Leica Pls suggest me about choosing my tele-lens

foxnumber

Rookie
I don't have enough money for leica m90, but still want shoot some nice focus pics. So is there some ideas for me? Which one of the"Konica hexagon 90mm2.8" and "voigtlander 75mm1.8" do you prefer?

Nikkor-P 8.5cm F2 in Leica Thread Mount or the Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 in Leica Thread mount are my favorites. I use them more than the 90/2 Summicron. Both are perfect on my M9 - did not require any adjustments. I use Voigtlander LTM to M-Mount adapters, very high quality. The lenses were less than $400 each, with the adapters.

Nikkor-P 8.5cm F2 in Leica Thread Mount or the Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 in Leica Thread mount are my favorites. I use them more than the 90/2 Summicron. Both are perfect on my M9 - did not require any adjustments. I use Voigtlander LTM to M-Mount adapters, very high quality. The lenses were less than $400 each, with the adapters.

THX

I have the 75mm 1.8, a Summarit 90mm f2.5 and a 90mm tele-elmarit (the thin version). Technically the best lens of the three is the Summarit. And it's cheap by Leica standards. It's also smaller/lighter than the CV 75mm 1.8. But I prefer the 75mm look, which is a bit more classic wide open and then really sharpens up quickly when stoped down a bit. By 2.4 the CV looks as sharp to me as the Summarit.

If you shoot a 35mm then I'd probably get the CV 75mm 1.8. But if you shoot a lot at 50mm then the 75mm is too close for my liking. I'd look for a good used 90mm Summarit.

Gordon

I have the 75mm 1.8, a Summarit 90mm f2.5 and a 90mm tele-elmarit (the thin version). Technically the best lens of the three is the Summarit. And it's cheap by Leica standards. It's also smaller/lighter than the CV 75mm 1.8. But I prefer the 75mm look, which is a bit more classic wide open and then really sharpens up quickly when stoped down a bit. By 2.4 the CV looks as sharp to me as the Summarit.

If you shoot a 35mm then I'd probably get the CV 75mm 1.8. But if you shoot a lot at 50mm then the 75mm is too close for my liking. I'd look for a good used 90mm Summarit.

Gordon

So....the hexanon90 2.8 is just passed by everyone...?

So....the hexanon90 2.8 is just passed by everyone...?

I've never used one. It would be unfair to make a comment except that Konica M lenses are generally very well regarded. You could probably sell it for what you paid. Not a big risk with used Leica gear.

Gordon

I too was going to suggest the modern but non-aspherical 90mm f/2.5 Summarit. I've had voigtlander 90mm, 90mm f/2 (fat one), 90mm f/2.8 tele-elmarit and the 90mm Summarit. The Summarit is the only one I have currently. What attracted me was the packaging (small, light), decent build, focus throw, and pricing (by Leica standards). The 90mm f/2 summicron was too large. My sample of 90mm f/2.8 Tele-elmarit had a long and stiff focus throw. The voigtlander was sold before the digital M's were around. I used it on my Epson R-D1 shortly before selling it.

The Summarit's focus throw is short and fairly light. It made for quick focus action and I can go from near to far focus in a single action. Its ideal for the way I shoot. I usually return the lens to infinity or close focus position and quickly turn in a single direction to line up the patch. On the other hand, the fast light action means you have to also be more precise... which takes practice. At one point, I had all of the f/2.5 Summarits, they all have the same feel of a short light focus throw. Only the 50mm was sold because frankly, I had too many 50s to justify keeping all of them.

In regards to FOV, I'm not sure if this is intended on the M8 or M9. On the M8, my Summarit 75mm is usually my preference and the 90mm on the M9. I use a 2x magnifier with the 90mm on the M8.

I too was going to suggest the modern but non-aspherical 90mm f/2.5 Summarit. I've had voigtlander 90mm, 90mm f/2 (fat one), 90mm f/2.8 tele-elmarit and the 90mm Summarit. The Summarit is the only one I have currently. What attracted me was the packaging (small, light), decent build, focus throw, and pricing (by Leica standards). The 90mm f/2 summicron was too large. My sample of 90mm f/2.8 Tele-elmarit had a long and stiff focus throw. The voigtlander was sold before the digital M's were around. I used it on my Epson R-D1 shortly before selling it.

The Summarit's focus throw is short and fairly light. It made for quick focus action and I can go from near to far focus in a single action. Its ideal for the way I shoot. I usually return the lens to infinity or close focus position and quickly turn in a single direction to line up the patch. On the other hand, the fast light action means you have to also be more precise... which takes practice. At one point, I had all of the f/2.5 Summarits, they all have the same feel of a short light focus throw. Only the 50mm was sold because frankly, I had too many 50s to justify keeping all of them.

In regards to FOV, I'm not sure if this is intended on the M8 or M9. On the M8, my Summarit 75mm is usually my preference and the 90mm on the M9. I use a 2x magnifier with the 90mm on the M8.

Thank you,but ,the prize does a problem to me.I'm "just married"a year. Everything is going to paid.so,maybe a cheap one first.THX AGAIN.

I gave the 10.5cm F2.5 a workout today. I use the 90mm framelines, and they give me very tight framing.

attachment.php

A very special outing today at the Gulfarium at fort Walton Beach, Nikki was chosen as the volunteer from the audience for the show.

attachment.php

All shots at F5.6.

I gave the 10.5cm F2.5 a workout today. I use the 90mm framelines, and they give me very tight framing.

874-big-jump-ball.jpg

A very special outing today at the Gulfarium at fort Walton Beach, Nikki was chosen as the volunteer from the audience for the show.

886-fish-very-smelly.jpg

All shots at F5.6.

Wow....nice shot!

I am very happy with my Voigtlander 90mm APO Lanthar. Pound for pound I feel its the best value lens I have ever bought. Have a look at my pictures with it in the sample images section.

I am very happy with my Voigtlander 90mm APO Lanthar. Pound for pound I feel its the best value lens I have ever bought. Have a look at my pictures with it in the sample images section.

Well,finally I choose the konica hexanon 90mm 2.8 ,from a photographer live in the same city. It's looks nice ,small enough ,the sharpness is a bit softer but just ok ,the depth is good ....for digital camera,found some tiny chromatic dispersion between focus and mis-focus ,for B/W photo there is no problem. Picture upload later .

Thx all of you.

Lightroom has an easy-to-use correction for chromatic aberration. This is very easy to correct for a digitized image.

Buying from someone local is a big advantage.

Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APOLanthar is reputed to be an excellent lens, especially for the low cost; it's doubled from $300 to $600 in the last three years (these prices are for a brand new lens with warrantee).

I have the Elmarit-M 90/2.8, the Elmar 9cm/4 M collapsible and the Summarit-M 75/2.5. They are all good, but the Elmar on M9 and the Summarit-M on M8 are my favorites.

I'm seriously tempted to add the Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5 PC. The prices for the LTM version are getting rather high, but Nikkor-S model is still available at affordable prices. Amedeo Muscelli is willing to make a Nikkor-S->M adapter for the 90mm frame lines. I guess I will try that combination.

One question: I have been offered a "like new" Nikkor-S 10.5cm f/2.5 P - not PC - at an attractive price. I guess the "C" stands for better coating - but how much difference does it make?

The "PC" stands for 5-elements, Coated. This marking was used on earlier lenses. The "C" was dropped towards the later lenses of the series, as all lenses were coated by then. The "Nikkor-P" is later than the "Nikkor-PC".

Try to hold out for the LTM version- I've seen the 10.5cm F2.5 LTM lenses go at reasonable prices on RFF and GETDPI, less than the S-Mount lens + Adapter.

Back