Feedback Photo gallery forums too scattered!

If it hasn't been used in a year, toss it out
First 7-8 years my wife and I were married we moved every 6 - 18 months, if it hadn't been used since the last move it didn't get moved.

Then we moved into a house and had 2 kids..........
Then we moved to a bigger house...........

But last year we downsized, a niece made out pretty good, a big yard sale, and a couple of calls to 1-800-got-junk..........

There's a lot of information here, I'm going to give some replies with my thoughts in no specific order or to address specific posts (otherwise I'd probably need to create a bibliography).
  • M4/3 doesn't have a showcase sub forum, is that because Amin also had the m4/3 forum and it wasn't merged here? I'm not 100% sure we need one, but since that's what I mainly shoot it's something I've noticed.
  • The Fuji showcase sub forum could used some clean up if it's really suppose to be just lens sample images. There are duplicates, the 18-55 f/2.8-4 and 50-140 f/2.8 each have 2 showcase threads in the first 3 pages. There are discussion threads and genres threads that should be in the main Fuji forum or in one of the other gallery forums. In Fuji's case (and others if applicable) I would be tempted to leave the simulation showcases.
  • Is Fuji the only system that seems to be generating the news and rumors threads or is that just my perception?
  • While I can't offer any addition information on why the "Color" forum, there are a number of the "Mega Threads" that are "Color" specific. Since they are pretty specific I would think those would be better in the "Color" forum than in the Other forum.
  • In general I prefer the "Share" type threads but agree it would be nice to set a #500 - 1000 (?) post break.
  • Another forum I've been a member of for a long time is actually almost entirely non collaborative image threads. I prefer collaborative but, as others have said, I prefer themes and not just a dumping ground. Yes challenges can be dumping threads, but I personally don't look at them the same way, for one thing many are single image per post and or themed in some way.
  • Posting limits in collaborative threads? Cross posting images? My personal take is this. If I go on vacation, go on a specific outing, to a specific event and have more than 4-6 pictures that I want to post I create a thread. Normally in that thread I only insert 1-2 images into the post and leave the rest as attachments. And I have been known to cross post some but I think I've kept it to only one (maybe two on rare occasion) threads and in thos cases it's most often a gear showcase thread.
I'm sure there's more, but I'll have to go back a reread parts of the thread.

If I have suggestions about thread relocations should I report them here, or use the "report" button that goes to moderators?

Suggestions for thread relocations from Other genres to Color. (Because most photographs are color photographs I don't see the case for this forum but assuming we don't want to stir the fire soon again...)

Unsticky this announcement that has been rendered obsolete:
Then these threads under Other genres could go better under Scenic:
Finally I have a suggestion for renaming the description for "Leica" forum:
"Inventors of the small frame (today known as the "full frame") photography, and autofocus." ;)

...Finally I have a suggestion for renaming the description for "Leica" forum:
"Inventors of the small frame (today known as the "full frame") photography, and autofocus." ;)

But we can't do that, since neither is true... :D

My credentials? I have used Leica for 30 years. I have a dog called Oscar and a cat called Barnack, as well as a much loved IID. I have in the past used M, R and LTM extensively.

Both of the above are urban myths. Autofocus was, IIRC, invented by a chap who worked for Honeywell. 35mm film was 70mm cine film split, and there were a number of cameras that used it before Oscar Barnack came up with the Ur-Leica (he did so, it is said, because he was tired of carrying the weight of a heavy camera when out hiking). 35mm was originally referred to as "miniature", by the way. Full frame is a misnomer; half-frame (eg Olympus PEN) made sense, since it took twice the number of frames on 35mm film, but full-frame does not make sense in terms of digital cameras; An APS-C (don't get me started on the history of the APS name...) camera with an APS-C lens designed specifically for use with the format is by definition "full frame" - see what I mean?

Advice from an old timer.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both of the above are urban myths.
I kind of knew that Barnack didn't exactly invent 35mm film frame. But it's a common myth and if people wanted quirkiness, then there it is.

