Petach is back...

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
Hello one and all. Back after a fairly long absence. I have ditched Ricoh GR (in its various iterations) and now sport a Panny Lumix GX9 with 12-32mm kit lens. I also ditched Canon full frames and use a Sony 7 mk4 with 35mm f/1.8 and a 70-300 G Master. I have been on a bit of a journey and had a major revaluation of my life and how it clashed with photography (or vice versa)

I intend to use the Panny for street and hope to get a 15mm f/1.7 lens in the near future for that purpose. The Sony will be used for everything else.

My Parkinson's has somewhat stayed manageable.....I am still able to press a shutter button thankfully. I had a fall in July last year and fractured my leg, bashed my face on a brick wall and lost a tooth. I can't feel my legs or feet due to neuropathy caused by trapped nerves in my spine. I had a couple of blackouts (in Boston) and another one in France. But still soldiering on with a walking cane and a disabled parking permit. To cap it all, I have quite severe arthritis in both index fingers and can hardly bend them. But.....as they say "It ain't over til it is"

I aim to give the Panny a good workout starting this Sunday coming. It is the annual Grimaldi Memorial in a London church where the great Grimaldi the Clown is remembered. Clowns from all over the world come to the memorial and wander the streets for a while before the service. Lookin' forward to that!

I find typing a chore and, because I am a pedant regarding spelling and grammar; I spend more time back-space deleting and correcting when my fingers do the "Parkinson's cha-cha" on the keyboard without any help from me. I will comment when I feel really moved by another members post, but in the main I shall likely just use an appropriate emoji to show I have seen and enjoyed your post.

So....hello. Nice to be. back. Lookin' forward to it.

Welcome back Pete! Glad to hear the Parkinson's is manageable, although it's obviously affecting most / every aspect(s) of your life - that fall sounds nasty. To still have you wandering about and photographing - great job! Although if I understand the revaluation part correctly, you came to the conclusion that the way you were doing photography clashed with your current life?

I always loved your photos, if you feel like sharing any I'd love to see them!

Also, I don't know how your speech is, but perhaps speech-to-text software could take some of the chore out of typing?

Welcome back Pete! Glad to hear the Parkinson's is manageable, although it's obviously affecting most / every aspect(s) of your life - that fall sounds nasty. To still have you wandering about and photographing - great job! Although if I understand the revaluation part correctly, you came to the conclusion that the way you were doing photography clashed with your current life?

I always loved your photos, if you feel like sharing any I'd love to see them!

Also, I don't know how your speech is, but perhaps speech-to-text software could take some of the chore out of typing?
Thanks for the welcome back. Speech to text sounds good but I hate the sound of my own voice. I manage ok really, just get a bit frustrated with myself now and then. I cannot complain, I can do pretty much what I want to....only a bit slower than I could before.

Welcome back @Petach - I joined here too recently to remember you from before, but I'm certainly looking forward
to seeing your work; the upcoming event sounds fascinating. Do the clowns show up in costume ?
Hi, thanks for the welcome. The clowns either turn up fully costumed or they get changed in the church hall. They then parade around the street before the service in the church.

Good to see you here Peter.
Your post has put my own situation in better perspective.
I enjoyed your post about the night club.
Keep shooting, and how do you like your Sony A7iv?

Good to see you here Peter.
Your post has put my own situation in better perspective.
I enjoyed your post about the night club.
Keep shooting, and how do you like your Sony A7iv?
thank you for the kind words, much appreciated. Lovin' the A7iv. Menu takes a bit of getting used to but managing day by day with it.

Welcome back, Pete! It will be good to have both your pictures and your words back among us. It's good to hear that you are still hopping, skipping and jumping about, metaphorically speaking, and that you have gotten through some challenging moments. Congrats on the GX9 by the way! It is a splendid and insanely capable little camera and a great street photography machines. The little 12-32 kit lens is a truly versatile bit of glass, but I predict you will be delighted with the 15mm - which is, in my opinion, one of the all time great lenses, and not just for M43.

It's good to have you here again.

Welcome back, Peter.

Parkinson's disease is a real bugger. My wife's mother had Shy-Drager syndrome with associated Parkinsonism.

Wishing you all the best with dealing with your various ailments.
Thank you for the welcome back. I looked up Shy-Drager.... and along with MND...that is another illness that makes me feel comparatively lucky. So far I have escaped the real serious ravages of PD and long may it remain. Cheers

Welcome back, Pete! It will be good to have both your pictures and your words back among us. It's good to hear that you are still hopping, skipping and jumping about, metaphorically speaking, and that you have gotten through some challenging moments. Congrats on the GX9 by the way! It is a splendid and insanely capable little camera and a great street photography machines. The little 12-32 kit lens is a truly versatile bit of glass, but I predict you will be delighted with the 15mm - which is, in my opinion, one of the all time great lenses, and not just for M43.

It's good to have you here again.
cheers....so nice to catch up with some of the old names I remember from here. Encouraging view of GX9 from you along with the kit lens. Well...will give it a good workout today. Cheers

Back