Personal gear review

Well, I'm sending my GR III off for warranty work today. Like the first one I owned, the rear dial is getting very unpredictable, jumping around rather than scrolling and sometimes not responding. I'm definitely seeing more complaints about this on other forums now, and for me this is 2 out of 2. In my opinion it's a bigger concern than dust on the sensor with the GR III, which is much less bad than it was on the GR II. But the unpredictable dial behavior can be more than just annoying - if you're in manual mode, the rear dial is one of the main exposure inputs. As I've noted in the past when dealing with the first one, it temporarily rights itself if I spin it vigorously several revolutions, but you need to do that every time you turn on or wake up the camera. This is the main reason I got an extended warranty on this one... I bought it last October so it wasn't even a year, it started malfunctioning probably July or August and pretty quickly started being every time I use it.

Looks like the GR IIIx uses the same part, so I doubt the new model will be exempt from this issue. Fortunately I am pretty sure Precision Camera can just swap out the rear dial assembly on my GR III and the cycle should start all over again...

Well, I'm sending my GR III off for warranty work today. Like the first one I owned, the rear dial is getting very unpredictable, jumping around rather than scrolling and sometimes not responding. I'm definitely seeing more complaints about this on other forums now, and for me this is 2 out of 2. In my opinion it's a bigger concern than dust on the sensor with the GR III, which is much less bad than it was on the GR II. But the unpredictable dial behavior can be more than just annoying - if you're in manual mode, the rear dial is one of the main exposure inputs. As I've noted in the past when dealing with the first one, it temporarily rights itself if I spin it vigorously several revolutions, but you need to do that every time you turn on or wake up the camera. This is the main reason I got an extended warranty on this one... I bought it last October so it wasn't even a year, it started malfunctioning probably July or August and pretty quickly started being every time I use it.

Looks like the GR IIIx uses the same part, so I doubt the new model will be exempt from this issue. Fortunately I am pretty sure Precision Camera can just swap out the rear dial assembly on my GR III and the cycle should start all over again...
As I said elsewhere on the forum, based on these design issues with the GRIII, I'd really reccommend that the the new model is held in the hand and checked over before taking home.

My most recent review of my work kind of backfired. In that I decided to add back in a 90mm because of how I have used the 90 in the past. What did not occur to me is that I am not really shooting in that focal range much at all these days. 50mm is about the limit in that regard. Or I am shooting much longer focal lengths borrowing the 70-300 from my dad or the 50-230 from my offspring. Fortunately I'm a hoe bag and easily sold off the 90 back into the wilds of fred miranda. I'm going to shoot the 16/35 pair and see if anything creates a hole in my lens lineup.

As I said elsewhere on the forum, based on these design issues with the GRIII, I'd really reccommend that the the new model is held in the hand and checked over before taking home.
I've just sort of made my peace with the idea that this is a camera that will be in the shop sometimes. Kind of like owning an old Fiat 124 or something. Still worth it to me.

I will just make a summary of my personal gear reviews (PGR, hehe). I will do it for the ones I have owned for quite a while already.

Panasonic Lumix GM5 (DMC-GM5)
  • I like the magnesium construction, the fact that it has an EVF at 211g.
  • The controls and menu are similar to bigger-bodied Lumix cameras.
  • Panasonic's menu is just so easy to use. After browsing the menu in 2015, I was already familiar with the layout and where to find specific functions.
  • *If they interchanged the PLAY and the WiFi buttons, which is also an Fn1 button, which I assigned for AF/AE Lock, the camera would be much more ergonomical. I don't mind reaching the Fn1 button as the camera is small and it rests mostly on my left hand, anyway, for stabilisation.
  • It does not have IBIS because of its size but lens OIS is good enough for nighttime shooting.
  • Stabilisation without OIS at night can be challenging because the camera is too light and it just feels like there's nothing on the left hand, at all.
  • Since the MFT mount bezel sits flush with the body, I can get quirked by my larger lenses protruding beneath. The same dilemma is witnessed with other GM1/GM5 owners. It's an unnecessary issue, though.
  • Autofocus is snappy. I don't use AF-C but touch AF/AE lock when birding. I use manual focus always for my videography.
  • 1080p video is crisp as it does not have phase detect artifacts. Unlimited and continuous recording with AVCHD can be done in cold weather, as the smaller sensor, even in the tiny body, does not heat up that much.
  • Handling of larger lenses can be challenging in the long run. To be fair, I only have a problem with adapted small format lenses but not really with MFT ones because they are balanced from the mount to the front element. Adapted lenses can be quite heavy and imbalanced because the most of the weight is shifted in front after the offset made by the adapter.
  • The AA-filter in front of the sensor can be quite sensitive to extreme temperature fluctuations. I bring mine when I am hiking and one time I noticed that when the temperature went up from 9 degC to 21 degC (very abrupt but I was fully insulated that time), some particles got baked at the bottom of the AA-filter. It can be true to other cameras, as well, but I have experienced this first-hand and can correlate it with such an event because I always use the blower everytime I change lenses off-field and inspect everything before storage at night. I rarely change lenses in the field.
*Here's the rear view of the GM5. Take note of the PLAY and WiFi/Fn1 buttons.
1632783560182.png

