Personal gear review

LOL. There are some hard-core devotees of mu-43, and I've certainly enjoyed the times I dipped my toes in those waters for a while. I might still be there if they had a) a small WR camera about the size of the GX85 with a tilt screen (not fully articulating); and b) small WR primes like the Fujicrons. While APS-C does offer somewhat better DR for low light situations, I don't think the difference is a deal-breaker. After all, I've carried nothing but my X30 into the woods plenty of times. I've even carried it on foul weather excursions, although I'm certainly more comfortable doing that with a WR setup.

LOL. There are some hard-core devotees of mu-43, and I've certainly enjoyed the times I dipped my toes in those waters for a while. I might still be there if they had a) a small WR camera about the size of the GX85 with a tilt screen (not fully articulating); and b) small WR primes like the Fujicrons. While APS-C does offer somewhat better DR for low light situations, I don't think the difference is a deal-breaker. After all, I've carried nothing but my X30 into the woods plenty of times. I've even carried it on foul weather excursions, although I'm certainly more comfortable doing that with a WR setup.
That's actually what I put together around the Olympus OM-D E-M5 III :) The 12-45mm f/4 PRO is a wonderful all-purpose lens with fantastic weather sealing, and the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II serves as (reasonably) compact, sealed prime - a great all-year kit! The existence of the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO and Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 PRO in my bag I see as a fantastic bonus because I can do events with those lenses ... And of course, with the GX9 and smaller primes, I can go really compact as well.

:mu43: was my entry point into digital photography and is still lots of fun and great value! That said, I do enjoy FF mirrorless ... So, I need an eclectic board to live on; all the better for me that I happen to belong to one :2thumbs:

M.

Mu43 is still a great system. I use it sometimes just to shake it up a bit. You just have to be a bit more careful and you can do just fine, at least for still life. I’m referring to my old 12 MP Pens of course, not the newest bodies.

Last edited:
Well now ...

I very deliberately chose FTs then mFTs.

I considered all the other formats, and price is not really a decider.

The consideration took nearly two years. In 13 years, I have never regretted those choices.
The good news about mu43 is that the lens collection is fairly complete. As long as Panasonic and especially OMDS update the bodies with current tech, mu43 fans will be in business for quite a while.

The good news about mu43 is that the lens collection is fairly complete. As long as Panasonic and especially OMDS update the bodies with current tech, mu43 fans will be in business for quite a while.
Absolutely! OMDS is also releasing quite a few interesting lenses.
What might hold them back a bit right now is that they weren’t able to release a new body with new sensor yet - but hopefully next year!

Absolutely! OMDS is also releasing quite a few interesting lenses.
What might hold them back a bit right now is that they weren’t able to release a new body with new sensor yet - but hopefully next year!
But if they do...WOW! :whistle:

I have all the M-4/3 lenses I need. The Lumix 25 and 12-60, and the Leica 8-18, 50-200, and 100-400. Also have a Samyang 85/1.4 that rarely gets any use, will probably sell it.

I had hoped Panny would introduce a successor to the G9 with fewer video features and less cost than the GH6, but I think they've hitched their wagon securely to the video market. That probably makes the most sense for them, unfortunately it doesn't make the most sense for me. So, I have entered the FF fray with a pre-order on Sony's A7 IV. Along with that move I decided to get rid of the GX9 which I've disliked since I bought it. I hate that freakin' flippy EVF. Yeah, I know some love it. I'm absolutely certain it's my own failings as a human being that are the cause, so please, no cards or letters. In exchange for the GX9 I have a Sony APS-C body coming to toss in my vehicle and have with me.

So the end result is I'll have three systems.

I guess I need to look into medium format... :hide:

But if they do...WOW! :whistle:

I have all the M-4/3 lenses I need. The Lumix 25 and 12-60, and the Leica 8-18, 50-200, and 100-400. Also have a Samyang 85/1.4 that rarely gets any use, will probably sell it.

I had hoped Panny would introduce a successor to the G9 with fewer video features and less cost than the GH6, but I think they've hitched their wagon securely to the video market. That probably makes the most sense for them, unfortunately it doesn't make the most sense for me. So, I have entered the FF fray with a pre-order on Sony's A7 IV. Along with that move I decided to get rid of the GX9 which I've disliked since I bought it. I hate that freakin' flippy EVF. Yeah, I know some love it. I'm absolutely certain it's my own failings as a human being that are the cause, so please, no cards or letters. In exchange for the GX9 I have a Sony APS-C body coming to toss in my vehicle and have with me.

So the end result is I'll have three systems.

I guess I need to look into medium format... :hide:
I still have a decent set of mu43 lenses. I could easily be tempted by the right new mu43 body.

Unrepentant M43 devotee here, probably sneaking off into hoarder territory, caved and bought a black GF2 with sundries today, to replace the silver one in the collection, a tally of 4 bodies the last week or so, none newer than 2014, though and with the exception of the GM5, in the $50ish territory.

Actually fondled the G9 with PL12-60 today, for the first time since July, temps and season up here is going downhill fast, so the weather and temp resistant gear should be brought forth rather sooner than later. By Jove that machine is big and heavy, after a lot of small body shooting, either small sensor stuff or M43, this spring, summer and autumn.

I understand why I went for M43 in the first place, even though the G9 is smaller than the Pentax K7 and Canon D50 I dabbed with when shooting Dslrs. I just wonder how much more I would have shot, if I had actually bought the GF1 back when I bought the K7, they where released at the same time. Not swapping system untill it folds solidly and even then I probably have M43 gear to see me through my seventies and well into my 80s... I am 53 now. 🥳

The only other system that sings the song of the sirens for me, is the Fuji medium format, but I really cant see it happening anytime soon. Cost/benefit and all that.

A model with the GF1 (preferably) or GX1 form factor, updated 20Mp sensor with stabilisation, weather sealing, and fitting the LVF-2, possibly with a battery grip to help with the bigger PL lenses? Yes, please, I take 2!

I just hope you know that Steve was acting thoroughly tongue-in-cheek ;)

M.
Sorry for my overreaction, everyone. After being the target of bashing every day at DPR from 2007-2020, I am still suffering from shell shock.

As it turns out, it's just as well I went small, but 'good enough' way back. These days, my osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, knackered lumbar spine and solidly worked over heart (mechanical mitral valve, pacemaker and two ablations) make it impossible for me to use or carry heavy kit for any length of time. Besides, there is no other lens anywhere near the IQ of the 12-100. It's truly magnificent. I almost never remove it from my E-M1 MkII. If I want small, there's the E-M1 MkI + 12-50 macro, at a bit over half the weight. Really, really small, the E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ with JJC auto-opening lens cap at under 360 grams.

IMG_20210306_155523.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sorry about the picture quality. I'm not much good with mobile phone cameras.

Last edited:
Back