pondering the impossible again - replacing my Olympus 75-300mm?

Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
Hmm, yes. Another point to consider :)

I've kind of been waiting since the release of the E-M1 mk2... but I also told myself "just the one camera and the one lens" when I bought the D750 kit last year.
Famous last words 🙃
Other than the 12-200....Oly has been beefing up the Pro line...hopefully they are thinking to be more consumer conscious in that new telezoom.

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Jan 3, 2012
Troy, NY
Narrator voice-over: "At this point in the conversation, the old coot with the fixation about super-zooms shows up."

Old Coot: Tilman, I would heartily suggest you give the Sony HX400V a try. You just might be astonished at the results. Up to 1200mm (e) reach, and really punchy, contrasty jpegs. Buy from somewhere with a liberal return policy.

(Old coot wanders off into the gloom, muttering to himself: "I'm only willing to carry so much, and I hate changing lenses.")

Cheers, Jock

Tilman Paulin

Top Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Tilman
(Old coot wanders off into the gloom, muttering to himself: "I'm only willing to carry so much, and I hate changing lenses.")

Cheers, Jock
Cheers Jock, I'm turning more into that myself :D

My temporary conclusion to the question was that there's only two "solutions" for me:
  • wait for a "better" m43 sensor
  • relax my own expectations at image quality :)

I had considered the 1 inch superzooms, but the newer ones are quite pricey.
Maybe I'll just go for fun. Will have a look at the Sony and maybe the Panasonic FZ300

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Late to the thread, but the D7200 is on sale at B&H for just under $700 right now and they have refurbished versions of the Nikon AF-P DX 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR for $180. Those are US prices but it looks like Henry's has it also has it new for $900 CAD? Not sure about sources for the lens up there.

Personally I'm looking for more information on the upcoming Olympus options and comparing them to the PL50-200 f/2.8-4.0. But I would still need the 1.4TC for that one and I haven't seen one anywhere.

Tilman Paulin

Top Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Tilman
comparing them to the PL50-200 f/2.8-4.0. But I would still need the 1.4TC for that one and I haven't seen one anywhere.
briefly looked into that one too, but talk about pricey :)

There's loads of options - the D7200 still being a good contender.
But ultimately I think I'll just have to ponder a bit more where I want to go with my photography... :)

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
I really wish Panasonic had created something to pair with their 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 instead of just updating the 45-200 and 100-300. Say a 50-225/250 f/3.5-5.6. Both the Oly and Pan 75/100-300mm options aren't as good at the long end anyway. Part is due to the lenses, but part is also probably due to that 500-600 eq range. It's takes a LOT more care in that range, more than many probably think.

Tilman Paulin

Top Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Tilman
so today I tried something completely different - which might be another approach to improve my "conundrum":
better image processing :)

I've gotten better and better results from my m43 cameras over time - via the improvements of raw converters (and better technique)

Today I tried Topaz AI Clear on one of my 75-300mm photos. (One of those photos that I wasn't 100% happy with...)
And I have to say that my first test surprised me in a positive way:

On the left is the conversion straight from Olympus Viewer (OV3)
On the right is that image (that I created in OV3) run through Topaz AI clear.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
before and after by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Douglas Squirrel
by tilman paulin, on Flickr

Tilman Paulin

Top Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Vancouver B.C.
Tilman
I think that is a substantial improvement, and I really like the image . . . it has great "feel" to it.
Cheers, Jock
I tried it on 2 other photos last night with similar results - or even slightly better.
(I think it works better on low ISO images - the squirrel was ISO 800 at 1/50s and 300mm - so there's also a bit of movement)

Not keen on adding yet another software to my workflow - you have to install/use Topaz Studio for this.
But there seems to be a batch processing option. If that works well enough it might save me some time - even with the additional software step.

Latest threads

Top Bottom