Personal gear review

If you get a chance, try the Oly 25/1.8 - it has a special rendering that I feel the Panasonic 25/1.7 totally lacks. It's "gentler" than the 20/1.7 and a bit more modern in its rendering, but very pleasing.
I will try it anytime soon, at least in the shop. I am impressed by that default minimum SS of 1/100sec vs 1/60sec on Panasonic lenses.

By the way, I have just sold the GX9. There's nothing wrong with it but I may have purchased it on impulse. I am downsizing my MFT body inventory but will be keeping the lenses. I could have kept it but I told myself that it's better for other people to enjoy the system/camera that to have it sit on the shelf/box. I sold it 2 days after listing it. Regarding the handling issue when using my Sigma macro zoom on the GM5, I am just going to wait for/acquire an Olympus 60mm macro, which is relatively light vs the Sigma.

I sold the camera to a Nikonian who is still in-contact with me just because he's really happy with the purchase and would like to know more about system. He's now on a lens buying spree.

Been a two weeks since the airshow, been knocking on the sky a bit.

Personal opinion after reading all the rumors and all the positive thoughts of other Fuji users, I believe a large portion of the effort on the X-H2 is going to be wrt video capability. And any action camera approaching similarity to Canon/ Nikon/ Sony will be in the X-T line.

Checking the airshow calendar and thinking about my health, upcoming doc visits and procedures, etc... it will likely be 2023 before I shoot another airshow.

One doc visit of note is with neurology on Monday. I'll get an idea of what might or might not be in my future wrt the tremors. If they feel it is a neuro issue I'll likely be doing some testing before anything else happens. This one issue will likely be the one that impacts airshow shooting the most.

So... plan for now is to wait and see what the Neuro Docs say before I do anything concerning gear.

edit - math correction

maybe it's time for my own write-up... if even only to clear my head... :)

My main system is still m43... but I've bought too many other cameras around it, that things have become a bit cluttered...

What I like about m43:
-ergonomics
-lenses can usually be used from their widest aperture
-most Olympus lenses have excellent close focus
-quality zooms (with good close focus)
-small enough to not make make me feel conspicuous when I take eg a photo of some flower on somebody's fence :)

the only time I felt m43 lacking was in dark forest lighting - with the need for high ISO and high dynamic range...
for that purpose I bought a Nikon D750 kit with 24-120...
The D750 delivered on the quality of the sensor, but left me lacking in the "enjoying to use it" department...
-bigger and heavier
-no close focus on the zoom
-lens has to be stopped down for best quality

Now I'm pondering whether to spend more money on gear (sidegrade the D750 to a Z5..., get some completely other system, trade in the D750 for some of the m43 pro lenses...) ... or just keep using what I have...

I might just stick to what I have for a bit longer... "force" myself to use the D750 more often... learn to use it better... find out which bits of my gear I enjoy using...
Going out and using your gear is usually the best thing to clear your head of GAS... I need to start doing that again more... (the pandemic didn't help with all that... )

My main system is still m43... but I've bought too many other cameras around it, that things have become a bit cluttered...

What I like about m43:
-ergonomics
-small enough to not make make me feel conspicuous when I take eg a photo of some flower on somebody's fence :)

the only time I felt m43 lacking was in dark forest lighting - with the need for high ISO and high dynamic range...
The D750 delivered on the quality of the sensor, but left me lacking in the "enjoying to use it" department...
-bigger and heavier

Now I'm pondering whether to spend more money on gear (sidegrade the D750 to a Z5..., get some completely other system, trade in the D750 for some of the m43 pro lenses...) ... or just keep using what I have...

I might just stick to what I have for a bit longer... "force" myself to use the D750 more often... learn to use it better... find out which bits of my gear I enjoy using...
Going out and using your gear is usually the best thing to clear your head of GAS... I need to start doing that again more... (the pandemic didn't help with all that... )
In my experience, after being spoiled by M4/3 size of lenses and bodies, I find big cameras just too hard to stick with. The heft and size of something which is big enough to require a strap is hard to get used to swinging and bumping around at your side. Maybe identify if it's truly the size and weight of your Nikon that isn't suiting you: if it is, buying another in a similar class is not gonna solve anything.

