Documentary Planet Garbage

... and if you think that we could feed most of those who starve and die of hunger every year just by a behaviour based on the ideals of humanism: sharing and distributing evenly. And spending all the money on nourishing people and sharing our welfare instead of waging wars and producing weapons. In all the so-called wellfare states the number of kids has gone down drastically. So we know how world population could be kept in balance or even reduced.
Don't get me started :(

Unfortunately in the name of hygiene and correctness, so MUCH perfectly acceptable food has to be thrown out (by law) due to
a breach in the cold chain or expiry date having been reached. The wastage especially from restaurants and supermarkets is shockingly appalling

Meanwhile bin pickers eat thoroughly disgusting left overs they find in the trash out of sheer desperation

.... another story for another time and place, back to normal transmissions

Indeed. Prior to asking my question I did go to the original first post here to see what the premise was.
Thank you for your interesting reply

Ah? that is interesting - I see your location given as Bremen, so you live in a very beautiful historic city

Yes we are witnesses without (apparently) being pro-active by removing said garbage. We snap a photo, leave it lying and move along.
I do that too because the vastness of the task is beyond comprehension (in this country). There is too much poverty and it would appear
that when staying alive is the priority, cleaning up around you becomes very much secondary in importance

My images serve as social narrative / journalistic / documentary

View attachment 321890
thanks for sharing this image - it is an essential in order to comprehend and commiserate

Your notion of Bremen seems to be biased (by what?)
In fact this is an iffy town. Only a small section - Schnoor Viertel - is of real historic interest.

Your notion of Bremen seems to be biased (by what?)

Hamburg, Luebeck, Bremen ... :) I have seen incredibly beautiful images posted on the web.
We have a friend there and had incorporated Bremen in our intended itinerary for a trip in April 2020.
Needless to say, that trip got cancelled and our plans never came to pass, but it is certainly somewhere
I'd love to visit some time in the future, hopefully

It is certainly unsocial and unwanted in probably all photographic circles to take pictures that do not beautify the content.
I am guilty of that too.
So I guess posting these pics in this forum is a small scale rebellion - but nothing to be afraid of.

In the daily rags during recent weeks pictures of garbage have become noticeably more prominent.

Whenever outside to take images of garbage I get usually asked what my interest in these pics is.
People tend to get round eyes when I tell them that I post my findings in a forum.
So far I have been unsuccessful to find any other venue to create more interest for this theme.
At least the constant occupation with the omnipresent garbage does sharpen my own senses to become
a witness to the permanent decline of carefulness.
Quite interesting, Rolf. The same thing happens to me. Every time I take those garbage pics there is someone who stops to ask me "what exactly did you just take a photo of?" Of course I show them the display and ... am in the midst of a longer and fascinating talk with a person I normally would not have got into a conversation with.

P7081926.1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

'Disposable' electric scooter there ...

Why are these god-awful things even allowed?
Here in Munich, you see them *everywhere*. If it wasn't so annoying, I'd find it disconcerting ...

On a related note, yesterday, a guy past me on a bike shouting oscenities at the top of his voice (only one obscenity really, directed at women, but in all languages he knew). He was either really ill or just letting off steam - anyhow, noone cared about him being in such a state. Caring has come to only mean caring about oneself. The way the scooter concept works (use, leave) reflects that very succinctly.

On the wall of a local train station, I saw: "Wenn jeder für sich selber sorgt, ist für jeden gesorgt." - If everyone is looking after themselves, everyone's looked after. Sound good, right? Except that it's completely wrong because there are those who can't look after themselves: children, the poor, the sick, the displaced, the elderly ... Why people don't get this is beyond me.

M.

Back