This camera is something. I like it a lot as I can bring it everywhere, although I can do the same with larger MFT ones because I carry a small camera bag all the time. It's just that with the 12-32mm or any pancake lens, I can fit it in any of my jacket pockets or my clutch bag, if I am going to leave the camera bag at home.

EDIT: Added summary for video

Last edited:
My most recent review of my work kind of backfired. In that I decided to add back in a 90mm because of how I have used the 90 in the past. What did not occur to me is that I am not really shooting in that focal range much at all these days. 50mm is about the limit in that regard. Or I am shooting much longer focal lengths borrowing the 70-300 from my dad or the 50-230 from my offspring. Fortunately I'm a hoe bag and easily sold off the 90 back into the wilds of fred miranda. I'm going to shoot the 16/35 pair and see if anything creates a hole in my lens lineup.
The person I sold my 90 to is claiming there is a small scratch on the front element that I did not see when looking it over. And so he does not want it. To make things easy I just told him to send it back. Since it is coming back I'm thinking I will sit on it for a while and see if it starts finding more use. If not, I'm a hoe bag and will sell it again. But the 90 is one of Fuji's best so it can't hurt to see if I find myself using it more.

I forgot to mention it above. But I’ve come to realize all my years of switching systems for work or play has made me a little too much easy come easy go with my gear. Something I need to work harder about not being with the working shoots out of the equation.

The person I sold my 90 to is claiming there is a small scratch on the front element that I did not see when looking it over. And so he does not want it. To make things easy I just told him to send it back. Since it is coming back I'm thinking I will sit on it for a while and see if it starts finding more use. If not, I'm a hoe bag and will sell it again. But the 90 is one of Fuji's best so it can't hurt to see if I find myself using it more.
Some lens you want around even if you only use them every once in a while. For me it was/is the 56. I sold it about 7 months ago because I didn't use it too often. And I regret selling it. Christmas is coming so...

I had a Fuji 90 that I sold, against my better judgment, and have long regretted it. Its reputation is really well deserved - such a stellar lens.

I've been thinking of moving on my Fujifilm gear - a tight little setup centered on the X-E3. But I won't, for the time being. Neither is there a true "upgrade" path within the system: The X-Pro3 is too much camera for my needs regarding this system; the X-E4, while pleasantly minimalist, loses the X-E3 surprisingly comfortable grip and a couple of control points while not offering any real advantages; the X100V, while in theory my dream camera (a 35mm-e compact with a fantastic size and control layout!), is just a bit too flashy while being technologically conservative (no I.B.I.S., incomplete weather sealing) - I have to say I find it overpriced; the X-S10, while being a whole lot of camera for its price, lacks weather sealing as well, so can't compete with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 III. The X-E3 remains the sweet spot for me.

So - I'll just keep the X-E3, and while I've also been agonising about some of the lenses (swap the 27mm for the 27mm II? sell the 90mm?), I'll also keep the system exactly as it is: 18-55mm f/2.8-4, 23mm f/2, 27mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 90mm f/2. At the moment at least, the 18-55mm, 23mm and 35mm certainly offer advantages over other lenses I own (even if the 18-55mm only remaining asset is its speed - both the tiny Nikon Z 16-50mm and the Olympus 12-45mm f/4 PRO beat it optically), and the 27mm is the X mount's equivalent of the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (I'm not sure I prefer the Fujifilm lens, though). The 90mm is a great lens - but the Nikon Z 85mm f/1.8 S offers equal or even superior image quality when paired with either of my APS-C Z bodies; however, the 90mm focuses closer and renders very, very compellingly. So, it's a draw, and furthermore, the 90mm rounds out the Fujifilm system in a very satisfying way. It'd be a shame to let it go.

At some point in time (mostly depending on when Nikon completes the Z APS-C line-up), I'll either sell on or maybe even donate the Fujifilm system as a whole. Just not any time soon.

M.

I've never written an entry here - but the process of 'gear review' is one I think I have gone through frequently, and still go through on occasion. I'll try to keep this on the shorter side, as befits what I view more as a work-in-progress (reviewing, that is).

