photography can seriously damage your health

well ... didn't see the surgeon but the operative wound is healiing well, and the "videodrome" mitt has come off to be replaced by a special splint. this means I have opposable digits once more! But no lifting anything muhc heavier than a fork (or a DP2)

7583433052_6da15a2011_b.jpg

new splint by _loupe, on Flickr

Now for several weeks of very gentle exercising and "hand therapy". I certainly can't handle the Bessa, and even the E-P2 is out of the question for a while. The Sigma and my dear old Ixus 750 (SD550 to the atlantic colonials) however are light/small enough to hold left-handed/fire right handed.

for those of a non-squeamish disposition will find further snaps of my naked hand on my Flickr 'stream ...

well ... didn't see the surgeon but the operative wound is healiing well, and the "videodrome" mitt has come off to be replaced by a special splint. this means I have opposable digits once more! But no lifting anything muhc heavier than a fork (or a DP2)

7583433052_6da15a2011_b.jpg

new splint by _loupe, on Flickr

Now for several weeks of very gentle exercising and "hand therapy". I certainly can't handle the Bessa, and even the E-P2 is out of the question for a while. The Sigma and my dear old Ixus 750 (SD550 to the atlantic colonials) however are light/small enough to hold left-handed/fire right handed.

for those of a non-squeamish disposition will find further snaps of my naked hand on my Flickr 'stream ...

Glad you are on the mend, Paul...

I made the mistake of looking through flickr while I was having lunch.....some serious Frankenstein stitches there. Looks like you're healing well. Time and exercise should take care of the rest.

And I thought I could be a bit of a muppet, well actually I can, but you trump me here Paul! It sounds painful and I'm sure it was. Hopefully you will heal quickly and be back in fine form again with your camera in hand. Fingers crossed for you!

well you'll have to cross yours, I can't cross mine ...

the curious thing is that I have suffered no more than mild discomfort from either the original accident or post-operatively.

the most painful things were having the local anaesthesia and the median nerve block for the op itself, both of which were pretty sharp pains (for that read "made me grit my teeth and do a lot of breath-holding until the surgeon insisted I started again") but very brief ones really

hmm loading a tlr one handed might be a challenge!
anyhoo, after a morning spent chasing toast round a plate trying to spread it wih peanut butter using only my left hand (amusing for about two minutes, then gets old ...), i thought i'd acquiesce to luke's request for a picture ...

7557760574_3e3d8d05e7_c.jpg

cast by _loupe, on Flickr​

I see tlr is possible but also-- resting is good too. And for the toast, put it on a clean dry dish towel, it won't slide on the plate, or a paper towel. =)

Wow Paul, you've really done a number on yourself mate. Those stitches are a very effective way of closing the wound, they ensure the best seal of the actual wound although you'll get a beast of a scar. That's the ones I use for cows!

Do not push the healing - time takes time. Lots of rest for that hand, get creative and find ways around problems. You'll be back shooting again soon enough, until then, lots of processing and cataloging!

Wishing you a full and timeous recovery

another trip on the bus to the physio today and a modified splint ... plus a washed hand, which was nice because mine was getting pretty whiffy I can tell you ... hmm is that too much info? ...

Anyway, she didn't tell me off, in fact everything appear to be healing really well but ... apparently this is the critical period for proper recovery by a repaired tendon, and it's at it's most vulnerable (is that the same as cows Heather?) ... so I really can't drive for weeks, and I shouldn't lift anything much heavier than a spoon, so I'm sticking to the IXUS and DP2s ... still, the new splint is a bit less 1950s than the previous one ...

We don't fix cow's tendons. We eat the cow :) Those sutures I use for caesarian wounds.

Hope the splint's not too itchy, I believe sticking a knitting needle in it to scratch is frowned upon.

She took pity on me and remade it with Velcro straps so that I can take it off and have a wash ... apparently, the surgeons don't like the physios doing this and prefer them to stick to taping you up tightly, mostly because people seem to have a habit of removing the splint so they can tile the bathroom or something equally dim, thus causing the tendon to rupture again and wrecking their chances of recovering good movement ... but she thought I seemed "sensible" ... hmm if only she knew the ugly truth ...

Back