pixlr

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
I'm sure a lot of you will know of this already, but I just found out about Pixlr: it's an online image editor that far surpasses anything else I've found (for instance Aviary, or Photoshop's online Express program). It's basically a clone of Photoshop Elements, with pretty much everything I need except for raw processing. I probably won't be using this at home since I already have the GIMP and Lightroom, but when you're on the road (as I hope to be soon) and you don't have your laptop with you, its pretty freaking brilliant.

just a short pick from the many, many features:
-layers
-levels with histogram
-curves with histogram, black, white and gray droppers and lots of presets
-localized sharpening, blurring, dodging, burning
-graduated filter
-unsharp mask
-the option to save to your computer, facebook, flickr etc
-it saves a full size image, unlike Photoshop Express

all in all, I'm pretty much ecstatic about finding this. It allows me to properly edit the jpegs, regardless of where I am, as long as I have a computer with internet connection, and not feel like I'm showing the people back home half-baked images. Any raw editing I might want to do can be done at home, but at least I wouldn't be totally dependent on the jpeg engine.

I think he meant "and only have your laptop with you"..... or maybe he meant that you don't even really need a computer at all..... just plug a memory card into a public computer at the hotel. No need for any hardware or software.

Oh...okay. Most of the hotels I frequent have one or at most two computers in their business centers, primarily for printing boarding passes and other business traveler needs. If I sat at one doing photo editing, I would become persona non grata very quickly...!

But maybe a public library?

Just opened it up. It sure does bear a remarkable resemblance to the Photoshop product line. I guess Adobe doesn't pursue design imitation the way Apple does.

It seems to work quite well - certainly faster than Elements on my laptop. Thanks for the tip - it may wind up sharing my online editing space with Snapseed.

Chuck, I'm planning a post-graduation backpacking trip into west africa, and I won't bring my laptop because it's simply too heavy and too fragile. I'll probably be popping into an internet cafe every few days to send the people back home an update and to make sure my photos are safe, in case my camera/memory card gets stolen / damaged / lost / whatever.

Chuck, I'm planning a post-graduation backpacking trip into west africa, and I won't bring my laptop because it's simply too heavy and too fragile. I'll probably be popping into an internet cafe every few days to send the people back home an update and to make sure my photos are safe, in case my camera/memory card gets stolen / damaged / lost / whatever.

Sounds like a great trip and an excellent strategy for image preservation, not to mention sharing your experiences - with, your friends here, of course!