Sony ping pong ball diffuser

davect01

Hall of Famer
I know it sounds funny, but I found this on another forum and it works.

Top view (cell phone shot)

Side view (cell phone shot)

Installed view (cell phone shot)

Automatic mode, regular flash, daylight coming through the window

Automatic mode, diffused flash, daylight coming through the window.

Since taking these I added some velcro to the flash which keeps it in place, and smoothed the rough edges down. I doubt I will leave this on permanently as it does not allow the flash to completely close, gotta find a spot in the bag to put it without crushing it.

davect01

Hall of Famer
dim light shots

So as it got dark I took a couple of dim light shots. Shot in Auto mode so that nothing I did would alter the shot.

This one was fully auto, without the diffuser:

This one was fully auto with the diffuser:

Now that made a difference, wow.

Reactions: BBW

deirdre

Top Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
I often use a piece of paper, but now I'm clearly going to have to eviscerate a ping pong ball in the name of SCIENCE.

Nov 27, 2010
Laurel, MD
very cool, back in the day when I shot weddings I found that the best flash diffuser was a simple coffee filter held in place with a rubber band. Never would have thought about a ping pong ball

davect01

Hall of Famer
if it works

very cool, back in the day when I shot weddings I found that the best flash diffuser was a simple coffee filter held in place with a rubber band. Never would have thought about a ping pong ball
If it works, then great. The great advantage of the ping pong ball is that upon first glance it does not appear homemade. Look closely and you can tell, but at a glance, you would never guess.

djnww

Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
I read about this on dpreview a couple of weeks ago and tried it. Been using it ever since. It works great, although I get some weird stares... LOL.

Cheers,
Dan

djnww

Rookie
Nov 20, 2010
I often use a piece of paper, but now I'm clearly going to have to eviscerate a ping pong ball in the name of SCIENCE.
It's definitely better than a piece of paper. I tried so many methods to find a simple ping pong ball to be perfect.

Latest threads

Top Bottom