M-Mount PIXII rangefinder with M mount: bold move ...

Leica M-Mount cameras and lenses
I've had Two SD cards fail completely and without warning in the last 10 years. Media recovery failed to get the lost images.

SD readers are fairly simple.

CF cards: I've had bent pins using in computers, have straightened some myself. I've had CF slots custom designed for embedded systems to guarantee alignment. $100 per device.

Some internal memory is soldered to the board- can be replaced, but is more difficult. It would be nice to know how the memory is mounted. If it is socketed, would be easy. I've used both socketed solid-state disk-on-chip with PC104 and soldered with embedded computers. My engineer can replace the latter.

You can write David at Pixii and ask.

Memory card longevity. I wondered how and if a capable camera tech could do out of warranty repair. I wrote David Barth at Pixii and here is the clip of his reply.

"Hey, feels like the absence of an sd card keeps breaking the Interwebs...

To your question: memory can be replaced by a module swap, it depends on
the model generation how extensive (and expansive) the swap needs to be.
The first generation was a complete processor board replacement for example.

Out of warranty? Yes. In 10 years? To a certain extent, provided the
industry still manufactures the memory components the processor board wants
."

I hope this helps those who were wondering.

Just a refresh in this thread. The Pixii is working fine except for WiFi. Fearing encroaching senility I verified the password by checking the Linux WiFi connection software. I had it right so that is not the problem. David Barth sent me a command string to run in the Linux terminal and it returned crap. Now WiFi works for everything other than Pixii so they have to polish up their software. Other than this glitch, which does not hinder use, the camera is fine. I have posted photos to the other Pixii thread. The images are good and with the Cooke Amotal they glow. It looks like I will gradually retire the M9 along with the rest of the Leicas and just play with the Pixii and the Sony A7M II, free of the insufferable Leica Übermenschlichkeit. I cannot answer whether the Pixii can or will replace the Leica in general use. I can tell you I am beginning to prefer it to the M9.

Built in storage only makes it a non-starter for me. I'd love a real rangefinder alternative to Leica, which I cannot afford.
Even a fixed lens rangefinder would work for me, as long as it was a real rangefinder.
But this camera is a little too much Pixii dust for me.

There is a fellow over on RFF complaining about his current camera which does not allow USB connections. He has to open it up and pull the card every time he wants to get at his images. You just can't please everyone.

The images are good and with the Cooke Amotal they glow. It looks like I will gradually retire the M9 along with the rest of the Leicas and just play with the Pixii and the Sony A7M II, free of the insufferable Leica Übermenschlichkeit. I cannot answer whether the Pixii can or will replace the Leica in general use. I can tell you I am beginning to prefer it to the M9.
I understand. I've owned two Leica film rangefinder kits, M2 and M3. Beautifully made, but my Olympus OM1 and lenses took better photos, at a fraction of the price ...

There is a fellow over on RFF complaining about his current camera which does not allow USB connections. He has to open it up and pull the card every time he wants to get at his images. You just can't please everyone.
True. And I'd never say a camera is bad because it does not conform to my preferences. Some things don't matter to me, but relying exclusively on built in storage is not something I will negotiate about, the reason I never wanted an iphone. Others don't care and happily use such devices. I am not prescibing what others should do or suggesti g their preferences are somehow wanting. But I know what I like; it's that simple. As others know what they like. I was not complaining about anything, merely stating my personal red lines. There aren't that many, but removeable storage and a viewfinder are non-negotiable for me. And I don't presume, as so many do, that my preferences are somehow superior. They are just my preferences, and I know what they are.

True. And I'd never say a camera is bad because it does not conform to my preferences. Some things don't matter to me, but relying exclusively on built in storage is not something I will negotiate about, the reason I never wanted an iphone. Others don't care and happily use such devices. I am not prescibing what others should do or suggesti g their preferences are somehow wanting. But I know what I like; it's that simple. As others know what they like. I was not complaining about anything, merely stating my personal red lines. There aren't that many, but removeable storage and a viewfinder are non-negotiable for me. And I don't presume, as so many do, that my preferences are somehow superior. They are just my preferences, and I know what they are.
My point is that we have here two people with diametrically opposed opinions. That's all.

Mais. non, mon vieux, le menu est en anglais. Anglais maintenant est le lingua franca. Verdammte Holländisch, sie sprechen vierzehn Sprachen. ;o) Ein Witz, nur ein Witz.

@boojum You like the pixie menu structure?