Last edited:

What I like about m43:
-ergonomics

-bigger and heavier

Red - Personally, I find this thread helpful.

Sometimes, putting things to written word, then coming back later, lets me see things I might not have thought about initially.

It's great as a sounding board, others may suggest something I haven't thought of or give me a different way of looking at something I did.

Definitely a IMHO and YMMV thing.

Blue - as Andrew mentioned, need to ID what you really don't enjoy about the Nikon gear before swapping for more Nikon gear IMHO. Been there, done that, wore out the t-shirts. Also IMHO, once you factor in the newer Z lens designs I'm not sure the total package is going to be smaller unless you decide to go with smaller lenses. Maybe a little lighter than the F-mount stuff.

For those of us who don't care only about the image, but also enjoy the physical act of photography (or those who are gearheads), finding the right gear that enhances the enjoyment can sometimes be a bit problematic/ frustrating (and sometimes fun).

Thanks - I appreciate the input! This thread (and forum) is indeed very helpful.
(Pretty rare these days to find a forum where you can casually chat about all the different systems - without things getting heated on the “brand front” :D )

Yeah, it seems to me that with smaller (and more flexible) cameras my enjoyment when taking the photos is higher.
And with the bigger full frame gear the enjoyment of post processing can be higher (but no guarantee for that).

And since it’s more important to me that the process of taking the photo is playful and fun - I guess that’s what I need to keep in mind for any decision… :)

1. My daily shots (my hobby/artsy/street/walk-around photographs like the kind I post on this forum), the grandkids, and my telephoto shots (animal/zoo/theme park/occasional race kit), constitute most of my photos.

2. My current daily kit consists of an iPhone 12 and the GR iiix. Since I only like to use the iPhone without digital enlargement, this give me 13, 26, and 40 mme lenses with which to work. Not the fastest kit, but the iPhone can do all that computational witchcraft and the GR has 24 mp, no AA filter, and a sharp lens. It's actually working pretty well and it's really easy to carry.

3. I think my experience with the Fuji X-H2 has taught me that my biggest camera body should be not bigger than the current Sony A7 and A7R bodies.

4. The X-S10 / XF 50 f2 is pretty good in AF-S with face/eye detection, but still not nearly as good as the A7Riii as a grandkids camera because of the AF. Still, I hardly use the A7Riii for anything else at this point and I have thought of selling it and maybe getting an A7C or it's successor. I could still use my FE mount lenses, get what everyone says is really good tracking AF, and at least the option of using the EVF. The Sony body will be mainly for the superior AF to chase around the grandkids. I admit I am kinda curious what Sony is releasing next year, knowing I'll be mad at myself if I get the A7C right before they release a new version which fixes the A7C's problems or at least makes Version 1 cheaper. Or maybe an A7IV. 🤑:ROFLMAO:🤑😂

5. My set of Olympus PENs and the X30 are part of my camera "collection" and is for fun and to use with my remainings mu43 lenses. I probably should sell the X-T30. It could help pay for the A7IV. 😱

Comments welcome. Any obvious flaws in my thinking?

I’d be curious to see the results of the Fuji X-T3 with the 50 f2 as your grandkids camera. Selling the X-T30 would cover the cost of that also once B&H does their “re release” price.

Quick follow-up on my musings… Of course I didn’t ‘really’ heed my advice and just spent more money :-D

But - at least I can justify it somewhat (can’t we always? :D )
One factor that left me dissatisfied with the D750 is lack of reach in my lenses (120mm being the longest) - with me being more a telephoto kind of person - picking out details in the landscape.

So I just ordered the Nikkor AF-P 70-300mm… It’s currently at a great price here in Canada at 600CAD - which is a third of what I’d pay for an Olympus 40-150mm 2.8… (and the Nikkor is smaller and lighter too)

That gives me a complete lens set to use for the D750 (I already have a macro and portrait lens)… and if I still don’t like it after using it for a while, then so be it :D

Switching the D750 for a Z5 wouldn’t make much sense… I’d still be missing all the lenses I’d want… or if I used my DSLR lenses on the FTZ adapter it’d be possibly more unwieldy than the D750…

I’d be curious to see the results of the Fuji X-T3 with the 50 f2 as your grandkids camera. Selling the X-T30 would cover the cost of that also once B&H does their “re release” price.
It's good on the X-S10. The 50 focusses better than the old lenses. It reasonably fast and I find it a good FL for close up indoor shots.

