Fuji Polarizing filter with the X-E1: Tips?

carlb

All-Pro
I'll often shoot with a polarizing filter, which can help get deep skies, while reducing glare and haze. Marumi makes some great performing cost effective polarizers that I highly recommend.

Coupled with the X-E1, they perform nicely:

8480096699_049e9aae2e.jpg

moon through by cbmn, on Flickr

8459157378_e2d702bb65_z.jpg

trestle and river by cbmn, on Flickr

There's a few issues, though.

1) On the X-E1, while rotating the filter to look for varying polarizing effect the EVF tends to compensate for the light-level change. The only thing I've found helps is to look for contrast of clouds deepening or such to tell when polarization is at a maximum, and that's not always easy to judge.

Does anyone have exposure setup or such they use to reduce the automatic level compensation in the EVF?

2) The X-E1 colors do shift to the blue-side when using a polarizer. I currently compensate in post for that.

Does anyone follow a set of steps to have the camera compensate the white balance? If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks much.

- Carl

In addition to looking at the clouds, you can look at the nature of the reflections on water, glass, foliage, etc. I find it odd that the colors are shifting, especially since you're using a good quality polarizer. Are you shooting in Auto WB? If so, maybe shooting at a consistent color temperature setting will help?

I've yet to try a polarizer on my X-E1, but as I use them a lot in my photography I hope the camera doesn't hamper that.

Carl, a note,
probably to late, because you have already bought the std polarizer, but they make a warming polarizer that warms up the color from the blueish tint that most polarizers give, especially in the mountains.

Moose Peterson, sells them as well as others, a bit more expensive though.

Dennis.

I have found that my B&W polarizer on the X-E1 throws off the AWB as well. The good news is it stays consistent throughout my series of shots so I can fix the WB in one photo and sync the rest to match.

Back