Photographic New Year's Resolutions for 2023...

Brian

Product of the Fifties
Please share any "resolution" you make for 2023.

Mine-

Mirrorless. I bought a Nikon Z5. I'm learning to use Focus Peaking. The M9 and M Monochrom are likely to be my last new Rangefinder cameras. I've shot Rangefinders since 1969.

Use "ART" in place of Lightroom, look at the other alternatives. Also try these on a Linux system. I'm off to a good start, setup this new computer that can handle it better than my older I7 Laptop. I've used Lightroom since Version 3.6 in 2011. Since Adobe will not sell a perpetual use license, I'm done with it. LR 6.1 does not support the Z5.

Take more Pictures. 2022 was a rut.

I have not done one of these since New Year's 2012.

L1025971.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
L1025992.jpg
L1025974.jpg

And when the Light is Nice and Weather Permits, Grab the camera and take some Picts.
Happy New Year, Everyone.
(The M9, This morning, and ART processing installed yesterday)

And to add one more resolution - sometimes stop down the aperture. But not for these...

Last edited:
Photographically, I expect to continue on the same path as last year. I take my M 240 & a selection of lenses (35/1.7, 50/2, 50/2.8, 90/4 & 50/1.4) with me every day and when I have time for explicit photo treks, I'll take the film cameras. I tried to hold down on buying lenses last year so that the ones I got were really good choices for me - the Elmar 50/2.8 & the Canon 50/1.4. If I get any this year, it'll probably be if I can thread the needle of decent condition vs price for either a Summar 50/2 or Summitar 50/2.

So, what's the resolution in this? Simple:

Enjoy the light and make my idea of art.

Use "ART" in place of Lightroom, look at the other alternatives. Also try these on a Linux system. I'm off to a good start, setup this new computer that can handle it better than my older I7 Laptop. I've used Lightroom since Version 3.6 in 2011. Since Adobe will not sell a perpetual use license, I'm done with it. LR 6.1 does not support the Z5.

Like you, Brian, I'm unwilling to pay for Lightroom licenses, and I've been more than pleased with the capabilities of LR 6.14 which I've been using for years - with the exception that it doesn't (initially) support some of my 'newer' cameras (my GX9 and my E-M5.3). My solution has been the Adobe DNG converter, which isn't as irritating as it sounds (it only adds one step to my rather random 'workflow').

I dont really do New Years resolutions, other than "No Gym January", which is somewhat of a moot point as I prefer to do my exercising at home or outdoors, anyhow. I should probably either cancel my gym membership or start using it, but not before February.

What I fancy doing photography-wise in 2023 are:
  • Find some direction in my photography
  • Trim the gear hoard, somewhat
  • If I find the possibility, attend a workshop
  • Start learning OCF
  • Start learning Macro
  • Actually start on the digitalising project of the family photo archive
In 2022, I stated I would practice more, which I did. The take was 1/3 more than 2021, for a total of 7500 shots. I have never been a high volume shooter, as such and my motives tend not to be of the sort that rate high volumes either. Since I got back into photography in 2016, the yearly take has averaged about 4000 shots.

I tend to be somewhat of an opportunist when it comes to making photos, so I seldom go out on dedicated photowalks/trips, but "grab" what I can get in my day to day life, hence my somewhat obsession for smaller/lighter/unobtrusive gear. The realisation of that fact, ties in with the first bullet point in my list.

I'm done as far as hardware goes. I "traded" my X100s for a XF16-80 right before Christmas. That get's me back to 3 cameras (one fixed lens and two interchangeable) , and 6 lenses. A mere trifle compared to some, but plenty for me.

This year is the big R (retirement) for me, so lot's of things in flux. We're building a house in Williamsburg, hopefully to be done by end of summer. LOML and I spent New Years in Williamsburg, and there are a plethora of photographic opportunities.

My photo walks have very much tailed off here of late. I live in Fairfax City, which is very photogenic, but the quantity of opportunities is limited. It became very clear after we moved here, that I would be taking pictures of the same things over and over again if I let myself.

We moved here in '21 in preparation of buying a house in Williamsburg to retire to. Unable to buy what we wanted, the opportunity to build a house presented itself, so we jumped. That was all in the direction of goodness, but the schedule definitely got pushed out.

So this year, we have a number of bucket list items to check off before we bug out. Most of those have extensive photo opportunities so that will be the goal at least for now.

Happy New Year!

My goal is to do a self-portrait each week this year, to get better with portrait lighting and creative thinking aroud a subject. I am ralistic enough to accept about 50-ish pics by year end, life happens. I do not have a demad of quality, just progression. That I am learing, experimenting and doing. That is the important part.

Back