Leica did file the patents on phase detection focus and sold them to Minolta if I understood it correctly.

I agree that "full frame" is stupid term, that it somehow was the maximum size a photo sensor could be.

If I miss anybody's items or concerns, feel free to tag me. I'm not purposely not responding to every post or item, just trying to keep up while doing the Day Job.

M4/3 doesn't have a showcase sub forum, is that because Amin also had the m4/3 forum and it wasn't merged here? I'm not 100% sure we need one, but since that's what I mainly shoot it's something I've noticed.
{Takes a look.... } Ummm.... I'm not sure. That might be on me, I think at one time the M4/3 stuff may have been under the "Alternative" grouping and I moved it out but missed adding a corresponding 'Showcase' child forum. On the To Do list.
The Fuji showcase sub forum could used some clean up if it's really suppose to be just lens sample images. There are duplicates, the 18-55 f/2.8-4 and 50-140 f/2.8 each have 2 showcase threads in the first 3 pages. There are discussion threads and genres threads that should be in the main Fuji forum or in one of the other gallery forums. In Fuji's case (and others if applicable) I would be tempted to leave the simulation showcases.
Others can chime in with their feelings but I think the 'showcase' forums started out with the intent of highlighting a particular gear item, such as examples of a particular lens combination or a particular feature, but they ended up being used for that purpose and as a general catch-all for images taken with a particular brand. Likely several of the 'Showcase' threads could be closed with new threads/posts being watched so that the general type posts are posted instead to the Gallery forums. A thread of "Here's some tiki idol shots I took with a Canon" should be over in the Gallery forums while a more specific thread of "Here's some sample images I took with the Canon EFS 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS II lens with dark wood grain subjects" would be better suited for the Showcase forums. Maybe "Showcase" isn't the best word for them? As the Showcase threads go back several years and from several different source original sites it can't be a hard-rule and enforced Draconian style but more a gentle push that new threads/posts should be considered for the Gallery forums first instead of the Showcase & Gear forums.
Is Fuji the only system that seems to be generating the news and rumors threads or is that just my perception?
I think it's just a matter of popularity; the Fuji lines have a lot of fans at the moment.

If I have suggestions about thread relocations should I report them here, or use the "report" button that goes to moderators?
I'll go back and re-read the list later today but you can either post them here or use the "report" button. If I don't catch it then one of the other mods will. You can also start a new thread in the 'feedback' forum so that it doesn't get lost in a big thread like this.

Last edited:
....I think it's just a matter of popularity; the Fuji lines have a lot of fans at the moment.....
I think it's more a matter of popularity "here" and that many of the members here are also members of MU-43, NikonCafe, TalkeMount, etc; while the Fuji and Leica sites were merged into here.

My point though is more I wouldn't want the news and rumor threads to get lost in in the Chat area or just lumped in the general brand forums. But I'm also not sure what the best option might be either. :hmmm:

Just one more wish for clarity:
I tried to figure out the difference between the "stroll" thread and the "random picture" thread as I never can really decide in which of the two to put my post. Many of the random pics could show up in stroll as well, because they where taken while outside on a stroll. Even looking at the introductory remarks at the start of the threads didn't bring me more clarity. Whereas this clarity is absolutely there between B&W and high contrast B&W for example.

Last edited:
Eliminate Herman's Genres dedicated forum - As mentioned, Herman has not been an active member for quite some time and the threads can be moved into their more subject specific counterparts.
I've moved a couple of the most obvious candidates from "Other Genres" to "Color" (single colour or general colour themed threads), leaving redirects in the "Other Genres" section; I think that's a continuation of what Kevin had started earlier. If anything really offensive turns up, it can certainly be addressed - but I don't see any pressing matters.

There are some lesser irritations, though. For instance, I think I've found something like half a dozen threads called "Decay" - though it'd be a bit tricky to merge them since some of them have turned into discussion threads ... so, things like that need attention and care.

M.

Back