Documentary Planet Garbage

Web 1500_ZFC_5927 Old fishing boats HBay harbour.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PGX91681.jpg

A dozen or so years ago, people would have been fighting over one of these to convert it in a posh flowerpot on their front porch (or even indoors). Nowadays, old stuff isn't shiny enough anymore, so, this classic mangle got discarded ... If it hadn't been treated so roughly, I'd have been tempted to take it away myself. But I'm not one for posh flowerpots either ...

M.

Disposable nappies, disposed of on a footpath in Hampton. Taken today while SWMBO was having a cortisone injection for hip bursitis.

M115595.JPG

I have always found it staggering that these are sold legally, considering that there has never been a legal means of disposal.

It is illegal to dispose of them in your rubbish (human excreta); illegal to burn them (plastics); and they cannot be recycled (both the above reasons).

So, why are they allowed to be sold at all?

Disposable nappies, disposed of on a footpath in Hampton. Taken today while SWMBO was having a cortisone injection for hip bursitis.

View attachment 391193

I have always found it staggering that these are sold legally, considering that there has never been a legal means of disposal.

It is illegal to dispose of them in your rubbish (human excreta); illegal to burn them (plastics); and they cannot be recycled (both the above reasons).

So, why are they allowed to be sold at all?
There's a reason we ensured all of our kids were potty trained by 12 months. Forgetting about that aspect of life is a wonderful thing.

There's a reason we ensured all of our kids were potty trained by 12 months. Forgetting about that aspect of life is a wonderful thing.
Tim, I still have to cope with the unaesthetic aspects of it, personally.

I had a total colectomy in 2001 because of severe diverticular disease. No precursors, so almost certainly genetic. About 3 feet of redundant colon (9 feet long, instead of the more normal 6-7 feet).

No ileo-caecal valve left, and about 25cm of large intestine left. Fortunately, not a colostomy. My surgeon was at the height of his skill when he fixed up all the problems in my abdomen - apart from the above, I had holes in the omentum, adhesions from the appendicectomy when I was thirteen y.o., two anastomoses joining the small rescuable part of my large intestine to the end of the ileum and the top of my rectum.

Brutal, meat ball surgery. I live with the consequences every day.

Fortunate to have it when I did. Two years later, I had open heart surgery, and on Warfarin (or Clexane), so I would never survive that surgery after the heart surgery.

I'm very fortunate to be alive.
Puts all my other health issues into perspective ...

Back