Please share what did you get for Xmas this year?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Please share what you received or got for yourself this Xmas, photography or not related?

20221210_153733.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I got for myself a Fujifilm Instax Wide mobile printer and I haven't had this much fun printing in a long time. I just can't stop making them (I already used a pack of 10 since I got it 2 days ago).
I'm printing pictures I made and writing on the side Xmas greetings and giving them away as Xmas cards (at 1.25 £ coat each they are not the cheapest option but the most fun and rewarding). They are so much bigger then the Instax Mini (literally 2 of them put together).

I also bought a Haoge Macro Focusing Rail, not the best quality but it's what's I can afford, well it's actually free because I had a Amazon Gift Card, but I can't wait to start focus stacking in the coming weeks and months. It should arrive tomorrow.

I’ll stick to the photography related items I gifted myself this year, which is possibly the first year in many where there isn’t a camera under the tree (thank god).

A larger eye cup for my Nikon Df

4 Nikon AI-S lenses; 20mm f3.5, 28mm f2, 105mm f2.8, and a 25-50mm f4

3 themed soft cover photo books of my pictures; Bombay Beach, Slab City, and Landscapes in B&W

3 off camera multicolor LED lights

A lens spanner

Ok. That’s everything I think. At least for now 😂

I’ll stick to the photography related items I gifted myself this year, which is possibly the first year in many where there isn’t a camera under the tree (thank god).

A larger eye cup for my Nikon Df

4 Nikon AI-S lenses; 20mm f3.5, 28mm f2, 105mm f2.8, and a 25-50mm f4

3 themed soft cover photo books of my pictures; Bombay Beach, Slab City, and Landscapes in B&W

3 off camera multicolor LED lights

A lens spanner

Ok. That’s everything I think. At least for now 😂
Well I only said not photography related for all the bad boys and girls who get whisky, scotch and wine bottles instead :p

Very nice self gifts :)

No photo stuff specifically for Christmas this year. My wife and I have already bought our presents for each other, and they're waiting under our tree. Right now I'll just be happy to get her home safe and sound. She had quadruple coronary bypass surgery two days ago, and I'm sitting beside of her in the cardiac recovery area. Long recovery road ahead of her.

No photo stuff specifically for Christmas this year. My wife and I have already bought our presents for each other, and they're waiting under our tree. Right now I'll just be happy to get her home safe and sound. She had quadruple coronary bypass surgery two days ago, and I'm sitting beside of her in the cardiac recovery area. Long recovery road ahead of her.
I hope both of you will come out well and health, Ann the good luck in the world and my warmest wishes and regards. Ovi.

My quad took place the day before New Years Eve two years ago now.
Hope your wife is feeling better soon. She should if all went well with the surgery. She should feel lucky you get to be there with her. I had to go it alone due to covid restrictions. In 'n out in four days.
Walking is what my doctor ordered so I was doing it before the physical therapist even made it to my bedside once I got out of the ICU recovery. Nothing like having an old man walking down the hall not giving a s!@# if his hospital gown is blowing open in back from the wind as he goes down the hall.
Best of luck to her, and Merry Christmas!

My quad took place the day before New Years Eve two years ago now.
Hope your wife is feeling better soon. She should if all went well with the surgery. She should feel lucky you get to be there with her. I had to go it alone due to covid restrictions. In 'n out in four days.
Walking is what my doctor ordered so I was doing it before the physical therapist even made it to my bedside once I got out of the ICU recovery. Nothing like having an old man walking down the hall not giving a s!@# if his hospital gown is blowing open in back from the wind as he goes down the hall.
Best of luck to her, and Merry Christmas!
The surgery did go well, but she has never responded to anesthesia very well. She's a lot better today than yesterday though.

The surgery did go well, but she has never responded to anesthesia very well. She's a lot better today than yesterday though.
I remember waking up in recovery with the nurses saying 'Breathe, breathe!'.
I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I looked at the clock and it was late afternoon. I was supposed to be done hours before. They said I went back to sleep and they couldn't remove the tube before I was breathing on my own. I finally woke up and forced myself to breathe (more like remembered to breathe) so they'd get the tube out. They told me they didn't like to leave it in more than 5 hours after surgery had ended.
I don't think I'll ever take breathing normally again as matter of fact. It's supposed to be 2nd nature right? For a while there it wasn't.

Technically, the GR III was a Christmas gift.
That was the big one.

