Documentary Planet Garbage

P7290090.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A strip mined mountain. It used to look like the others around it.

P7290115-Pano-2.jpg

The remnant of the Hayman wildfire (human started) of 2004. Some green starting to return after so many years.

P7290134.jpg

Small whiskey bottle just outside of a lovely yard display (pickup truck filled with plastic flowers - "Our Happy Place").

View attachment 230417
A strip mined mountain. It used to look like the others around it.

View attachment 230418
The remnant of the Hayman wildfire (human started) of 2004. Some green starting to return after so many years.

View attachment 230419
Small whiskey bottle just outside of a lovely yard display (pickup truck filled with plastic flowers - "Our Happy Place").
Thanks for bringing another aspect in, Walter, mankind treating the globe we live on as garbage.

overflow - containers are nowhere large enough to hold that mass
View attachment 230458
... and the same reaction everywhere: deposing the garbage all around on the ground when the containers are full. One starts and within hours there's more on the ground than inside the bins. And here it's definitely the adults who are the eco-pigs. Sometimes I'm asking myself if we really have more a(nti)-social people nowadays than socially responsible ones?

Although I have seen this example of human behavior many times in my part of the globe, this is still a sobering and slightly depressing thread.
Perhaps this might spur someone to create a collaborative exhibit of gorgeous landscapes around the world with garbage in the frame. I'm thinking of those glorious seascapes or Icelandic scenes with a can or bottle discarded on the shore.
That might be an exhibit that would interest some major museums and travel around the world as an educational display and fund-raiser.
Trying to not just be saddened. I have grandchildren.

Perhaps this might spur someone to create a collaborative exhibit of gorgeous landscapes around the world with garbage in the frame. I'm thinking of those glorious seascapes or Icelandic scenes with a can or bottle discarded on the shore.
That might be an exhibit that would interest some major museums and travel around the world as an educational display and fund-raiser.
Trying to not just be saddened. I have grandchildren.
I agree that this problem is huge - but framing it may be a good way to raise awareness. I think we might even think about a Twitter "stream" ... I'm not yet any good at Twitter, but you have a very valuable point there, and I'd be prepared to put in the necessary self-education ...

Besides, it's not as if these images can't have a certain aesthetic value - not in what they show, obviously, but in the way it is displayed. Such an approach could support the impact as well ... Might be well worth the effort. I'm a bit wary about starting this on my own; if someone (or a couple of people) join in, we might get this off the ground ...

Here's another one - and I think it illustrates what I was trying to say ...

L2623587.jpg

M.

I agree that this problem is huge - but framing it may be a good way to raise awareness. I think we might even think about a Twitter "stream" ... I'm not yet any good at Twitter, but you have a very valuable point there, and I'd be prepared to put in the necessary self-education ...

Besides, it's not as if these images can't have a certain aesthetic value - not in what they show, obviously, but in the way it is displayed. Such an approach could support the impact as well ... Might be well worth the effort. I'm a bit wary about starting this on my own; if someone (or a couple of people) join in, we might get this off the ground ...

View attachment 230637

M.
Agree with aesthetics. For me in most cases the only way to bear this throw-away mentality.
Here's the latest trend: deposing waste in public spaces hoping there will be people taking it with them.
This has been standing here for over a month.
P1025425.3.jpg

Attachments

• P1025427.3.jpg
    P1025427.3.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 273

View attachment 230637

M.
Do not go to any market without the right and sufficient stuff.
Matt and Walter, I have evaluated this thread from a rather basic point of view and find so far six contributors.
In case there is no increase in co-workers from a lot of places you will not raise any interest in twitter or venues that do have the funds to pay for an exhibition.
I do not say this to deter anybody from taking pictures of garbage and posting them in this thread. With enough material it may become known to people outside this forum. Therefore some real work needs to be done before going public with the results.
Concerning aesthetics, there is no need feeling queasy, photos do not soil fingers and they do not smell. What is acceptable socially is quite another question.
I hope I have not been too harsh.

Do not go to any market without the right and sufficient stuff.
Matt and Walter, I have evaluated this thread from a rather basic point of view and find so far six contributors.
In case there is no increase in co-workers from a lot of places you will not raise any interest in twitter or venues that do have the funds to pay for an exhibition.
I do not say this to deter anybody from taking pictures of garbage and posting them in this thread. With enough material it may become known to people outside this forum. Therefore some real work needs to be done before going public with the results.
Concerning aesthetics, there is no need feeling queasy, photos do not soil fingers and they do not smell. What is acceptable socially is quite another question.
I hope I have not been too harsh.
Thank you for your clear words, Rolf!

I think you took this a little too literally, though - I for one didn't directly aim for an exhibition, but for a sort of awareness campaign that could be done based on the images in this thread, and maybe spread the idea to document this problem in a telling and more memorable way. That's why I brought "aesthetics" into it - if you look at an image and see something more than the act of littering, it may stick with you for a while. I for one have already developed a sort of eye for the issue - it's everywhere, but not everything is worth showing because it'd only appear trivial (which it never is).

Anyhow, it's just an idea I wanted to float ... if doesn't find any takers, I can go ahead with it or leave it, nothing lost ...

M.

Thank you for your clear words, Rolf!

I think you took this a little too literally, though - I for one didn't directly aim for an exhibition, but for a sort of awareness campaign that could be done based on the images in this thread, and maybe spread the idea to document this problem in a telling and more memorable way. That's why I brought "aesthetics" into it - if you look at an image and see something more than the act of littering, it may stick with you for a while. I for one have already developed a sort of eye for the issue - it's everywhere, but not everything is worth showing because it'd only appear trivial (which it never is).

Anyhow, it's just an idea I wanted to float ... if doesn't find any takers, I can go ahead with it or leave it, nothing lost ...

M.
What you say is alright with me, Matt.
I think we are not very far asunder in what we want and what is feasible. So let this thread simmer for a while and then look how the photos could be evaluated to generate more interest.

Back