Film Showcase Polaroid SX 70 BW

Another shot, this was taken from indoors behind dusty glass (it's -29 outside), using manual focus on the SX70. There a some problems with this image, the Newton rings are inevitable as I haven't got a holder to prevent this. The top left has a spot that seems to appear in all the images I shoot, might be dust on the lens? I am waiting for the weather to let up so I can take some shots outdoors. On some other shots there is horizontal banding, not sure if it's the film or the rollers need a cleaning.

View attachment 148695

If you haven't already seen/heard of or got a copy, you might really enjoy Andre Kertesz' book of Polaroids - article & sample pics André Kertész: The Polaroids

“Taken in his apartment just north of New York City’s Washington Square, many of these photographs were shot either from his window or in the windowsill. We see a fertile mind at work, combining personal objects into striking still lifes set against cityscape backgrounds, reflected and transformed in glass surfaces. Almost entirely unpublished work, these photographs are a testament to the genius of the photographer’s eye as manifested in the simple Polaroid. 80 color photographs.”

Took these after his wife died in '77 & he got an SX-70.

The book itself is worth buying, its one of the little Phaidon ones not much bigger than a polaroid print itself (roughly 6x7).

If you haven't already seen/heard of or got a copy, you might really enjoy Andre Kertesz' book of Polaroids - article & sample pics André Kertész: The Polaroids

“Taken in his apartment just north of New York City’s Washington Square, many of these photographs were shot either from his window or in the windowsill. We see a fertile mind at work, combining personal objects into striking still lifes set against cityscape backgrounds, reflected and transformed in glass surfaces. Almost entirely unpublished work, these photographs are a testament to the genius of the photographer’s eye as manifested in the simple Polaroid. 80 color photographs.”

Took these after his wife died in '77 & he got an SX-70.

The book itself is worth buying, its one of the little Phaidon ones not much bigger than a polaroid print itself (roughly 6x7).

Thank you, I will.

I thought I would try SX70 BW again, as I didn't have much success the last time. It was better this time, but still not sure about it and it's so expensive. The first three shots were damaged because the frog tongue I had installed was pretty useless! Here are two decent shots, they are ok. I will try it again, and I think my camera rollers could do with a proper clean.

View attachment 184087

View attachment 184088

My parents used one for years. I always loved the style and look, especially the BW. These bring back fond memories.

The SX70 is a great instant camera, with it's sharp lens and great viewfinder. The new film has improved a lot since I first tried it, but it is very expensive compared with Fuji's monochrome wide film.

Back