Photo of a photographer taking a photo

Z50_2640.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was a tad late there, to be honest - but it's quite rare to see someone doing the same thing as I (being out taking images during the day), soI had to snatch an image. Besides, the two mules are really something (in these parts) ...

M.

Went for a short urban stroll with two photographer friends of mine. Coincidentally, all three of us were using Olympuses (or is it Olympii?).

First, Photographer A (Gerry), in the space where railroad tracks run between buildings, focusing intently---

EM1_Jan20_22_Gerry_photographing.jpg

Then Photographer B (Bob) getting a wiiiide angle perspective on an old (and out-of-frame) building---

EM1_Jan20_22_photographer(silver.efex).jpg

And lastly, Photographer A again, looking for the right perspective, further down the same railroad tracks---

EM1_Jan20_22_Gerry@RR_Tracks.jpg

The 18-55mm is a very sharp lens. I stand by it. A real steal.....
They're not created equal; I did quite like the latest 18-55mm AF-P VR, though ... Other, older designs weren't as convincing in my experience, but as always, YMMV. To each their own - if you like a certain lens, any lens, that's absolutely fine by me.

However, using one of those on a D750 (a camera I own, btw.) is still pretty counter-intuitive - neither is the camera's APS-C resolution and performance that spectacular, nor is the lens able to tab into the potential of the camera in any meaningful way. I don't begrudge anyone for using the combo, mind - he might just not be able to afford a different lens at the moment or have kept it from a previous kit. But I think in that case he might have been better served with a more affordable APS-C body (he could have gone for a D7500, a very compelling body in its own right) and got either the very same lens or a different, maybe more versatile and/or better one for the same kind of total cost (or less). The difference in body prices would easily have got him, to name just one example, a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Contemporary - and that lens clearly outguns the latest and best Nikon kit zoom. Or he might have gone for the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G - a great lens I also used to own alongside the D90 and later the D5500 and which can be had for pretty little money these days, used in very good condition. Just saying ...

What's more, if he bought the lens specifically for the camera, paying only a little bit more would have got him a 50mm f/1.8G, a lens which is quite a solid performer on the D750 (I loved that combo when I still had the lens; it only got moved on when I bought into Nikon Z - sometimes, I still miss it). Or, even cheaper, a 50mm f/1.8D - by now, an almost classic formula with good potential. I have held on to its predecessor (because it fits my old film AF bodies) and find the results quite pleasing (if slightly flawed by today's standards).

GAS can be a very, very bad advisor ... I should know ...

However, all this thinking about the case has given me an idea - I have a second copy of the old, but nice 28-105mm zoom, a lens I don't use because the other copy is in somewhat better shape. Nothing major wrong with the lens, just a bit worn. I'll let him have it. For free.

M.

Back