Documentary Planet Garbage

P5253643.jpg

In Finland christmas trees are collected same way, just left for the dumpster behind the bin. Those are collected and burned for electricity and warming energy for houses.
Sorry, but burning pine is much filthier than even the filthy brown coal we use here in Victoria ...

Good quality black coal, burned in a post 1950 power station is far cleaner than either!

In some parts of the USA, they burn green softwoods and call it 'renewable energy'.

Our species is incredibly good at justifying the unjustifiable ... :( .

Sorry, but burning pine is much filthier than even the filthy brown coal we use here in Victoria ...

Good quality black coal, burned in a post 1950 power station is far cleaner than either!

In some parts of the USA, they burn green softwoods and call it 'renewable energy'.

Our species is incredibly good at justifying the unjustifiable ... :( .
I honestly don't know what's going to happen to all those christmas trees. But I doubt it'll be objectively useful in the end. Hardly anything we (as a society as well as a species) do is, really.

Seeing sense isn't a major ability of homo sapiens ... and as if we still needed proof for this, the past two years offered plenty.

M.

Well, it's not so straightforward. Where there are bins for biomass the spruces are collected for composting, as chips, to strengthen the compost mass.

When left around the normal bins, less than 50% of total christmas spruces, those are chipped and burned with other burning mass. Very clean burning result and the gases cleaned efficiently in centralised warming works (serving entire city network of centralised heating system for houses).

So very little to argue against. And I agree that science is sometimes omitted when looking for green future. Coal burning can actually be quite clean, but requires modern facilities and investments for cleaning technology.

Back