and usable (for whatever uses one intends) in your hands... without that, one is in for problems.
Whatever you choose and decide - good luck with it!!!!

It seems I'm about to shift gear again (see what I did there?). If the trade I have in the works goes through, I'll be going back to the X-T2 I had before the E-M1 II, except this time it's black & silver. (I had a shot at a graphite X-T2 and blew it). The only lens I have presently that will work with the X-T2 is my old Pen F 38/1.8, a trusty workhorse that has resided on the front of numerous cameras. I do intend to get a single Fuji lens, but this time I'm staying away from zooms. Looking through my photo history, I think I could best describe my photo style as "environmental documentation". My attempts at wildlife and birds have been average, at best, and I've never enjoyed carrying longer lenses while bike riding, at least not for long. Thus the Fuji 55-200, 50-230, and similar lenses for other platforms didn't stay with me for long. The E-M1 II and the pair of Panasonic zooms are going. I like the X30, so I intend to keep it for those times I want to walk with a small, discrete camera. My kit is going to be about as minimalistic as I can get without going to a single camera.

I've been in a bad slump for the last several weeks. To the point I've barely picked up a camera. After putting a lot of thought into it, and bouncing thoughts to my dad for feedback. I am coming to the conclusion that I am bored with my kit. Also, I am realizing how much I have grown to love shooting with a 35mm(50mm FF). Which I currently don't have. Making things worse for me, while the 18mm 1.4 is an incredible lens. That I was hoping for a new challenge in using. Has turned out for me to be a miss. I have made some decent images with it. But I'm not finding excitement and/or joy shooting with it. So, I will probably doing yet another gear shuffle of some sort. This time taking out of consideration anything I may shoot, like bands performing. I chose the 56mm 1.2 I currently have for that very reason and have yet to even see one band live since buying it. I'm even getting to a point where shuffling and switching gear is no longer enjoyable. I briefly considered selling everything and taking a long break from photography. But my wife and dad both strongly advised I not do that. Figuring that within a week or two I'd be scrambling to get a camera.

I've been in a bad slump for the last several weeks. To the point I've barely picked up a camera. After putting a lot of thought into it, and bouncing thoughts to my dad for feedback. I am coming to the conclusion that I am bored with my kit. Also, I am realizing how much I have grown to love shooting with a 35mm(50mm FF). Which I currently don't have. Making things worse for me, while the 18mm 1.4 is an incredible lens. That I was hoping for a new challenge in using. Has turned out for me to be a miss. I have made some decent images with it. But I'm not finding excitement and/or joy shooting with it. So, I will probably doing yet another gear shuffle of some sort. This time taking out of consideration anything I may shoot, like bands performing. I chose the 56mm 1.2 I currently have for that very reason and have yet to even see one band live since buying it. I'm even getting to a point where shuffling and switching gear is no longer enjoyable. I briefly considered selling everything and taking a long break from photography. But my wife and dad both strongly advised I not do that. Figuring that within a week or two I'd be scrambling to get a camera.
I agree with your father and wife ...

Freeman Patterson specifically addresses photographer's block in "Photography and the Art of Seeing". I have both third and fourth editions (different publishers, same text, different photographs), and prefer the third edition. However, someone I know prefers the fourth edition, so there! Either will help with practical advice and exercises to help you overcome it. New gear is unlikely to ...

Perhaps you might even need to consider a different hobby.

BTW, not using your cameras for a couple of weeks is not indicative of a bad slump.
ADHD maybe ... :rofl: .

All the best with it.

New gear is unlikely to ...
In this case two things apply. My current kit is geared for working shoots like bands performing and not just personal shooting. And I was trying a new focal length, which turned out not click with me. The kit I have is not as fun nor challenging for my personal shooting.

Perhaps you might even need to consider a different hobby.
I do have some other hobbies I have been putting more time into lately. And it does help.

All the best with it.
Thank you!

I haven't picked up a camera in a few months. It's a combination of work, handling my late brother in law's estate, dealing with my wife's health and a nice, inconvenient sinus infection. I doubt anything is going to change until perhaps the holidays this year - if I'm lucky.

Sorry to read about this, my condolences and wishes for improvements for you and your wife sooner rather than later.

Back