Architecture Places of worship

An old hindu temple in Khajuraho, North India
DSCF7614-C1-C1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

48487549076_20c4cc3233_o.jpg
Notre-Dame de Tous Graces – Rear view - Le Cheylard l’Evèque - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-09 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

As we had a bit of time to spare in Le Cheylard l’Evèque whilst waiting for our transport, I took the opportunity to make the climb to the Notre-Dame de Tous Graces (Our Lady of All the Graces), a Roman Catholic chapel which is located on a rock that overlooks the village of Le Cheylard l’Evèque and surrounding area. The rock is the reason I believe a bishop of the time purchased the land in 1321.

Given the location, the chapel is quite a beast to photograph, with the rear of the chapel, which is an interesting design, being the best perspective of the whole chapel.

The chapel is dated 1869.

Seeing this thread has had me crawling back through my images to 2010 when I took these images at Rame in the extreme south east of Cornwall on the 14th June that year. The lens used on the GF1 would almost certainly have been a Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Super Wide Heliar.

100614-1000204-1.jpg

100614-1010151.jpg

This simple single roomed chapel on Rame Head was dedicated for services in 1397, so built some time before that, and replaced a late Celtic hermitage. The priest/watchman would have kept a lookout for shipping approaching the port of Plymouth just to the east and indeed Plymouth paid for two watchmen here to warn of the approach of the Spanish Armada in 1588, so there must have been a fire beacon adjacent to the chapel. Now a ruin it was dedicated to St Michael the Archangel.

100614-1000225-1.jpg

Just inland stands the parish church of Rame, first dedicated in 1259 replacing an earlier Norman church. It is dedicated to St Germanus who was in this area in the 5th century. The church has no electricity supply and services held after dark are lit by candle light.

Barrie

This church is unusual because it’s windows are etched and not stained.
That is unusual and is not something I've seen before in a church. The church has it's own Wikipedia entry and, for anybody else curious, the glass is a result of the original structure being bombed in WWII and it being rebuilt in the years after.

... and for the really curious, one of the windows had a bit of controversy associated with it.

48517297861_25cd644d9b_o.jpg

Notre-Dame de Tous Graces – Altar - Le Cheylard l’Evèque - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-10 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

As we had a bit of time to spare in Le Cheylard l’Evèque whilst waiting for our transport, I took the opportunity to make the climb to the Notre-Dame de Tous Graces (Our Lady of All the Graces), a Roman Catholic chapel which is located on a rock that overlooks the village of Le Cheylard l’Evèque and surrounding area. The rock is the reason I believe a bishop of the time purchased the land in 1321.

The chapel is dated 1862.

48548930727_100273b65e_o.jpg

Notre-Dame de Tous Graces - Dated- Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-12 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Day 5 of 12 - Le Cheylard l’Evèque to La Bastide-Puylaurent: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

48592158766_5666e14a68_o.jpg

Station of the Cross - Notre-Dame de Tous Graces - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D5-14 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The path from the Refuge du Moure to the Notre-Dame de Tous Graces is marked by 12 Stations of the Cross. This is one of the stations. They where all hard to photograph so I limited myself to this one as an example.

Day 5 of 12 - Le Cheylard l’Evèque to La Bastide-Puylaurent: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

49201152043_0d87b02b1f_h.jpg

St Blaise (?) Church at Chasserades - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D6-12 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

One of two interior shots of what I believe is the 14th century church at Chasserades. The church very much dominates the hamlet, having being built on a high point in the area.

Day 6 of 12 - La Bastide-Puylaurent to Chasserades: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

49208409812_9e4235be9d_h.jpg

St Blaise (?) Church at Chasserades - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D6-15 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The second of two interior shots of what I believe is the 14th century church at Chasserades. The church very much dominates the hamlet, having been built on a high point in the area.

Day 6 of 12 - La Bastide-Puylaurent to Chasserades: Walking the Chemin de Stevenson (GR 70 Robert Louis Stevenson Trail) in the south of France.

49227214601_80afbb6dff_h.jpg

The Bell Tower - St Blaise (?) Church at Chasserades - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D6-16 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The bell tower of the 14th century church at Chasserades. The church very much dominates the hamlet, having been built on a high point in the hamlet.

49242465707_aab94d5fda_k.jpg

St Blaise Church - Chasserades - Chemin de Stevenson-2018-D6-17 by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

Contextual image of the church at Chasserades. I believe it is St Blaise but was not able to confirm this. The church very much dominates the hamlet, having been built on a high point in the area.

Back