Challenge! Please share your "one picture story"

PA260007.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yeah, me too. That's not gonna buff out as us car guys like to say.
@AlwaysOnAuto, totally understand what you and @Brownie are saying. When I'm on the street casually I avoid shooting children and I'm very careful of the space of the homeless or disabled. I have great respect and admiration, though not emulation, for Arbus – we're in a far different societal place today. I had passed this fellow without a shot on my way down the street. After a while and a coffee, maybe 45 minutes, he was exactly where and how I left him – for me now a compelling story.

@AlwaysOnAuto, totally understand what you and @Brownie are saying. When I'm on the street casually I avoid shooting children and I'm very careful of the space of the homeless or disabled. I have great respect and admiration, though not emulation, for Arbus – we're in a far different societal place today. I had passed this fellow without a shot on my way down the street. After a while and a coffee, maybe 45 minutes, he was exactly where and how I left him – for me now a compelling story.
I'm sorry, I thought he (Brownie) was replying to the shattered screen photo, not the guy on the bench.
My error.

Oysterville, WA, is a special place to me. It is 100 years past its heyday. But the homes are there, spotless, well-maintained and interesting. And mostly original. At the same time there is almost no physical presence of occupants. There is the occasional gardener but mostly the residents are unseen. The church and schoolhouse have been closed because of the pandemic. But yesterday they were open, Here are a couple of photos of the piano.

The oysters. Willapa Bay oysters are petite and delicious. I had a plate of them sauteed for lunch before I took these photos. Damned fine eating.

My current fave combo: Leica M9, '57 KMZ Jupiter 8.

Last edited:

A conundrum, the disabled, disadvantaged and cast aside, do we ignore them or do we celebrate them? I do not ignore the disabled in public. That fellow in the wheelchair deserves a "hello" just as much as the next fellow. But photographing them seems another question. Why? Is it us or them? I try to be catholic in my tastes and what I point a camera at. Those on the fringe are still part of the fabric.

A conundrum, the disabled, disadvantaged and cast aside, do we ignore them or do we celebrate them? I do not ignore the disabled in public. That fellow in the wheelchair deserves a "hello" just as much as the next fellow. But photographing them seems another question. Why? Is it us or them? I try to be catholic in my tastes and what I point a camera at. Those on the fringe are still part of the fabric.
I understand, and it is a difficult question. I spent a lot of time on the street when shooting anything was fair game. Today, people react differently and I try to respect that. I'll do candid portraits with and without permission, for instance, group scenes, sometimes overtly sometimes not. I think the line I draw is when it starts to feel like I'd be taking advantage unfairly. So, "hello" yes, but are they down for a photograph ? Would it make someone feel they're targeted for their "otherness" ?

Probably because I really like this lens/camera combo so much (M9/J8) here is another photo of a gate in Oysterville. QC was spot-on the day this '57 KMZ left the factory.

Back