Philadelphia Streets X20

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Please do not judge the X20's IQ by my work. I make images the way I want them to be and that's not always the best the camera can produce. I will say that the X20 has a great way of working and configuring on the go. The X10 does also but I couldn't deal with the RAW. You will notice some are color and they are done with presets, so the color is the way I want it, not the way the camera wants to reproduce them.
Don

View attachment 12621
04-13-1061.jpg by streetshooter.net, on Flickr

View attachment 12622
04-13-1097.jpg by streetshooter.net, on Flickr

View attachment 12623
04-13-1067.jpg by streetshooter.net, on Flickr

View attachment 12624
04-13-1108.jpg by streetshooter.net, on Flickr

Thanks Ray. The set from today on the street is zone focus...supposedly hyper focal distance. I'm testing the actual focus distance on the scale. It's off but consistant.
I'll have it worked out over the weekend.

The AF on the X20 is extremely fast and accurate. The camera really handles. I was afraid to try it due to the X10 Raw issues but they fixed that really well. I am very happy with this real compact do it all camera.
If your in town, you are welcomed to try it out....

Thanks Ray. The set from today on the street is zone focus...supposedly hyper focal distance. I'm testing the actual focus distance on the scale. It's off but consistant.
I'll have it worked out over the weekend.

The AF on the X20 is extremely fast and accurate. The camera really handles. I was afraid to try it due to the X10 Raw issues but they fixed that really well. I am very happy with this real compact do it all camera.
If your in town, you are welcomed to try it out....
If I remember from my time with the X10, I'd focus at five feet at about f4-f5 and the world was in focus. In low light I'd open the lens a bit and go with a narrower zone. Those small sensor cameras are awfully forgiving that way. I may take you up on the offer - one way or another I'll check one out somewhere along the line...

Thanks,

-Ray

Ray, as good as the X10 is, I see a difference between the 2 cameras. On the surface, the X10 is a fine jpeg shooter and the X20 a fine RAW shooter.
There are other differences between the 2 but I won't post too much as I would not want the X10 users to hunt me down and beat me on the streets.....

Ray, as good as the X10 is, I see a difference between the 2 cameras. On the surface, the X10 is a fine jpeg shooter and the X20 a fine RAW shooter.
There are other differences between the 2 but I won't post too much as I would not want the X10 users to hunt me down and beat me on the streets.....

Yeah, the X20 looks pretty sweet except for the varying opinions on the IQ, raw v jpeg, etc. I've sort of accepted that I'll never give a compact enough of a role to care about how good it is in low light. I've got other gear I'll always pull out for that kind of shooting. Once I gave into that, I haven't had a desire for any compact beyond the LX7. Which doesn't have a great sensor but is so good otherwise... And I don't use THAT enough. So I'm not looking too hard at compacts these days. Someday somebody will make a really nice camera around the 1" sensor from the RX100 and I may develop a serious interest in that, but for the moment I'm barely paying attention. With the new Nikon and Ricoh GR,, the whole idea of a compact camera has pretty much been redefined anyway...

-Ray

I have other choices also but I'm not carrying any Leica's on the streets anymore. The days are over of a naive follower. I'm not a bagman either so I need a camera that is more ready than I for whatever finds me out there without carrying a bag.

The new crop of cameras are getting too good and for me that means too perfect, as in too digital.
The X20 at say ISO 100 could look like the Mono or M9. It's a real natural grit machine.
I'm liking it for all it is and what it will be.
Don

Daido has been shooting the X10 last year for an exhibition in Hong Kong, so the X20 should be adequate for street shooting. Your samples prove this point.

Back