Ahh, is there a really wonderful menu structure? Pixii has kept it minimal and that helps. I just wish the little rotary selector wheel were better. It is a small thing and I am used to it now. The amount of use that the menu gets makes problems small. Change of focal length and ISO are about it. The at most daily exercise of the USB option to transfer files or the rare switch between Bayer and Mono cap it. WiFi for camera system software update otherwise Bluetooth works.

With just a few options it is simple. This is not a perfect camera. It is a very good camera. It is new so there will be changes. I am happy with it so far. Support from Pixii via David Barth has been excellent.

@boojum Is the pixii worth its money?

To me, yes. I am keeping it.

Added later: My M9 is a lovely camera but it getting old with 30K+ shots. The M8.2 is no spring chicken either. So I am looking at potential repairs if the repairs would be possible. The Pixii OTOH is software and a lens. I am sure that Pixii SAS will want to keep the old ones running down the road when new models appear. What would be mechanical problems in other cameras would be software problems in a Pixii. Other than physical damage from misuse or dropping or similar the worst that can happen is a circuit board replacement. This is what I think will be the future of cameras.

The folks at Pixii have tuned the sensor pretty well. I am still learning the color profiles, there are six IIRC. So I can count on good color and if it changes it will only be for the better. This is a major strong point for me, if it changes it will only be for the better. Think of it as a Linux laptop with a lens.

Last edited:
Here is a link to an album on Flickr with five Pixii photos. The images are better on Flickr than on here. Note the sharpness of the Amotal while still having a glow. The Canon is good, too. I have a bunch with the Amotal on the M9 but about the same time the Pixii arrived the sun vanished. We are having a big car show Saturday, its 50th, and I was keen on going. Weather prediction: rain. Not showers, not intermittent, rain. Too bad as it would have been fun.

I received a notice from my friends in France that they have an upgrade for the Pixii A1571 to the A2572. They sold out of the early January upgrades and I just got in for the late January upgrades after struggling with one bank whose debit card does not process Euros. Three calls to the fraud department before I found someone who could explain the problem. Does not process Euros??!! There is a world outside of Silicon Valley. My local toy bank/credit union choked, too, but a call to their fraud department got the transaction approved and I am in the queue for late January.

It claims a 64 bit processor which means IIRC it processes longer "words" which means the code gets more sophisticated. Which means better images. Currently it will deliver B&W raw images if you wish and the new processor is promised to do it better. The color images are supposedly better, one would assume, and faster with less battery drain. But wait, there's more, . . . OK, jackassing around. All in all it sounds like a great idea, Euros 320 plus Euros 50 for return shipping. Yes, I do agree, they should give it to me because I am such a nice guy but I did not quite make the cutoff. ;o)

If you are interested: Pixii - Digital rangefinder camera

Later, what is done by Pixii in the upgrade:

Service information​

Keep your Pixii Camera up-to-date: upgrade to the new 64-bit SoC.
The upgrade service includes:
  • the new processor board,
  • rangefinder calibration and sensor cleaning
  • 1-year additional warranty.

And here is a link to the new specs: New Pixii Camera Specifications

Last edited:
Did they ever fix you camera? It was still under warranty when it locked up.

They should have given you a discount on the upgrade, as they would have had to repair your camera.

Did they ever fix you camera? It was still under warranty when it locked up.

They should have given you a discount on the upgrade, as they would have had to repair your camera.
The camera works and David at Pixii showed me how to get the upgrade into it. It is up to snuff now so it seems a discount is a moot point. As it produces raw B&W I am going to play with that for a while. It is a good camera and as it is morphing into a cell phone with a Leica lens mount I think it will be even better. The SoC 64 bit chip can address all the memory in the universe and surrounding territories so that will help the little devil get the job done. As it now stands I like it. The color is good, more pastel that the M9 but still good. And while the color and detail is not that of the X2D it is a fine little camera. I must use it more, especially now that I have the latest firmware.

I did get a connection with David (Barth) where he could take over the Pixii from France. He could not get it to play nice with my network as it is a Musk Starlink and a little out of the ordinary, quelle surprise. A few days ago he was kind enough to 1) remember and 2) send a fix in an email. So while the camera still has some teething problems the folks at Pixii are doing all they can to help me and I say "thank you" for that. Bottom line is that it takes good photos. It shines with the '57 KMZ J8 and the Amotal. I should give it a run with the Canon 50mm f/1.8, a good lens recommended by a fellow who knows lenses. He is on this board. ;o)

The framelines seems to be 28,35,40,50.
Do they indicate the length of the lens or the FF equivalence?

Last edited:
Do you know, if the widest horiz. angle of view of the viewfinder is 46° or 65°? I think 65, which would be the angle of an 28mm on ff, or an 16mm in this apsc-camera...

Back