Photo of a photographer taking a photo

P7156811.jpg

@rayvonn Tim, I think you should send this to Chris Gambat (him of the Phoblographer) who is constantly complaining about Nikon's AF ... great catch!

M.
Thanks Matt, I did make sure to update the camera's software, maybe the AF wasn't so good before that? Maybe Chris lets the camera decide what to focus on? (I never do that, always lock on to the subject first). Perhaps the AF isn't as lightening fast as other brand new models at the minute? Either way, as someone who's attuned to using manual focus on another camera most days, I find that the AF is rapid. I do personally like the image but am always reluctant to take much credit for it as I know that it's mostly the advanced computer inside the camera as much as me that enables these type of shots. Good fun though!

Thanks Matt, I did make sure to update the camera's software, maybe the AF wasn't so good before that? Maybe Chris lets the camera decide what to focus on? (I never do that, always lock on to the subject first). Perhaps the AF isn't as lightening fast as other brand new models at the minute? Either way, as someone who's attuned to using manual focus on another camera most days, I find that the AF is rapid. I do personally like the image but am always reluctant to take much credit for it as I know that it's mostly the advanced computer inside the camera as much as me that enables these type of shots. Good fun though!
Well, the Phoblographer crew claim that they even update their reviews on every new firmware update, so it shouldn't be that - it might be the comparison thing, that's actually probable, and I have no reason to doubt their expertise in that regard (much). But I was getting at the fact that it's *obviously* not a problem to nail focus if you know what you're doing (and make informed choices on what settings to use, as you say - I'd rather miss a shot or three than trust the camera to decide what I want to be in focus!). I guess what I'm saying is that the complaints are really fringe issues, nothing relevant. Anyhow, let's enjoy the craft while camera makers still leave us the freedom to actually apply our abilities ... (not going to start ranting about current developments right now - but I could!).

M.

Well, the Phoblographer crew claim that they even update their reviews on every new firmware update, so it shouldn't be that - it might be the comparison thing, that's actually probable, and I have no reason to doubt their expertise in that regard (much). But I was getting at the fact that it's *obviously* not a problem to nail focus if you know what you're doing (and make informed choices on what settings to use, as you say - I'd rather miss a shot or three than trust the camera to decide what I want to be in focus!). I guess what I'm saying is that the complaints are really fringe issues, nothing relevant. Anyhow, let's enjoy the craft while camera makers still leave us the freedom to actually apply our abilities ... (not going to start ranting about current developments right now - but I could!).

M.
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail etc etc

Back