Well, got back from the neuro doc. Essential Tremors, not Parkinson's. That's good news.

The tremors may or may not go away, get better, or get worse. Bad news is that my breathing issue (asthma) can worsen them, and the meds I take for several issues can be an issue. I'll have to chat with cardiology and pulmonology about this at my next follow-ups. The timing of the onset of the asthma and the change of the tremors from random to consistent and repeatable lines up nicely.

Since the tremors are currently more of an annoyance than a serious hinderance with life stuff, not yet time to try and work on finding a set of meds that works to treat both issues. I guess how the drugs work in the individual can affect which ones work with or against the other... and may be having some med changes soon. We'll see how things are in 6 months - same, better, worse, meds list - and go from there.

So, will likely pare down the gear a bit. Knock at the sky for a while. Since 2023 is likely the next airshow I could reasonably expect to attend, I have time to make decisions. In the mean time, IBIS, and IBIS + OIS are going to be en vogue for me myself and I. :coffee-79:

edit - second piece of good news today is a biopsy of a lump on my knee came back benign, will call the Dermatology peeps in the morning to get the details.

Last edited:
Well, got back from the neuro doc. Essential Tremors, not Parkinson's. That's good news.
Fantastic news, Gordon.
The tremors may or may not go away, get better, or get worse. Bad news is that my breathing issue (asthma) can worsen them, and the meds I take for several issues can be an issue. I'll have to chat with cardiology and pulmonology about this at my next follow-ups. The timing of the onset of the asthma and the change of the tremors from random to consistent and repeatable lines up nicely.
I'm also an asthmatic, with quite a few heart problems - nothing mechanical (except for my mitral valve ... ), but the electrics are stuffed.

Make sure that none of the puffers you use have CFC propellants. These will cause tremors, specially as we get older. Ditto other medications, but the inhaled ones are right at the top. Australia banned CFCs in the late 1990s, even in puffers. However, these were still in use in the USA in 2010+ (in particular, in Ventolin) .

Since the tremors are currently more of an annoyance than a serious hinderance with life stuff, not yet time to try and work on finding a set of meds that works to treat both issues. I guess how the drugs work in the individual can affect which ones work with or against the other... and may be having some med changes soon. We'll see how things are in 6 months - same, better, worse, meds list - and go from there.
I take about 15 medications a day, some multiple times. They can lead you a merry chase! Once you get them stable, don't change dosage, time or anything (even brands!) without consulting your doctors.
So, will likely pare down the gear a bit. Knock at the sky for a while. Since 2023 is likely the next airshow I could reasonably expect to attend, I have time to make decisions. In the mean time, IBIS, and IBIS + OIS are going to be en vogue for me myself and I. :coffee-79:
Yup. Try the E-M1 MkII (or MkIII) with the 12-100. Sync-IS is spooky good, even with my shakey hands, I can occasionally manage 7 stops!
edit - second piece of good news today is a biopsy of a lump on my knee came back benign, will call the Dermatology peeps in the morning to get the details.
Great news :) .

Fantastic news, Gordon.

I'm also an asthmatic, with quite a few heart problems - nothing mechanical (except for my mitral valve ... ), but the electrics are stuffed.

Make sure that none of the puffers you use have CFC propellants. These will cause tremors, specially as we get older. Ditto other medications, but the inhaled ones are right at the top. Australia banned CFCs in the late 1990s, even in puffers. However, these were still in use in the USA in 2010+ (in particular, in Ventolin) .

I take about 15 medications a day, some multiple times. They can lead you a merry chase! Once you get them stable, don't change dosage, time or anything (even brands!) without consulting your doctors.

Yup. Try the E-M1 MkII (or MkIII) with the 12-100. Sync-IS is spooky good, even with my shakey hands, I can occasionally manage 7 stops!

Great news :) .

John, thanks for the notes. Wishing you well with your health.