I currently have two different mirrorless interchangeable camera systems, which seem to do different things for me. One is mu/4-3, a format I have loved since my first mu43 camera, a PL2, came into my hands nearly a decade back. My current crop includes a GX9 and an EP5, both of which do different things. The GX9 is simply the best micro-four-thirds camera I've ever used, in every way. A factory grip makes it substantially more 'holdable' (i.e. well-fitting in my hands); until recently I was immensely happy with a fast, wide-isn prime (the PL15), and possibly the best zoom I've ever used for any camera, the (underrated in my opinion) Vario 12-35, the one with a fixed f/2.8 aperture. No, the camera isn't weather sealed, and no, that's never bothered me. The GX9's built-in l.monochrome.d monochrome filter has also turned it into my monochrome-camera-of-first-choice. The one recent non-necessary-but-fun-nonetheless addition, lens-wise, is the small Olympus telezoom, v.II of the 75-300, which has now de facto replaced my former cool-but-underused Sony bridge camera.

Mu-4/3 body #2 is an E-P5, which I am using mainly just with a 20mm pancake-sized prime, but occasionally also with the tiny fixed f/8 Olympus BCL (Body-Cap-Lens) fisheye. The EP5 has replaced a number of other compacts I used to have or use, including early versions of Ricoh's GR, and a diminutive GM5 and GM1. Though the E-P5 is noticeably bigger and heavier than other cameras, it's got much more of a compact camera vibe for me. It also has de facto replaced the elegant Pen F I used to own but (sssshhhh don't tell anyone) I like the EP5 more.

Then there is my Fuji camera, a used X-Pro3 (financed by selling a number of other almost never-used cameras or lenses). Hands down, it gets the award for being THE best built digital camera I have ever shot with. I'm using it almost exclusively with Fuji's f/1.4 XF35 lens and, weirdly, the combination reminds me of the Pentax analog SLR's that I used for decades. Discovering Ritchie Rosech's superb and geekily-intelligent website (FUJI X WEEKLY) which features dozens of cool 'recipes' for film-inspired jpeg settings, makes this camera even more fun. (The only other camera with as high of a "fun to use" rating, was my Pen F. Both of which had and have extensive jpeg-customizing features. RAW-only purists frown on such heresies, of course.)

Rounding out my gear, is a handful of compact cameras, from pocketable (the Pentax Q7) to semi-pocketable (the Fujifilm X30 and a Canon G1XMkIII), each with strengths, with limitations, and each with enough eccentricities to fill a small dictionary. The EP5 fits in here, as does a truly ancient but tiny GX1 body, converted to infrared. The X30 has become my favorite small-sensored all-in-one compact ever, while the G1Xiii, with its weather-sealed body, fine APS-C sensor and superb little Canon zoom lens (which many reviewers hated for the 'crime' of being too slow) is capable of producing jaw-droppingly fine images.

That's the current lineup and I suspect it will keep me busy and happy for at least a few months, if not a few years. The only other part of my review is asking myself which if any of the cameras I've moved away from, do I really miss? That list has to include the Pentax KP - a beautifully designed DSLR which rivals the XPro3 in build quality and had the added advantage of a universe of truly fine, small, and superb Pentax primes; the Lumix GM5, a little camera to which the compound adjective "jewel-like" truly applies; and the relatively heavy Sony RX10M3/M4, truly amazing all-in-one bridge cameras with one of the best lenses ever made... but saddled with the Sony controls and menus which, for me, have always been clunky at best, and irritatingly complicated at worst.

I think I'm covered for awhile.

Except for those irrational moments when I am afflicted by that old, hard-to-fully-excise analog itch. Fortunately, I've just loaded a roll of Portra 800 into my ancient Rollei... so I'll survive.

Rollei35_f5.6(GrainyFilm).jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P.S. But if the Heavens opened up and dropped a camera or two into my lap today, I wouldn't say 'No' to a Pentax K-1 ... or a Mamiya 6.

Last edited:
As the seasons change once again so does my gear.
My brief visit back to Nikon was very nice. I spent a lot of years with their dslrs and felt I owed myself a try with their mirrorless.

This time around with Sony I have started a collection of the iseries Sigma Contemporary lenses. 35f2, 65f2 and 90f2.8. I really like these lenses. Besides the very nice output they feel great in hand. I also have two Tamrons. The 20mm and 24mm. They're pretty incredible for the price. Especially if output is the main concern. A Sigma 24f3.5 and 45f2.8 will likely make their way into the bag before long.

