Photo of a photographer taking a photo

T4009224.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I'm eating lunch at my computer today, watching the beach cams for any action down there when I notice a guy with a tripod setting up to shoot down the pier. I think of this thread and JUMP into action grabbing my always at the ready trusty Canon SD1000 which is sitting on my desk. Well, actually there are 5 of them sitting on my desk, but this one is closest.
I take a shot:
IMG_0585.JPG

Checking the file it looks too far away, so, I take another shot:
IMG_0586.JPG

Then I notice he heads away from the pier towards the street and disappears. BUT then he all of a sudden comes back into view and is heading down the pier!
I quick switch to another camera view and THERE he is:
IMG_0587.JPG

Carrying his tripod and leaning into the wind as he goes as it is blowing at 36mph today down there.
I again switch to another camera view as he goes on down the pier:
IMG_0588.JPG

I'll keep my eyes open to see if he comes back.

He finally did come back off the pier. I almost missed him since he'd collapsed his tripod. I recognized the blue jacket and dslr he was carrying.
IMG_0589.JPG

A little further down the pier towards land.
IMG_0590.JPG

He finally got to the end and was setting up to take some shots next to the light pole:
IMG_0591.JPG

Didn't mean to keep you all in suspense. I didn't know anyone was actually looking.

I'm guessing this is a Canon 400mm F2.8 prime. You see pictures of these types of lenses and they look, you know, big....see them "in the flesh" close up and they're even bigger than what you'd imagined. He obviously is under a certain pressure to get a shot which can be published within the hour. But I'm thinking if I owned that lens as someone who's not professional, I'd have to be insane or start weightlifting.
Photographer.jpg

I'm guessing this is a Canon 400mm F2.8 prime. You see pictures of these types of lenses and they look, you know, big....see them "in the flesh" close up and they're even bigger than what you'd imagined. He obviously is under a certain pressure to get a shot which can be published within the hour. But I'm thinking if I owned that lens as someone who's not professional, I'd have to be insane or start weightlifting.
View attachment 347141
Years ago I shot high school football with a Canon 300mm 2.8 IS. You’re spot on about being insane or needing to lift weights to use these things.

Back