Documentary Planet Garbage

re-note

Hall of Famer
Name
Rolf
Wherever I walk around looking for beautiful images I am confronted with an increasing amount of garbage.
As I cannot turn a blind eye on what my contemporaries throw away in all places I have decided to give the revealing remnants some attention.
P7251377.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
P7251354.jpg
P7251387.jpg

these pics are just some random ideas

I’ve ran into this as well, and it irritates me more than is healthy. I’ve started to look bad when I see someone trashing and acting as citizen police asking whether your mother is following you and picking that up?! But it seems war that can not be won.

I absolutely agree with you, Rolf. Not only the younger generation, it's a majority of all people who throw away whatever waste they have exactly where they are just standing or walking. Considering it the job of local administrations to keep our surroundings clean. Every time I come to Switzerland I see the difference that it makes when kids are educated not to throw away anything anywhere. I've often asked myself how they achieve it and what goes wrong in our country.
P1025310.1.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you, Rolf. Not only the younger generations, it's a majority of all people who throw away whatever waste they have exactly where they are just standing or walking. Considering it the job of local administrations to keep our surroundings clean. Every time I come to Switzerland I see the difference that it makes when kids are educated not to throw away anything anywhere. I've often asked myself how they achieve it and what goes wrong in our country.
View attachment 229777
Same on this side of the ocean. I have driven through small rural communities that were immaculate, where properties are well maintained and the community is clean. They are in the minority, unfortunately. I have visited many other places that almost look like open dumps. I just scratch my head and wonder what happened to personal and civic pride? I have stopped visiting one area where I used to love riding my bike and photographing the streams and beautiful waterfalls. The last few times I was there, the garbage along the trail and the water was awful.

Who remembers that episode of Mad Men where the Drapers just throw away all their debris from a picnic? It seemed shocking but it must be more common again. Our village has a litter pick every so often, and even here it’s disturbingly productive. I have worked out that we are exactly one Big Mac meal’s distance from the nearest McDonalds drive-through.

The tiger mosquito's (Germany's latest dangerous invasive mosquito species) preferred layer, no less ...

This feels almost tongue-in-cheek, comparatively - and it was gone today (two days later):

GR000803.jpg

EDIT: As an afterthought: This "neat" kind of littering always strikes me as incongruent ... I mean, why? But anyway ... I won't get an answer, I know.

M.

Last edited:
The tiger mosquito's (Germany's latest dangerous invasive mosquito species) preferred layer, no less ...

This feels almost tongue-in-cheek, comparatively - and it was gone today (two days later):

View attachment 230281

EDIT: As an afterthought: This "neat" kind of littering always strikes me as incongruent ... I mean, why? But anyway ... I won't get an answer, I know.

M.
You are right, Matt, there is no answer.
I simply suspect it could be the urge to hurt the feelings of more organised persons.

You are right, Matt, there is no answer.
I simply suspect it could be the urge to hurt the feelings of more organised persons.
The only thing I could come up with was that someone intended to come back and finish the tin - or something similarily moronic.

Maybe, though, they don't consider it littering if it's done "orderly" ...

Anyway, in today's reality, you have created endless opportunities for posting shots. Another "mixed emotion" one ("Urban nature" being the other) where "liking" a shot isn't appropriate. Maybe we need a "nail-on-head" emoji ;)

M.

Antwerp

p141202263-6.jpg

Somewhat colourful

p262015158-6.jpg

On a small country road

p1415023540-6.jpg

Near a small nature preserve

2012-Varia_Leica_2012-10-14_14-04-58_01366-Edit-X2.jpg

Cap Gris-Nez, on the beach

p465131908-6.jpg

on the cliff

2012-Varia_Leica_2012-05-01_16-16-22_00497-Edit-X2.jpg

It's everywhere :confused:

Back