Film Photos With My Other Pen

Penfan2010

All-Pro
Name
Ed
Took along my Pen F on a week and a half trip with its digital descendant, my E-P2, plus the X100. It was great to have 3 compact but very capable cameras along. The Pen F had the Zuiko 25mm F4, fairly slow but very sharp. I only used 2 rolls of film, but that still meant close to 100 images on this half frame 35mm. I used the Pen F when it was raining or when my digital cameras had no more juice left in their batteries (a particular issue since I only had one socket adapter for my chargers). The only real downside of the Pen is its very, very noisy shutter. Thankfully I had the X100 for times when I needed to be more unobtrusive.

I thoroughly enjoyed using the F, despite its limitations; there is still such strong "muscle memory" and "eye memory" in me for shooting through an SLR viewfinder and manually focusing on a proper ground glass screen. It still feels the most intuitive to me. I guess that's because I've spent many, many more years shooting with compact film SLRs than I have shooting digital.

All ISO 400 CVS Pharmacy own label film, home processed using Tetanol C-41 kit. Still working out the kinks in home processing and scanning, so lots of dust marks, etc.

img181_copy_Snapseed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

img197_Snapseed.jpg

img218_copy_Snapseed.jpg

img219_Snapseed.jpg

img221_Snapseed.jpg

img208_Snapseed.jpg

img196_copy_Snapseed.jpg

img191_Snapseed.jpg

img181_Snapseed.jpg

Love the style of shooting, and it works so well on film. How do you find the viewfinder on yours? I have a black FT (functional, but I don't shoot with it) and the viewfinder is very cloudy.

Love the style of shooting, and it works so well on film. How do you find the viewfinder on yours? I have a black FT (functional, but I don't shoot with it) and the viewfinder is very cloudy.

Thanks, Nic. The viewfinder of my F is okay, especially with my faster lenses. That said, it is quite grainy and dimmer than the viewfinder of my OM1. I've read elsewhere that the mirror of the Pens are notorious for darkening/clouding up over time.

Thanks a lot, Luke. Some of the scanned images had slight PP with Aperture, but generally I attribute the look to cheapo CVS color film and not quite perfect home processing technique (too long in developer, not enough agitation, slightly old chemicals?)! :). The Pen F lenses also tend to give a more muted color palette in overcast light, but it might just be my lenses.

Back