I had planned on an A7Riii and had one lined up but the seller dragged it out and finally disappeared. I came very close with a C, iii and a 9 before a wonderful deal presented itself on an Riv. The fact that things fell in and out of place the way they did made the iv feel lucky and myself fortunate. It's much more camera than I've ever owned and I am very pleased.

The whole situation with my 90mm going round trip. And my realizing I was too quick to sell it. Now has me thinking if I was too quick to sell the 18mm 1.4 and/or the 56mm 1.2. Especially the 18mm with it being a focal length I wasn't used to. I was quick to run back to the 16mm I was so much more familiar and comfortable with. Hindsight sucks the low winds.

Now that my relocation ideas crashed, I could be spending some on gear.

But lately my photography has been pretty dormant, sufficiently so that I can't really expect to revive it with new toys. I binge-photographed a lot during my vacation, the fruits of which you see me posting daily until I have edited them all. But after that binge, weeks of nonexistent activity. That doesn't spell good. Earlier I would reward myself with gear when I'd been particularly productive or made good photographs. Now if I only binge photograph I can be very happy with what I have.

That's good, right. I think the situation is rather okay. Yes, I'd want to shoot more and get out more on a daily basis but at least this current slump is holding my GAS in.

But if I were to treat myself to some gear, I see three different ideas.

• Get those interesting ultrafast TTArtisan lenses I've been eyeing for a year now. I could be getting some interesting toys for night time photography for some 1400 €. After all, the wisdom goes that you do well to spend money on eternal glass instead of rusting digital bodies.
    • 50mm f/0.95 (oh wow, and this lens receives generally positive comments)
    • 21mm f/1.4
    • 35mm f/1.4 (I don't really need a yet another 35mm but I could probably sell one 35mm after an initial comparisons and tests.)
  • Get a FF MILC body and adapters and get new things out of current lenses and also some very cheap but legendary lenses like those Helios lenses and everything.
    • The smartest choice would be to wait for a used Panasonic S1 to surface (~1200 €)...
    • ...but I really feel like getting that Leica SL2-S (4500 €)
    • here the leftfield option would be the Fujifilm GFX 50 R that's probably quite alright as a 30-megapixel 35mm camera.
  • Get the next M body for 8-9000 €. Oh my, why is this even on my list, makes no sense whatsoever! :D

Luckily release schedules and other things are on my side right now.

• Because the next M is coming in near future I can wait for the final specs. This buys me time. Time to regain my senses.
  • I'm such a cheapskate that buying camera gear brand new is always a losing proposition to me. This places obstacles, climbable ones but obstacles nonetheless, in front of SL2S and new M bodies. Also partly in front of those TTartisan lenses, no matter how affordable given their specs.
  • This really leaves me with just the leisurely option of "just wait for M11 patiently and eye for Panasonic S1 sales in the meantime" that I guess am happy to obey, given my current slump.

Last edited:
I settled the last big internal debate I’ve been having. If I’m going to lock into one kit for a long time and stop swapping gear in and out. Do I stay with a camera with the ergonomics I like the most, the Pro2. Or do I go with a better, more capable camera in the X-T3. My dad recommended I move to a Pro3. But I put the limitation in that if I change, I want to be an even, or very close to, even money trade. Which lands me at the X-T3. Which I ultimately decided to go with. Down the road I don’t want the frustration of missing a shot due to AF performance. Plus I like that sensor more. And the XT line seems to get more updates. I found a T3 with 3k clicks on it for $925 including insured shipping and PayPal fee. Plus extra batteries, arca Swiss style tripod plate, and hand grip. So going forward I will have the T3 with 18 1.4, 33 1.4, and 90 f2.

.....PL15 is also a tiny bit larger in dimensions than I hoped. Nothing problematic but a true m4/3 hoarder will definitely see the benefits of having both the PL15 and Olympus 17/1.8 in the stable. The Olympus focuses like lightning, is compact and cute, also has the excellently implemented manual focus clutch. PL15 excels for its optical qualities.......
Going through and rereading the thread and noticed this.

I have to point that the lenses, without the hoods, are actually the same diameter and length with the Oly being 5g heavier. Yes it surprised me when I realized it.

No it doesn't look like this is the case, for me it's that the Oly 17 tapers and the PL15 doesn't. Another part is the PL15 screams "leave the hood on" while the Oly hood and aftermarket versions are reversible.

Going through and rereading the thread and noticed this.

I have to point that the lenses, without the hoods, are actually the same diameter and length with the Oly being 5g heavier. Yes it surprised me when I realized it.

No it doesn't look like this is the case, for me it's that the Oly 17 tapers and the PL15 doesn't. Another part is the PL15 screams "leave the hood on" while the Oly hood and aftermarket versions are reversible.
You must be right! Memory is a stranger.

Back