Photokina 2010

Did Photokina make your dreams come true?

Tell us, your YES it did and NO it did not.

I start.

YES: The new Fujifilm X100 ! What a beauty.:)

NO: Where's the Sony 3D camera? No PEN-3. No weathersealed MFT camera.
G2 and GH2 shoot "poor" 3D still images, they don't support 3D video shooting.:confused:

Maybe I must be patience and wait what comes to table next days.

Did Photokina make my dreams come true?

YES: The Fuji X100 is stunning and I'd sell my mother for one!

NO: No GF2 and everything else didn't interest me except maybe he Samsung NX100 but even that only looks OK. The Leica D-Lux 5 looks the same as the D-lux 4 but still an awesome camera...but....£300 more than the Lumix LX5....madness!

Yesss - very excited re the Fuji X100 and I will sell Andy or his alter ego Ghosthunter for one!:D

No - was hoping for something extra special in the smaller compact range with a nice zoom...but there's probably something out there that would be just fine already.

Yesss - very excited re the Fuji X100 and I will sell Andy or his alter ego Ghosthunter for one!:D

I now know my worth :D but i must say i'm not as good looking as that X100!!;)

No - was hoping for something extra special in the smaller compact range with a nice zoom...but there's probably something out there that would be just fine already.

and that would be..................

My summary of photokina 2010 is: Just more of the same.

Me too. When I was selling my DSLR gear I had my Canon 24-105mm f4 L lens sitting nest to my S90 and it just looked SO HUGE! Then you look at image examples from the GF1 and s90 and wonder why anyone would bother with all that stuff unless they are pro's.

I don't know German, but with the help of Google-translate and some common sense, here you are "Herman's" article translated:

Fujifilm X100: luxury digicam already tried

Fujifilm X100: With hybrid viewfinder, which combines the optical and electronic presentation. Fujifilm began with a real surprise in the Photokina. The Japanese manufacturer announced the development of the luxury-X100 camera. While many competitors reported news and DSLR system camera range, Fujifilm developed the more compact camera. The X100 has an image sensor in APS-C format - just like many DSLRs - with a resolution of 12.3 megapixels. According to Fujifilm special effort was placed on the sensor design, with an optimized arrangement of the microlenses to be particularly sensitive to light and therefore guarantee low-noise photos.
The image processing is made by the in-house developed EXR processor. Fujifilm proudly points to the new hybrid optical viewfinder, which will combine the precision of an optical viewfinder with a convenient electronic one. Furthermore, the X100 offers a 2.8-inch monitor with high resolution of 1.44 million RGB pixels.
The case of the X100 is made of a magnesium alloy. Many manual controls, buttons and wheels allow quick access to a variety of manual settings. Films are recorded in 720p resolution.

First practice impressions
We could just try the X100 at Photokina, and were very impressed by the camera. In particular, the Fujifilm's highly acclaimed hybrid viewfinder is quite remarkable. The camera image is shown here either visually or with additional digital info or is purely electronic (EVF). When using the Electronic Viewfinder the entire field of view is presented, at 1.44 megapixels. In this mode depth of field, exposure and white balance can be directly and precisely checked from the display. This function was present in the specimen shown at the exibition, but was not yet fully integrated. Switching between the two modes is easy using the red and silver switch on the front of the camera.

The Fujifilm X100 will be available in early 2011. Fujifilm originally did not provide any information at Photokina about the camera price. Anyway the X100 will probably cost around 1000 €. The luxury camera Leica X1 - also equipped with an APS-C sensor - costs around € 1550.

My personal comment to all the above regarding this camera is: what a pity it is a fixed lens !!! Just imagine it with a small 28-60 (equiv.) zoom-objective ... Even without one already available, the X100 would be A LOT more intriguing than it already is if only one might buy it and wait for the development of further lenses ....
I would bet, though, that Fuji is already working on something like that .... Developing such a magnificent viewfinder must have been even more complicated than designing inter-changeable optics .... So maybe what actually will hit the market by next March will be an even better X100.... What do YOU think?
Marcus

My personal comment to all the above regarding this camera is: what a pity it is a fixed lens !!! Just imagine it with a small 28-60 zoom-objective ... Even without one already available, the X100 would be A LOT more intriguing than it already is if only one might buy it and wait for the development of further lenses ....
I would bet, though, that Fuji is already working on something like that .... Developing such a magnificent viewfinder must have been even more complicated than designing inter-changeable optics .... So maybe what actually will hit the market by next March will be an even better X100.... What do YOU think?
Marcus
I really don't think they will introduce an interchangeable lens system when released in March. That may well be the X200 a year or so later.

The Lumix GF2 is going to be THE camera to look out for I think. The lens system is already in place and if Panasonic can get a more retro design with built in EVF from the G2 then it will sell by the lorry load. Olympus and Fuji have the Retro feel with the E-P1 & 2 and the X100 but I doubt the Panasonic GF2 will look as cool. We can live in hope!

Back