pinhole photography discussion (and images)

Yep many of us at mu43 were early investors in the Pinwide when it was a Kickstarter project. I think I was number 45. I recently emailed wandlerlust to see what the pinhole diameter is because I thought I might adapt mine for film use. But no response, they are probably absorbed in their latest project (a 4x5 snapshot camera which looks very kewl indeed)

there's a few shots in my flickr 'stream from E-P2+pinwide. have a look in the Pinhole set.

Been toying with idea of having a tuneable focal length to achieve / improve sharpness - so far I simply fit a card within the rim of the extension tube & calculate focal length - this then requires specific hole diam to give optimum results. I will never be able to accurately determine the size of hole I "drill" , (at best its just educated guesswork) - so if I had the card adjustable within the tube depth maybe I could improve the sharpness to the pinhole diam. Hunted about a bit & it happens that the green cap off a plastic milk carton fits neatly in the tube so ....

Experimenting with different backgrounds in the scanner - this is with alum foil dull side down laid over a neg

those with better scanners would hopefully get superior results

R5_Daffs_1200_2_pic_C_800.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A lot of pinhole design suggest direct to photographic paper - so I statred to look up exposure times for this - approx 4x longer but would depend on film speed in the first place ???

Anyway came across this which I thought interesting - follow through with a look at the galleries is essential
and very worthwhile

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=151

You can rate paper around 3 or 6 ISO.
Have a google around for a character called john Nanian, who does simply marvellous work with all sorts of materials and processes

are we looking at a paper negative here?

If so, coincidentally (though if not, not remotely coincidentally) I have just managed to obtain (after over a year if of prowling eBay and Gumtree through the dark watches of the night) a pair of 10x8 darkslides at not too huge a price, and as soon as they arrive I'll start building a pinhole camera with which to use them.

I'll be starting with paper negatives but my plan has always been to produce 10x8 transparencies for display using lightboxes (EL panels, really)

Of course I intend only to make High Concept Images with my Low Concept Camera ... :rofl:

God! I'm so funny ...

Back