Documentary Planet Garbage

PB094868.3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's bad in a lot of Western countries, but in many developing countries it's truly horrifying.

DSCF1351.jpg

In Morocco, a country of stunning natural beauty, people truly tend to drop whatever they no longer need exqctly where they are standing and then walk away. This includes police officers, so I can only surmise that there simply is no littering law (although their recent move to allow only (semi?) disposable plastic bags seems to make a clear difference for the amount of airborne travellibg plastic). In addition to that, even the most beautiful quaint little oasis towns have their open air gqrbage dumps, such as in this photo, which smell truly foul.

DSCF1514.jpg

Above: large scale garbage dump at the middle of nowhere city of Dakhla. I think it is collected by the municipality, and then dropped just outside of town and burned. It's also about 100m away from the Atlantic, so plenty will still make its way into the sea...

As a side note, I am imagining a distant past where some people were angry at others for letting the shards of their broken pottery just laying on the ground instead of reusing them or getting rid of them properly, and archeologists now being over the moon to find those shards of pottery... But then again, it's difficult to imagine the kind of societal upheaval it would take for archeologists and historians of the future to have any trouble finding out how we live anno 2020, given the mass of data on all sorts of storage media we are producing every single day...

Back