Fuji Photo Ninja for X-Trans

Thinking of usuing Photo Nionja

John,
Are you still liking Photo Ninja as much as you seemed to a few months back? I need to commit to a workflow for my X-Trans files and it looks like it has wide acceptance among Fujifilm owners.

Dan
Portland, Oregon

For my part , I still like using it and the latest beta version handles the XTrans highlights better.

However , it is very expensive and I've found that I can achieve similar results with the latest versions of Lightroom 5.
Perhaps the argument to purchase isn't as strong now. Would I buy again..maybe not.

Don't forget to look at Capture One and Iridient ( if you're a Mac user )

Am I missing something? Photo Ninja is the same price as LR and about $170 cheaper than Capture One. And SilkyPix is about $250 and even the upgrade is more than buying Photo Ninja. And Iridient seems to be the cheapest of the bunch. I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just confused as to why you said it is very expensive when you have LR5 and they are the same price. I agree if you mean since you have LR5 you don't need another RAW processor and there isn't that big of a difference in results and then said to look at Capture One which I would say is very expensive where LR and Photo Ninja seem to be the average price for Raw Processors.

For me I had to add 20% tax to the PhotoNinja price ( $154.80) whereas both Lightroom and Capture One were just Upgrades at half the cost.

Ouch, that's a hefty tax. How do you say Capture One compares to LR? Seems a pretty steep price compared to LR if you are starting new.

PhotoNinja is rocking it for me and the T1 right now. Until Lightroom updates all the way and shows me it can make it happen I'm sticking with PN.

Download trials of both and see for yourself.
You can email the makers of PN for a temporary code.

PN is still better at extracting detail and stops foliage looking mushy.
It's also very good at Black and White and at deliberately softening portraits by pulling the detail slider to the left.

I have been looking at some images shot with an X Pro1 in Photo Ninja, ACR-RC (CC) and Irident.
I just don't see any significant difference between the three. These are images shot in Panama of jungle foliage from a small boat on the Gatun Lake.

Is there a significant difference in the XE2, XT1 sensor compared to the XP1?

I have been looking at some images shot with an X Pro1 in Photo Ninja, ACR-RC (CC) and Irident.
I just don't see any significant difference between the three. These are images shot in Panama of jungle foliage from a small boat on the Gatun Lake.

Is there a significant difference in the XE2, XT1 sensor compared to the XP1?

It depends on countless factors, including individual taste.

It's wrong to even answer questions wrt the "best" camera, lens, software, settings etc.
It's a futile exercise, as there will always be folks who will see things differently. There will never be agreement. People see different things looking at the same image.

My RAW converter comparison on FR proved that users can't even agree on which converter produces the best result with a single demo image. Later, a second, different demo image resulted in a different converter ranking, again.

I've tried C1, LR, Aperture, PhotoNinja, Photoshop and Sliky ... For what I shoot and how I shoot none of them pops up with a huge #1 as the absolute best. For me, none of those programs delivers a final image which is significantly better or different than another. For me, they pretty much all do about the same. If you need a computer to see the difference then there isn't any difference. I use Aperture for RAW conversion and global manipulation because I like the UI. I use PS for area specific dodging/burning and cropping, just because I like those tools in PS.

Back