All of my cardiac stuff is wonky electrics, my mech stuff is all good. The neuro mentioned the asthma meds, so when I see cardio and pulmo on the 6th and 7th, I'll be discussing this issue with them. I'm sure you're aware potassium levels are another thing affecting the electrics - I just found that out the 11th when my palpitations went into overdrive and felt like someone was hitting my chest, multiple times a minute, skipped heat beat, for hours. That was an ER visit and an uncomfortable evening. First time I've had issues with potassium levels. Docs are now tracking that, have me on replacement pills, and are trying to figure out the reason my levels have changed from normal to low. My current heart med is close to the allowed max, so that might be getting changed if they don't feel it's time for the Borg treatment.

Luckily I'm only doing 10 prescription and a few helpful supplements. I take them like clockwork, I've missed a dose of the heart stuff a couple times over the last 3 years it was definitely felt. I don't change anything without consulting the docs, trying to keep up with all the interactions can be a pain. I do ask a lot of questions and double-check some things with the pharmacist when there are changes. In the past a pharmacist caught a mistake a flight surgeon made with a prescrip, lucky me.

Back on to the camera stuffs...

The Oly is on my list of things to check out. Considering the problems my hands/ fingers have with Fuji, not sure if it'll be an option. But first I have to get the stuff in my hand to make a determination.

Last edited:
Another thing on the gear front, if I can't get things that'll fit my hands/ fingers and have good enough IS between body and lens for steady shooting at airshows, it'll be time to shift subjects so I can keep shooting.

Also, when roaming around Pima Air & Space yesterday, I realized I either need a wider lens or I need to get much better at detail shots.

The WCL for the X100F might be wide enough, but that means putting more money into a camera that might have to depart. Already have the 16-55 and the X-H1 with its IBIS, but it's a larger & heavier package than the F, even with WCL.

Decisions, decisions... :coffee-79:

John, thanks for the notes. Wishing you well with your health.
Thanks, Gordon.
All of my cardiac stuff is wonky electrics, my mech stuff is all good. The neuro mentioned the asthma meds, so when I see cardio and pulmo on the 6th and 7th, I'll be discussing this issue with them. I'm sure you're aware potassium levels are another thing affecting the electrics - I just found that out the 11th when my palpitations went into overdrive and felt like someone was hitting my chest, multiple times a minute, skipped heat beat, for hours. That was an ER visit and an uncomfortable evening. First time I've had issues with potassium levels. Docs are now tracking that, have me on replacement pills, and are trying to figure out the reason my levels have changed from normal to low. My current heart med is close to the allowed max, so that might be getting changed if they don't feel it's time for the Borg treatment.

I have a two lead pacemaker, and have had two cardiac ablations (2018, pacemaker, then 2021). The first pretty well sorted out the problems with abnormal neuronal bundles interfering with the three atrio-ventricular nodes. These were causing bradycardia, tachycardia, level 3 atrio-ventricular block, arrhythmia, among others.

The second ablation removed abnormal nodes around the superior and inferior vena cava. These were causing serious abnormalities that required an emergency procedure to deal with.

Following the second ablation, I have no tachycardia and no arrhythmia. My blood pressure hasn't been as normal as it now is for at least 20 years! My pacemaker is now working properly, and the people responsible for monitoring it nightly are now doing so. They had previously ignored it for 3 months, leading to a life threatening condition, the emergency ablation, and the wrath of my (very) senior cardiologist.

Luckily I'm only doing 10 prescription and a few helpful supplements. I take them like clockwork, I've missed a dose of the heart stuff a couple times over the last 3 years it was definitely felt. I don't change anything without consulting the docs, trying to keep up with all the interactions can be a pain. I do ask a lot of questions and double-check some things with the pharmacist when there are changes. In the past a pharmacist caught a mistake a flight surgeon made with a prescrip, lucky me.
That's my approach too. I make it my business to know at least as much as my specialists about my conditions and medications. Warfarin makes this imperative!
Back on to the camera stuffs...
Yeah, much more pleasant subject!
The Oly is on my list of things to check out. Considering the problems my hands/ fingers have with Fuji, not sure if it'll be an option. But first I have to get the stuff in my hand to make a determination.
Agree. You absolutely must try before you buy.

Back