Photography? ......I am just a bit meh!

Well, I have kept meaning to contribute to this thread, but have really needed the time to sit down and marshal my thoughts.

Firstly, photography is just a thing. It is something you do. It doesn't define you. If you stop doing it, it will continue, and so will you. If you want to take it up again it will still be there. Personally I enjoy it because it is totally different from what I do for a living. At one point a few years ago I considered going pro but realised that photography was my outlet, my escape and my channel for self-expression along with my writing. I realised that if I combined the two I would kill that which made it enjoyable for me..............................

Bill. Thank you for taking the time to think about and to contribute to this thread. I have read it three or four times and it really resonates with me. I have an idea for a different direction at present, to refresh myself, to keep active, to keep my brain ticking over.......to keep my rear end away from the sofa; but without feeling compelled. It involves photography, but in a different way and very ad hoc.

Watch this space. It may be marvellous or it may be ordure! Time and practise will tell.

Thanks once again for your very thoughtful piece.

Pete I can resonate with you - I have moderate PD and OCD and after SiJ this year I've shot very little. After early retirement with major depression in 2000 I did reinvent my persona as a photographer. I've had too many cameras to mention (must be over 25) and almost every software package known to mankind. With each new purchase I wasn't happy until I had the full gamut of accessories (lenses, flash, filters, grip, case and so on). Sadly I can't point to any gear that made me more of a photographer. :026:

Last year I made the decision to concentrate on fixed lens cameras (less steep upgrade path) and I've rediscovered that photography does not and never did define me. I too am more relaxed about it all now and am happy as an 'event recorder' and not a camera geek and a software slave.

I am glad you feel liberated and as others have remarked I enjoy and admire your photo output. Enjoy your rich travel agenda and record it as you see fit.

1st- God bless as you travel down the Parkinson's Road. Both my Father and Grandfather had this and it is challenging. Seems like you are dealing well and trying to keep yourself active.

2- I know the feeling of Photography blah. I have shot everything of interest around my house, around my work and in between. Looking for new and exciting is a challenge. I a still passionate about taking pictures, I just am location weary.

1st- God bless as you travel down the Parkinson's Road. Both my Father and Grandfather had this and it is challenging. Seems like you are dealing well and trying to keep yourself active.

2- I know the feeling of Photography blah. I have shot everything of interest around my house, around my work and in between. Looking for new and exciting is a challenge. I a still passionate about taking pictures, I just am location weary.

what a fantastic phrase........."Passionate about photography but location weary"! Nail, Head......hit!

Pete I can resonate with you - I have moderate PD and OCD and after SiJ this year I've shot very little. After early retirement with major depression in 2000 I did reinvent my persona as a photographer. I've had too many cameras to mention (must be over 25) and almost every software package known to mankind. With each new purchase I wasn't happy until I had the full gamut of accessories (lenses, flash, filters, grip, case and so on). Sadly I can't point to any gear that made me more of a photographer. :026:

Last year I made the decision to concentrate on fixed lens cameras (less steep upgrade path) and I've rediscovered that photography does not and never did define me. I too am more relaxed about it all now and am happy as an 'event recorder' and not a camera geek and a software slave.

I am glad you feel liberated and as others have remarked I enjoy and admire your photo output. Enjoy your rich travel agenda and record it as you see fit.

Hi Bill, I remember we touched on this....what.......last year? last decade? Can't remember as tempus does indeed fugit. Coming off the agonist style of drug has turned my life around....literally! I feel so much more .....more.......alive! I think we have both worn the same T shirt and washed it many times over :0)

I'm in a bit of a photographic lull right now too. The important thing is that you feel better without the old meds. Obsession is exhausting, and if, on top of that, your sleep is poor, life is rough. If photography has something to give you, you'll discover it. Peace is more important than pictures.

Good luck.

Firstly, so glad that you are doing better Pete. The whole sick thing, whatever variant we might have, stinks. It can sap the body of energy or sometimes enervate it to the point of madness. If feeling better means less photos or none at all, but you are enjoying life...and it sounds like you are, spectacular!

And yeah, this. Regardless, I go out, walk, take photos of things, let them sit on my harddrive (have to clean that up) because whenever you're able to get out, it's always better than being stuck in.

Back