Some smaller ones are the Tamron 200-400/5.6 in a-mount, the TTArtisan optical finder for the GR and the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

My wife and I don’t believe in waiting for Christmas as the day to get gifts. Same as we don’t believe in waiting for the “Hallmark” holidays to show love to one another or making some big deal out of having to do something on/for your birthday.

If we see something we want, the bills are paid, the mortgage secure and there is food on the table, we get it.

Hope that she has a good recovery, Tony.

Bypass surgery is even more brutal than the open heart valve replacement surgery I had in 2003, what with them harvesting veins from everywhere to replace the damaged coronary arteries.

I remember waking up in recovery with the nurses saying 'Breathe, breathe!'.
I couldn't figure out what was going on. Then I looked at the clock and it was late afternoon. I was supposed to be done hours before. They said I went back to sleep and they couldn't remove the tube before I was breathing on my own. I finally woke up and forced myself to breathe (more like remembered to breathe) so they'd get the tube out. They told me they didn't like to leave it in more than 5 hours after surgery had ended.
I don't think I'll ever take breathing normally again as matter of fact. It's supposed to be 2nd nature right? For a while there it wasn't.
Could not agree more!

Had my mitral valve replaced in 2003. I was on a ventilator for 2 days after the surgery, and anaesthetised during that time. Horrible bloody thing! They were still removing it when they reversed the anaesthesia. I'm very glad they had told me what to expect before the surgery, as otherwise I would probably have panicked.

It seems to me that being under general anaesthesia for so long caused some minor brain damage, as I have had some difficulty recalling specific words on demand ever since.

I also have bad reactions to general anaesthesia. I'm still allergic to eggs, and GAs are egg based, or were then.

My latest cardiac ablation (for atrial flutter) was emergency surgery in the middle of COVID, so that was quite a performance. Both Anaesthetist and Cardiologist had to get government permission, as Melbourne Private was not their base hospital, but was where the special operating suite and equipment was located.

If I may, prayers to you and your wife for a positive experience and speedy recovery.

Thoughts and prayers for Mrs. Turley, and all of you who are suffering at the moment.

Now, the gift to myself is technically an early one which is the Super-Takumar. I am going to stencil gaffer for my lenses too so I have my own DIY K-3 Jet Black Edition.
P1330638.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My gift to my true friends and the ones that are dearest to me are framed prints good for at least 100 years. I won't be doing Hahnemuhle for now but maybe next year, haha!

My gift to my true friends and the ones that are dearest to me are framed prints good for at least 100 years. I won't be doing Hahnemuhle for now but maybe next year, haha!
I do wonder if anyone has lived long enough with a print to test those claims ... sure you can say that "those belonged to my great great great great grandma" but 100 years ago most prints were still made of glass. (Are they nuclear explosions from WWIII hotter than the sun proof?)

I do wonder if anyone has lived long enough with a print to test those claims ... sure you can say that "those belonged to my great great great great grandma" but 100 years ago most prints were still made of glass.
They are just laboratory engineered/tested plus pigment ink must be used. I believe there is the fine print on how they must be archived including humidity values, temperature, etc. We'll know in 100 years if the manufacturers are conning us!

Are they nuclear explosions from WWIII hotter than the sun proof?
Not sure, we'll see how the current war goes and if it goes nuclear, we'll check if those 400-year prints can withstand such explosions :LOL: . Europe has a huge collection of fine art archival prints!

Last edited:
Please share what you received or got for yourself this Xmas, photography or not related?

View attachment 352176
I got for myself a Fujifilm Instax Wide mobile printer and I haven't had this much fun printing in a long time. I just can't stop making them (I already used a pack of 10 since I got it 2 days ago).
I'm printing pictures I made and writing on the side Xmas greetings and giving them away as Xmas cards (at 1.25 £ coat each they are not the cheapest option but the most fun and rewarding). They are so much bigger then the Instax Mini (literally 2 of them put together).

I also bought a Haoge Macro Focusing Rail, not the best quality but it's what's I can afford, well it's actually free because I had a Amazon Gift Card, but I can't wait to start focus stacking in the coming weeks and months. It should arrive tomorrow.
Ovi, we still have each other ... Best Christmas present ever!
We've been married for 40 years now.

Best wishes for a swift and full recovery!:th_salute:

I have bought, traded, sold and swapped quite a lot this year, so I am somewhat left with just the Pana Leica 9 mm, and that one Santa cant deliver until January the 4 due to restocking troubles, or so the little Mrs informs me of. Not to sure about how she talks with the fellow, but what she says he says normally holds true, so I am not questioning it. :drinks:

Back