Pete is back......with apologies!

Best wishes Pete and good to have you back. These tropical parasites are terrible. I have a work colleague who went to Thailand for a 4-week holiday of a lifetime. He sprained his ankle in the airport, and when he got to Thailand contracted Dengue Fever and was in hospital the whole time. That wasn't pleasant and I'm sure your experience was no fun either!

Blimey Pete! You don't do things by halves do you!? Sorry to hear of your travails, but it's good to have you back.

Persevere with the steroid jabs - but perhaps don't go for a yomp for a day or two afterwards! I had an injection in each heel a couple of weeks ago to counter plantar fasciiitis and they do work - if you give them a chance ;)

By the way, should we give "Bruce" his own login...?o_O
Yep those steroid jabs are brilliant. I've lost count of the injections I've had in the last few years in both shoulders, one knee and two bits of a big toe (that one definitely made the old eyes water). But the results are wonderful.

Glad you haven't entertained the idea of photographing your output ... that kind of thing would win you the turner prize!

Sorry your trip wasn't what you hoped it would be. Life is like that at times. Got to take the good with the bad.

Bloody hell, Pete, you have been in the wars! I bet you picked up that little hitch hiker in Darwin, we dont seem to have it further south (unless, of course, we are all immune).

My deepest sympathy... being ill is not pleasant, and I dont think anyone really gets it until it happens to them. Hope your jab sorts out some stuff too, I had to have one in my hip and another in my spine, brilliant stuff.

Damn....that needle! It was 2 inches long AND it went in all the way too! The doctor jabbed a finger hard into the fleshy part in order to pinpoint the injection site. I let him know where it was from my gritted teeth after his 4th or 5th prod. Then....he used the open end of a biro pen cap and jabbed that on it to "mark it" like a fleshy target. Then I had to go to the phlebotomist to have a blood sample taken. Unusually; for me, the taker could not get the vein and she prodded and poked around with the needle until she hit the supply pipeline. I broke out into a cold sweat.

The benefit so far? The pain is still there but may take a few weeks to show any sign of efficacy. However, I am being waited on hand and foot with my foot up on a cushion......just as the doc' ordered.

I'm not British so I'd have to Google "two stones" but it sounds like a lot. Glad to hear that you are putting home, putting some weight back on, and are generally on the mend. If the parasite won't leave, I'd give it an unflattering name.

Get well.

Pete,

Have you considered going to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Blastocystis is not uncommon in the UK and the jury is out on its pathogenicity. In my experience multiple parasite infestation is common so it would be worth investigations for other organisms.

I hope you get better soon.

Malcolm (retired microbiologist)

Pete,

Have you considered going to the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Blastocystis is not uncommon in the UK and the jury is out on its pathogenicity. In my experience multiple parasite infestation is common so it would be worth investigations for other organisms.

I hope you get better soon.

Malcolm (retired microbiologist)

Thanks Malcolm, much appreciated. Will send an email to you after this

Commiserations Pete. I had a less serious parasitic infection when I lived in Albania. The locals advised me that Raki was the solution. They were right. Hope you make a full recovery.

Back