Architecture Places of worship

2011-Alleyras_2011-07-18_16-57-26_01032_DxO.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

51105759747_3671903747_h.jpg

Dominican Chapel of St Hyacinth
by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The Heritage Council of WA describes the chapel thus:

‘In 1920 Monsignor John Hawes designed the Chapel for the Irish Dominican Sisters who had come to Yalgoo at his invitation and lived in a timber convent school overlooking the town. Hawes assisted a local builder, H.C. Jenny, with the construction of the chapel. Completed in 1922 the chapel, which had fallen into bad repair, was restored during the 1980s by the Shire of Yalgoo.

The Dominican Convent Chapel has high historic significance for its role in the religious outlook of the local community. The chapel has further significance for its close association with Priest Architect Monsignor John Hawes. The building is a prominent landmark feature of the town and nearby surrounds, commanding an elevated location.’

It is kept behind a chain-link fence now so the options to photograph it were limited when we visited.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 38.

France, Abbaye Sainte-Foy de Conques

p1912820882.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

a pilgrim on the road to Santiago de Compostela, the Camino de Santigo (Way of St. James) to the cathedral, dedicated to Saint James.
hence, the numerous symbols of shells, (coquille saint-jaques anyone :))

One the most famous pilgrim routes when the pilgrimages were a "thing". Funnily enough, again rather popular in these days for people on the road to discover themselves.
Or just as something to accomplish.

So you were in Conques, Bart? Although I traveled a lot all over France, I never managed to reach Conques, and I would love to. Maybe one day, when travelling is normal again.

Yes, we were when we were on vacation in Laguiole in Aveyron.
We made a trip to Conques then.
If you're interested, you can have a look at this selection: Selection from Conques
Interesting and picturesque place to visit when you're in the area.

Back